Marketing costs added to Bolt invoice price...

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal1997

FH Dailey Chevrolet in San Leandro, California is selling the Bolt at invoice pricing through the Costco Auto Program. Salesman shared with me the invoice below for a 2017 Bolt EV Premier with DCFC, Infotainment and Driver Confidence II packages.

Invoice pricing matches the pricing published on Costco's website, except for the $1,065 in marketing "contributions" ("Dealer IMR Contribution" and "LMA Group Contribution") added to the invoice price. These added marketing contributions vary by region and by dealer participation in the marketing programs, but $1,000+ per vehicle seems awfully high for the handful of billboards and print ads I've seen for the Bolt. I guess those billboards don't pay for themselves.

Price works out to about $725 below MSRP -- not a great deal, but not a bad deal either given the initial demand (especially in the Bay Area). Capitol Chevrolet and Momentum Chevrolet, both in San Jose, are selling Bolts at MSRP.

Couple of other things to note --

• Cost to dealer net of holdback and finance credit is approximately $40,891 (MSRP of $43,510).
    Employee pricing is $40,284
    Supplier pricing is $41,918

IMG_6609.jpg

I had one and only one experience trying to negotiate a car purchase at "above invoice," and it was a painful and wasted effort, for this reason. You discover quite quickly that the true "cost" to the dealership is difficult to assess. The invoice includes items that are not part of the wholesale price. Even if you can make an invoice+ deal, you won't know your price unless the dealership lets you see the actual invoice (which normally they do not). Your price +/- MSRP is something you can know and compare, invoice+, not so much.

roundpeg said:
BTW, did they say when will Costco have any cars to sell?

He was taking deposits for any Bolts that were in-transit and not already reserved, as well as placing new orders for customer-configured Bolts. Their website showed about a dozen Bolts that were in-transit. He estimated 6-8 weeks for delivery on newly placed orders.

In either case, he said he would honor the Costco deal @ invoice pricing (with the added cost of the marketing contributions).

cal1997 said:
He was taking deposits for any Bolts that were in-transit and not already reserved, as well as placing new orders for customer-configured Bolts. Their website showed about a dozen Bolts that were in-transit. He estimated 6-8 weeks for delivery on newly placed orders.

In either case, he said he would honor the Costco deal @ invoice pricing (with the added cost of the marketing contributions).

That's interesting. When I called Costco a couple of weeks ago I was told they wouldn't even have pricing on the Bolt until 30-60 days after it was at the dealerships (meaning, mid-January, at the earliest).

wwhitney said:
FWIW, the 2017 Bolt EV is once again listed on costcoauto.com

Cheers, Wayne

So it is. I'm not a member so I can't get pricing or locate a dealer. If anyone else who is can obtain some additional pricing that would be good info to share.

cal1997 said:
  • Cost to dealer net of holdback and finance credit is approximately $40,891 (MSRP of $43,510).
    Employee pricing is $40,284
    Supplier pricing is $41,918
Of note on these, GM pays the dealer an additional:
Employee pricing $2519 (EMPINC)
Supplier Pricing $886 (SUPINC)

Net to the dealer in both these scenarios is $42,804

Back