Glitch with Fob Unlocking/Starting & Mechanical Key

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandrewk

Twice now, in the same spot in the same parking lot, I have gone to unlock the car with the fob in my pocket. As soon as the door unlocks, the car starts beeping like the alarm has tripped, followed by the loud honks of the full blown car alarm. The only way to turn it off is by pressing a button on the remote while in the car.

I then try and start the car and it says "fob not detected". Putting the fob in it's slot in the armrest box solves this, and everything starts working again.

The last time this happened I immediately locked the car again, and then couldn't get back in. I pulled the mechanical key, but I could not get it to fully insert into the slot beneath the handle. It goes in about an inch, but no further. Has anyone tried to use this key? Is there a trick to it?

I'm not particularly concerned, because there are numerous ways to unlock/start the car (keypass, etc.). And this one glitch probably has a lot to do with RF near where I parked the car. But I would like to know how to use that mechanical key.

It sounds like you're getting interference from something in the area and it's causing this problem. Move the car to
another location and see if it changes anything.

As far as the key goes, you stick it into the slot under the handle to remove the plastic cover. The keys lock cylinder is inside
that cover, on the door handle. You must pop the cover off with the key to access the lock cylinder, to unlock the door :idea:

drdiesel1 said:
It sounds like you're getting interference from something in the area and it's causing this problem. Move the car to
another location and see if it changes anything.

As far as the key goes, you stick it into the slot under the handle to remove the plastic cover. The keys lock cylinder is inside
that cover, on the door handle. You must pop the cover off with the key to access the lock cylinder, to unlock the door :idea:

Which plastic cover? I see the slot (which has no cover) and can only insert the key about 1/2 inch. It doesn't engage with anything. I've tried it with both of our fobs.

---

update: Ok, I figured it out. The key is used to pop off that cover (like you said). You have to pull the key toward you, using it as a lever. Probably anything of similar size (like a small flathead screwdriver) should work.

Here is a video showing the process. The car used is a Cruze, but it's the same way with the Bolt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ0bNhg5k3Y

Back