Teaching old dogs new tricks

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aidan

My father-in-law Tinkers in the garage as a mechanic when speaking with him about transitioning to an electric vehicle his concern is will he be able to change his own oil excetera and deal with engine repair without knowing all of the new technology. Would it be something the regular person could learn and still do their own car maintenance?

That's a good question what is involved in learning the new technology to be able to do small maintenance and small repairs on electric vehicles?

Aidan said:
Would it be something the regular person could learn and still do their own car maintenance?

Yes. Adding windshield washer fluid is a good way to get started. That is all I've done to maintain my Smart Electric Drive after almost three years, 20000 km and not a single visit to the dealer since purchase. Zero maintenance.

Modern gas engines are not made for regular maintenance either, it's prohibitively complex to train enough to fix them. EV's are far more simple in comparison. Electric motors will outlast the life of the car with no maintenance required.

I think that the parts most likely to require maintenance are the ones that are most like a conventional gas vehicle, so I wouldn't expect to see much difference in terms of what the average do-it-yourself mechanic can do. Things like lights, fluids, wipers, tire, brakes are all the same on both types of vehicles.

Now if someone is into replacing clutches, piston rings, etc on their gas car then that's another matter...

In more than 4 years with my Leaf, I have rotated the tires, changed the brake pads, and refilled the washer fluid. He will be able to do everything he needs to on an EV. It's less about "teaching old dogs new tricks" and more about having to know fewer tricks in the first place.

What they said.

Plus, my guess is you'll start to see a "tuner" market for EV's where people will add bigger batteries, more powerful motors, etc. Always have been and always will be people modifying their vehicles. People have been converting ICE cars to EV's for decades, and I don't expect that market to dry up, but to expand into modifying production EV's.

From 2007:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp_jwE0KdOk
From 2010
https://vimeo.com/19651664

The battery has enough voltage to kill you so I would caution against any mechanical maintenance and leave that up to the professionals

I don't own an electric or hybrid vehicle but the articles I read stated that hybrid vehicles require more maintenance than all-electric is this true and would the same thing apply because of the battery leave the actual mechanical maintenance to professionals

Tcdn said:
I don't own an electric or hybrid vehicle but the articles I read stated that hybrid vehicles require more maintenance than all-electric is this true and would the same thing apply because of the battery leave the actual mechanical maintenance to professionals
Hybrid vehicles require more maintenance because they still have an ICE. Oil changes, spark plugs, transmission, etc.

There is no mechanical maintenance required on an EV (at least the drivetrain), so no reason to mess with the battery at all. A long time down the road, you might be doing brake or suspension work, or perhaps changing the coolant, but none of that involves the battery.

sam said:
The battery has enough voltage to kill you so I would caution against any mechanical maintenance and leave that up to the professionals
It's The Current That Kills

Offhand it would seem that a shock of 10,000 volts would be more deadly than 100 volts. But this is not so! Individuals have been electrocuted by appliances using ordinary house currents of 110 volts and by electrical apparatus in industry using as little as 42 volts direct current. The real measure of shock's intensity lies in the amount of current (amperes) forced though the body, and not the voltage. Any electrical device used on a house wiring circuit can, under certain conditions, transmit a fatal current.

While any amount of current over 10 milliamps (0.01 amp) is capable of producing painful to severe shock, currents between 100 and 200 mA (0.1 to 0.2 amp) are lethal. Currents above 200 milliamps (0.2 amp), while producing severe burns and unconsciousness, do not usually cause death if the victim is given immediate attention. Resuscitation, consisting of artificial respiration, will usually revive the victim.
fatal_current.gif

Back