BerkeleyBowlt

Howto: Adding more padding to front seats

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:21 am

As suggested in the Bolt Front Seats Recall Media Campaign thread, I'm creating a separate thread for this.

If you think the front seat doesn't have enough padding on the bottom part, it's possible to add foam without removing the seat from the car or disassembling it. The change doesn't affect the heater because you're adding new foam beneath the existing foam, and it's easy to undo. It takes maybe 15 minutes and no tools are required.

Here's a quick-and-dirty video showing how:

https://youtu.be/2dgxWTOnVn8

This is with leather seats. I don't know if cloth seats are the same. Maybe someone else can make a better video than me.
Robert Mathews
Cajun Red Bolt Premier

flamaest

Re: Howto: Adding more padding to front seats

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:36 am

Excellent, thank you for making this video. It is very clear and helps a lot.

I am wondering if the next step is to figure out how to get the seat back unhinged to put padding in that area as well.

Great job.

Tttait

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 am

I'm happy with mine now. After driving it for a day I decided to add more layers of foam in. I added more of the closed cell foam outboard under the troublesome side bolster, it even makes the turn up to vertical to go partially between the foam and the side of the seat frame. Another layer from side to side under my hips, and then a layer of memory foam over that.

It still looks totally stock as in the photos I posted earlier today (see media recall of seats thread).

Suggest its easier to get foam where you want it if you fully recline the set back. Also suggest multiple layers of closed cell semi rigid foam on the springs for durability, multiple thinner layers for adjustability. See previous posts for info on memory foam too.

Thanks for making the video.

I don't want to officially endorse this mod for the passenger seat as there is an air bag sensor, but I did mod my passenger seat too to match the drivers side, and the sensor in my car still works fine. If you do your passenger seat, it's on you, OK?

My wife feels btw the added "height" now makes the seat back align better as well.

This is a "tunable" mod. I think I'm happy now, but what I did won't necessarily be what you like. The point is it's so easy you can keep tweaking till your happy.

So Mary Barra, if the fix can be this simple, maybe you can get your Dealers to do it...? It's kind of embarrassing that GM didn't figure this out a long time ago.

SeanNelson

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:16 am

BerkeleyBowlt wrote:Here's a quick-and-dirty video showing how...

Fantastic - very clear and straightforward instructions. Thanks a ton for putting this together!

LeftieBiker

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:50 am

Great job. I'm fairly sure that GM will just leave it up to us, and to a few intrepid dealerships and upholstery shops, to take care of this. Then they'll either use thicker foam, or two sheets of it, next year.
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

Lumpy12

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:00 pm

I just checked and my cloth seats have the same clips as your leather ones, so adding the foam should be the same

Great job and thank you for doing this!

Wookie

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Great post - I pick my Bolt up this afternoon, CAN'T WAIT.

Have only sat in one at our local car show, and sat in mine when it arrived at the dealer last week. Haven't driven it yet.

Will keep this in mind if my seats get irritating.

DaveInAvl

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:22 pm

This looks like a good topic to pin :-)

flamaest

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Perhaps some users could suggest different foam types or online links which they have used to make their seats more conformable.

For example, can I just pick up one of numerous seat cushions on the market and extract the foam to slightly modify and insert into this seat. ... Is memory foam better?

Thanks all!

LeftieBiker

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:01 am

Jjeff in the Leaf forum suggests this company, with which he says he isn't affiliated - they just had good prices and a variety of different kinds and densities of foam. Here is what he wrote:

Foam is kind of made in 2 different ways, one way is how firm the foam is, how much weight it takes to compress it. The other more important way(IMO) is the weight of the foam, heavier the better. You can have a cheap light foam that supports a lot of weight, but breaks down quickly(think cheap sofa). Then you can have a heavier weight foam that is either soft or hard, depending on your weight. For our sofa I chose the heaviest foam I could get, in a medium to higher compression weight, it's great! For something like a car seat I'd suggest heavier foam and purchase the compression rate that best suits your weight.
I see you also have an account on the Bolt forum, if you deem appropriate you might want to post a link to this foam company. Again there might be others but I checked quite a few and these guys were the best priced for good to great quality foam, and they totally cut to size for N/C, at least they did for my sofa cushions.

https://www.buyfoam.com/
https://www.buyfoam.com/OurFoam.aspx
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

Return to “Technical Discussions”