OEM self-sealing Michelin tires unavailable @ Chevrolet dealership

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dramenof

Hi,

My Bolt EV sustained damage to a tire sidewall that required me to get a new tire. I ordered a replacement "DT Different Tread, Chevy Bolt" Michelin Energy Saver A/S tire from Tirerack.com for $116. Minutes later the Tirerack called to tell me that this tire lacked the self-sealing feature. They stated that the self-sealing tire would cost $180, but they didn't have any in stock. I cancelled my order and then called my local Chevrolet dealership (Bill Pierre in Seattle), was told that they could source the appropriate self-sealing replacement tire for $180, and had the car towed to them.

When I picked up the car I discovered that the new tire was not self-sealing. The dealership initially stated there was no difference and that this was the appropriate tire for the car in the GM parts catalog. Ultimately they realized that the self-sealing tires are different, but they didn't have one in stock. The GM parts catalog lists the self-sealing tire for the rear wheels, but lists the non-self-sealing tire for the front wheels. The Bolt doesn't include a portable compressor or fix-a-flat due to the self-sealing tires. The dealership then suggested that I visit their parts department to see if I could purchase a can of tire sealant and an air compressor.

I'd like to have the new tire replaced with a self-sealing one, and I'm happy to pay the difference in price to source the appropriate tire for my car. I often travel on dirt roads where there's no cell phone reception, making the self-sealing tires an important feature for me. Please let me know if you're able to help.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

If you haven’t already done so, try calling Michelin directly to find out if they can help you out. These tires are made in the USA, but are only original equipment on the Bolt, so there’s probably not a lot of demand yet for them.

I have three of the OEM self-sealing tires for sale. These are barely used, with just a couple of hundred miles on them - they aren't even very dirty.

I'll ship boxed, UPS, from Portland, OR. They weigh about 25 lbs. boxed, so shipping should run from about $25 to west coast to maybe $35 back east (each).

Make offer to rwzehr @ gmail (dot) com, or PM here. PayPal accepted.

Chevy dealership seems to think they can get me one of the self sealing tires within the next week or so. Thanks for the tips and I'll message EldRick if it doesn't work out.

Thanks
Dave

The social media team seemed to stop replying months ago and from everything I've read, these weren't exactly Corporate Executive Assistants...While I'm sure they forwarded complaints emails, would appear their primary responsibility was to refer you to your local franchised dealer...

If the parts catalog does indeed list the incorrect tire for the front tire, I wonder how many received the wrong non-sealing tire...I recall on the volt forums, a Bolt owner stated their Bolt tire was the same price as the Volts tire which was surprising to me...Just really surprised dealerships have not discovered this yet...

Our sincerest apologies for our recent lack of response on here, everyone. Some difficulties on our end caused our disappearance, but we're here now to help as best as we can! If your dealer still hasn't been able to locate a self-sealing tire for you, please send us an email at [email protected] so we can get involved and help. Be sure to include your VIN and dealership name in that email, as we'll need those details.

To review our privacy policy, please visit http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7304.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Both Michelin and Tire Rack web sites list two different variants of the Michelin Energy Saver in 215/50R17 91H.

The Michelin part numbers are 11674 and 33539. The 33539 is listed as TPC on Michelin's web site. Tire Rack's web site indicates that the TPC spec tire is the OEM tire for the Chevrolet Volt. The other one is listed as "DT Different Tread, Chevy Bolt", but is not listed as an OEM tire under the OEM tab. There is also a 94V version with Michelin part number 51569.

https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/Chevrolet/Bolt%20EV/2017/Premier.html
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtering=true&width=215%2F&ratio=50&diameter=17&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2017&autoModel=Bolt%20EV&autoModClar=&sortCode=49550&tireIndex=0#allTitle

If the non-TPC version of the 91H tire is not the correct OEM tire with the self-sealing feature (as told to the original poster by Tire Rack), then it appears to be a variant that is not listed on either Michelin or Tire Rack web sites.

Still waiting for my Chevrolet dealership to get the right tire. Tire Rack now has the appropriate self-sealing tire listed for sale as "ENERGY SAVER A/S SELFSEAL" in addition to the non-self-sealing tire with Bolt specific tread.

I have three of the OEM tires with about 200 miles of use for sale. Ships from Portland, OR. Make offer as a Private Message if interested.

EldRick said:
I have three of the OEM tires with about 200 miles of use for sale. Ships from Portland, OR. Make offer as a Private Message if interested.

I just have to ask, why do you have them for sale, did you change the rims?

Back