Tarrngtn

JDapter (trademark) Tesla Charging for all

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:22 pm

This item is being sold for a few hundred dollars. It honestly says it does not work with Tesla Superchargers. So I conclude, it does not help Bolt owners at all. But I can't tell what it would be used for if not the Tesla Superhargers. Are there other Tesla stations (not super) that would be opened for Bolts with this thing? Any possibility that Tesla would open Superchargers to us (with this thing) at some future time? The ad says that it does work with:
Tesla "Destination chargers"
Tesla UMC
Tesla Mobile Connector
Tesla HPWC
Tesla Wall Connector

I have no idea whether any of these are of use "on the road" where Bolt could use some help.

Tarrngtn

Re: JDapter (trademark) Tesla Charging for all

Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Looking at a previous thread, I take it that the other Tesla charging stations, for which this adapter works, are level 2. Which, I think answers my questions.

paulgipe

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Yes that is correct. I have one. Certainly useful in California.
Paul Gipe
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
www.wind-works.org

LeftieBiker

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:48 pm

I believe that the charging station it can use is called the "Destination Charger."
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

Tarrngtn

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:45 pm

Yes, that is what PlugShare calls them. There seem to be very few of these (at least in NM) that don't also have the EV plug as well. So having the adapter would not give me many additional places to plug in. But elsewhere, CA for example, that may not be the case.

Still would like to know whether there is any chance that with some device or another we might be able to use Tesla Fast Charging stations at some point. That would be the big break. That would fit in with Musk's overall philosophy of encouraging EVs. But there are probably technical problems with this that go way beyond the style of the plugs.

SparkE

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:23 am

Tarrngtn wrote:Yes, that is what PlugShare calls them. There seem to be very few of these (at least in NM) that don't also have the EV plug as well. So having the adapter would not give me many additional places to plug in. But elsewhere, CA for example, that may not be the case.

Well, it would allow you to charge at a hotel (or restaurant) that has Tesla destination chargers when the J1772 is occupied (or none are available). I know that at the Majestic Yosemite Hotel (in Yosemite National park) there's a 15A j1772 and an 80A Tesla level-2 charger. I have often seen multiple Tesla destination chargers when I am out and about, with only one J1772 (or none at all). The Los Gatos Hotel only has a Tesla unit, and the Courtyard Marriott in Palo Alto has EIGHT Tesla units. The doubletree in Fremont has 4 Tesla/0 J1772; the Fremont Marriott has 3T/1 J1772 - the Best Western in Danville has 4T/1J !! . It''s sort of like carrying a NEMA 14-50 or 14-30 pigtail for your portable EVSE, so you can charge at campgrounds : backup. It can be very useful if you travel 200-400 miles fairly frequently, especially if you stay in hotels; you'll wake up with a full charge the next morning. Looking specifically at NM, there are quite a few spots that have more Tesla charging units than J1772 - or no J1772 at all. Adding in Tesla home HPWC units, being able to use a Tesla plug significantly increases the number of charging locations.

Tarrngtn wrote:Still would like to know whether there is any chance that with some device or another we might be able to use Tesla Fast Charging stations at some point.

No. never. Or only if Tesla decides to open it up.

SeanNelson

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:41 am

SparkE wrote:Well, it would allow you to charge at a hotel (or restaurant) that has Tesla destination chargers when the J1772 is occupied (or none are available).

Yes, that's exactly its value - it opens up more charging opportunities to you and there may be occasions where that's the difference between being able to charge or not.

EldRick

Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:01 pm

BTW, at its new price of $300, the Tesla Mobile L2 EVSE is a bargain, although a Bolt owner would need the Jdapter to use it.
The Jdapter is often available for $250 - check eBay.

Tarrngtn

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Now you have confused me. The JDapter is maybe $250 on eBay. Got that. JDapter allows Bolt to use the Tesla Destination chargers, which might come in handy. But what is the Tesla Mobile L2 EVSE that is "a bargain" at $300?

SparkE

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:26 pm

Tarrngtn wrote:Now you have confused me. The JDapter is maybe $250 on eBay. Got that. JDapter allows Bolt to use the Tesla Destination chargers, which might come in handy. But what is the Tesla Mobile L2 EVSE that is "a bargain" at $300?

Ditto. (Well, I'm not *confused*, I would just like a link - a quick 'google' didn't find one in the top 5 or 10 links returned.)

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”