Bolt Front Seats Recall Media Campaign

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeanNelson said:
devbolt said:
...meet and seat...
Brilliant!

Better yet - how about doing a dealer tour with the Bolts - can meet a say Fremont Chevy and try them out in front of the dealer. Invite the service managers to come out and try it themselves :mrgreen:

I am also willing to meet @ Fremont Chevy for this. Saturday mid-mornings are best since I work/live far from this location. Can someone start a meetup thread so we can synchronize our calendars for the meetup?

Just got an upholstery appointment for Monday (through Tuesday). I will try to take before and after pics. Will keep y'all posted.

As far as a meet, I guess, midway throughout Bay Area would be San Francisco. There is a big parking lot below the Cliff House. That would "fit" us all... :D

If I attend, I'd be happy to have all your butts and backs check out the result. I do work every other weekend, so we'd have to come to an agreement as to which weekend it's gonna be.

flamaest said:
I am also willing to meet @ Fremont Chevy for this. Saturday mid-mornings are best since I work/live far from this location. Can someone start a meetup thread so we can synchronize our calendars for the meetup?

Sadly, I won't be able to attend one of these until June due to being in Southern California every weekend for the next 8 weeks (Renaissance Pleasure Faire).

I live part way between SF and SJ and got mine at Fremont.

I sat in both "good" seats and "bad" seats.
I feel there were manufacturing differences in the first few 1000 off the line. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind it other than lack of practice building them.

I think the DESIGN was marginal at best.
I think added on top of that was Poor Padding in some.

I'd love to do a meet & seat.
The more advanced notice, the better.

P.S. The one I have I'm OK with. Not thrilled, but I took home a "better" one after sitting in 2 bad ones in a row.

I am also of the opinion they are "marginal" at best. I have days where they OK and others where I squirm in the seats. I don't have any wallets or anything in my pockets. These are by far the worst seats I sat in. From the reports here I would expect that my seats are on the "good" side, but I want GM/Chevy to know that the seats are unacceptable.

I would like to do this at the Fremont GM dealership so we can potentially try out other Bolt seats on the lot and get our seats exchanged, en mass.

If you guys do a seat meetup, you should alert some of the auto media. And take pictures and give interviews. You could even just alert the EV sites like Electrek, Inside EVs, Green Car Reports, etc. Share your "aggrieved owners meetup" story with them. Watch GM suddenly jump through hoops to make things right when the seat story hits the blogs.

Maybe you can invite the poor fellow who's battery crapped out the first month. I bet he'd like to join the fun.

ScooterCT said:
If you guys do a seat meetup, you should alert some of the auto media. ... Watch GM suddenly jump through hoops to make things right when the seat story hits the blogs.
This is exactly what this post is about. Inviting media will do the trick.

SF Chronicle would be my favorite. Why stop there? TV? ABC, CBS, NBC? Get it on evening news, syndicated to all other news outlets? Watch GM fret, and scurry to do damage control.

Mary Barra will be reading this blog... The works, folks.

I drove a Bolt LT cloth on Saturday. Loved the car. I came out of a 3 year Ford Focus Electric Lease in Feb 2017.
It's small and some of the design elements are a matter of personal taste, but.... How could they get the one thing wrong, that connects you and the car more, per square inch, than anything else... The seats.

I'm 6'7" and 260lbs... and I fit in the car!!! much rejoicing, this could actually work for me... then about 30 seconds in the seat and I feel 2 metal rails squeezing my @ss and legs, very noticeably... I'm not a particularly wide person, 38 inch waist and 36inch inseam, it's more in the arms and legs than in the waist. Plenty of legroom, and good support,, and no intrusion from the dashboard in the seating area. Tilt/telescoping wheel was a great to see.

60 seconds into sitting, before even driving, I also felt a significant squeeze from the seatbacks. In a "move" to get comfortable, I felt the cloth seatback tapping the plastic/frame of the seatback. It was barely 2-3 inches thick when compressed by both hands. I would describe it as a deck chair with those plastic straps running side to side and little else for padding. I know weight is important etc... but.. I will not buy a car that I do not feel comfortable in "by the seat of my pants".
I hope that the Premier with leather is a better seat. Will try that out when it arrives at the dealer soon. I tweeted @mtbarra and @Chevrolet #EVBOLT that I was very disappointed in the seats and they are a deal breaker!

