iletric

Bolt Front Seats Recall Media Campaign

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:39 am

Your turn, social media savvy people. Pics, stories, facebook, twitter and so on... You know what to do and how to do it.

Mary Barra/GM will do nothing until we, the consumers, mount a bad media campaign so effective that GM will feel it; let everyone know NOT to buy Bolt because of its poorly designed front bucket seats.

That is the only way to get the GM behemoth and Mary Barra to take notice and actually consider recall/replacement of these awful seats. The last thing GM wants is BAD PUBLICITY about their Bolt baby.

We have heard enough about the seats. They are trash. They hurt most people's backs and butts.

I challenge you to start your campaign. TODAY!

sgt1372

Re: Bolt Front Seats Recall Media Campaign

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:10 am

iletric wrote:Your turn, social media savvy people. Pics, stories, facebook, twitter and so on... You know what to do and how to do it.

Mary Barra/GM will do nothing until we, the consumers, mount a bad media campaign so effective that GM will feel it; let everyone know NOT to buy Bolt because of its poorly designed front bucket seats.

That is the only way to get the GM behemoth and Mary Barra to take notice and actually consider recall/replacement of these awful seats. The last thing GM wants is BAD PUBLICITY about their Bolt baby.

We have heard enough about the seats. They are trash. They hurt most people's backs and butts.

I challenge you to start your campaign. TODAY!

Not all of us think the seats are BAD. I like the seats just fine and so do others.

I won't question those who find them uncomfortable. If they feel uncomfortable to others, that's their reality but to suggest a boycott of the car because of the seats isn't necessary.

You certainly can advise people to be aware of the controversy over the seats and warn potential buyers to to make sure that the seats are comfortable enough for them before they actually lease or buy the car but a boycott really isn't warranted.

As for a recall, that's not likely either. Recalls are generally required when there are safety issues involved. While the seats are uncomfortable to some, there is no indication that they are unsafe. So, I think you're off-base there as well.

But, if that's how strongly you feel, go at it. Ask for a boycott and a recall Just don't distort the "facts" to fit your perception of the "problem."

NO FAKE NEWS!!!
Last edited by sgt1372 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My vehicles:

2017 Chevy Bolt
2012 Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 BMW 335i
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder
2002 Ford F250 7.3L 4x4 Longbed Turbodiesel

LeftieBiker

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:39 am

Two points:

* The issue seems to be poor quality control of the seats, with some units built as designed, and others substandard in construction. This doesn't appear to be a matter of "perception."

* The way to handle this is with a "Technical Service Bulletin" or "TSB" instead of a recall. That gets the problem fixed without all cars being recalled.
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

ScooterCT

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:46 pm

I'd echo that last thought. There is no seat controversy. There are just incontestable facts. But they have to be stated precisely and without exaggeration in either direction. It's real easy to change a few words and make a misleading statement.

1. Some potential buyers have turned away from the Bolt because the seat they sat in was painful or uncomfortable.

2. Some Bolt owners encountered seat problems post-purchase. Some of them found the problem so bad they purchased cushions or had the seat modified by a seat shop.

3. Some of us have sat in multiple Bolts, and found seat A awesome, and seat B painful. So it's not an issue of having a "big butt", as some have suggested. Same butt, one seat hurts, another feels great.

4. GM is aware of the problem. See the comments by the GM Customer Care representative on this forum. And GM has a suggested solution if you own a Bolt - contact your dealer first, and contact customer care directly if you dealer doesn't give you satisfaction.

5. This thread will keep growing until it has consumed all the computer storage on the planet Earth.

WetEV

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:48 pm

ScooterCT wrote:5. This thread will keep growing until it has consumed all the computer storage on the planet Earth.

Repent! The end of the disk is near!

:lol:
#49 on the LEAF 100 mile club.
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red
2014 Leaf SL Red
Can't sit in a Bolt seat, hoping for better soon.
Or perhaps a Buick version? Buick Electra 225???

ScooterCT

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:50 pm

Shame on me. #5 is a prediction, not a fact. I disseminated fake news.

boltage

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:28 pm

ScooterCT wrote:3. Some of us have sat in multiple Bolts, and found seat A awesome, and seat B painful. So it's not an issue of having a "big butt", as some have suggested. Same butt, one seat hurts, another feels great.

It may be a combination of seat width / design and manufacturing variances.

The seat does seem to be narrower than some other cars' seats, and the side bolsters are large and firm (sporty). So a wider person may find the side bolsters to be uncomfortable. Meanwhile, there may be manufacturing variances in the amount and density of the cushion material in the middle of the seat, so that someone at the margins of finding the width insufficient may be fine if the cushion material is thicker and denser, but uncomfortable if it lets him/her sink down into it too far, resulting in more contact with the hard parts of the bolsters.

oilerlord

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:58 pm

boltage wrote:
The seat does seem to be narrower than some other cars' seats, and the side bolsters are large and firm (sporty).

The seats don't only "seem" to be narrower than some other cars' seats. They are narrower...typically by about an inch. It's all there in the seatzilla thread.
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

iletric

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:56 am

Variation density would mean the seats are made in different, far-flung places and not in one central locations. The seats are definitely NARROW and the bolsters are unnecessarily tall and the bottom and lower back of the seat feel like a TUB.

I am not a seat engineer, I am a consumer sitting in an uncomfortable car that was supposed to represent the newest and the best GM/Chevrolet has to offer. It is far cry from that. Let me quickly add, I don't like the infotainment interface one bit either. It is not smart or pleasing. But that's a whole another subject. So the only thing I like about Bolt is the 238 miles and the low front seat windowsill.

American or foreign companies do nothing unless they are compelled otherwise, and certainly not by popular demand, or even slumping sales, only by judges. There was a woman who beat Honda and their false mpg claim on certain car of theirs by taking them to small claims court. I kid you not. You can google it. That was one avenue I considered.

Or not. In fact, I am going to plunk down 900 bucks in about 10 days to have both seats, top and bottom fixed by a reputable shop in my town. End of story for me about the lousy seats.

Is it fair? You and Ms. Barra be the judge. Is this the last Chevy I ever lease? Most likely.

boltage

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:13 am

iletric wrote:Variation density would mean the seats are made in different, far-flung places and not in one central locations.

Variation could occur if:

a. There are more than one supplier for the seats.
b. A seat supplier has more than one supplier for the seat foam.

That there is that much variation as noted does seem like an error or omission in specification somewhere.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”