Lithium said:
I drove a Bolt LT cloth on Saturday.

IMHO: The Premier trim with leather seats are BARELY a little better than the cloth seats. When you think of how much GM charges for the Bolt leather seat UPGRADE, for the 'improvement' you are getting, it will make you turn around and leave the dealership. Yes better, but not by much.

In contrast to this, the Bolt's steering wheel upgrade for leather/heat IS worth the upgrade. I have seen standard steering wheels on CHEAP YUGOs which felt better than the Bolt's standard steering wheel offering. GM should be ashamed of putting that standard steering wheel into a 37k+ car.

But the leather seats ARE NOT consistently better than the cloth.

In fact, I posted somewhat empirical data eariler that shows thin padding in a leather seat premire and thicker "better" padding in a cloth seat LT.

THERE IS NO PATTERN TO THIS MADDNESS!

:?: So, when in the "meet & seat"? I'm in! ;)

If not, I'm seriously thinking of fixing the seat myself. And would love to hear other's stories of how they fixed their seats. .

So I am assuming weekends would work best. I don't want to be mean to the dealer (I need service from them) or put them in a bad spot, but I do want to bring it to their attention. This is not the dealer's issue - even though they are the face of GM - GM needs to here it loud and clear.

dan2112 said:
So I am assuming weekends would work best. I don't want to be mean to the dealer (I need service from them) or put them in a bad spot, but I do want to bring it to their attention. This is not the dealer's issue - even though they are the face of GM - GM needs to here it loud and clear.

You should not feel bad for pulling the dealer into this -- GM themselves is advising to contact the dealer first if you have any issues with the seat. See the responses from the GM representative in the AskChevrolet section of this forum.

i am about 6'1" and 220 and the driver's seat absolutely kills me. my left hip hurts all the time now after having the car for 3 weeks (premier with leather seats). it does seem to be the plastic seat frame that's digging into my hip. i realized that when test driving and buying but my wife is fine with it and she is the primary driver, so it's all good, for her at least.

i would participate in a meet up in the SF bay area if you guys put it together.

i hope GM can remedy this situation somehow

Progress notes on our seat rebuid:

Ken of T&S took the foam apart. Curiously enough, random parts of the foam are denser in places than others, as he pointed it out to me. Right there is a blatant inconsistency that may be part of the problem.

He ripped that thing apart with the foam knife and placed 2 inch foam all over the place. I find the process bewildering, if not scary, but ostensibly, this is not his first seat rodeo. I had a preliminary seating test this a.m. and I thought I sat in a Cadillac. He also put tapering 1" foam at lower back area. He is using the original foam for the top of the seating area as it is softer and uses his denser and CONSISTENT material below it to add body to that "sunken feeling" of this disaster seat :)

We're picking up the car this afternoon. I will be posting before and after and during pics. I don't know if the changes will be visible...we'll see. But I do know the seat will feel much more normal, and perhaps even, do I dare say it? comfortable.

iletric said:
Progress notes on our seat rebuid:

Ken of T&S took the foam apart. Curiously enough, random parts of the foam are denser in places than others, as he pointed it out to me. Right there is a blatant inconsistency that may be part of the problem.

He ripped that thing apart with the foam knife and placed 2 inch foam all over the place. I find the process bewildering, if not scary, but ostensibly, this is not his first seat rodeo. I had a preliminary seating test this a.m. and I thought I sat in a Cadillac. He also put tapering 1" foam at lower back area. He is using the original foam for the top of the seating area as it is softer and uses his denser and CONSISTENT material below it to add body to that "sunken feeling" of this disaster seat :)

We're picking up the car this afternoon. I will be posting before and after and during pics. I don't know if the changes will be visible...we'll see. But I do know the seat will feel much more normal, and perhaps even, do I dare say it? comfortable.

You may have mentioned this already but I don't want to search through the entire thread to find it:

How much is this seat rebuild costing you and are you doing this for both seats or just the driver's seat?

Back