JDapter (trademark) Tesla Charging for all

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CALBOLT said:
After searching everywhere I finally found the manufacturer of the adapter also known as a jdapter or J-Dapter.
The official name of the product is the XXXXXX and their website is http:XXXXXXX This is their store that seems to have the lowest prices on the net.

This now deleted post above wasn't for the same product. The real thing is at:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

WetEV said:
The real thing is at:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

The adapter may still be available at the reduced price of $272 (it was last week). The "base" price (after applying the coupon code) is $239 - the price after tax and cheapest shipping (USPS) is $272.37.

Use the Coupon Code : Jdapter239

Hello -

I'm going to add more confusion to this post.

Does the Tesla UMC and the Tesla Destination charger use the same protocol as J1772? Or at least something compatible? I'm betting it does. I get the feeling that the JDAPTER just changes the shape of the Tesla plug and is otherwise a passive product.

This leaves open the possibility of getting an awesome portable charger and saving yourself a few hundred bucks by simply chopping the Tesla plug off a UMC and putting a J1772 on it instead.

I like the $300 Tesla UMC because it's small and "full power" for a Bolt. Quite a bit better than putting 220V to the regular portable charger that comes with a Bolt and double the power of a Turbocord for the same price even after adding a J plug.

Seems like an ideal travel charger.

Pigwich said:
Does the Tesla UMC and the Tesla Destination charger use the same protocol as J1772? Or at least something compatible? I'm betting it does. I get the feeling that the JDAPTER just changes the shape of the Tesla plug and is otherwise a passive product.
Yes, that's my understanding.

Pigwich said:
This leaves open the possibility of getting an awesome portable charger and saving yourself a few hundred bucks by simply chopping the Tesla plug off a UMC and putting a J1772 on it instead.
I imagine you could do that, but the nice thing about having both the UMC and a separate Tesla Tap is that you can use the Tesla Tap with Tesla destination chargers in locations where J1772 chargers aren't available or are in use.

Pigwich said:
I like the $300 Tesla UMC because it's small and "full power" for a Bolt.
Yes, it's surprisingly cheap for what you get and I love the interchangeable AC cords that tell the charger how much current to advertise. It's a brilliant concept, why nobody else does it is a real mystery to me.

I like this but I don’t need this.

Where are there 240 VAC Tesla Chargers in public?

I have never looked since they have never been of any use to me.

Be careful, some are 277 VAC which Tesla cars can accept.
Chevy cars, including the Bolt have a 264 VAC upper limit. They will refuse to charge if high voltage is detected.

gpsman said:
I like this but I don’t need this.

Where are there 240 VAC Tesla Chargers in public?

I have never looked since they have never been of any use to me.

Be careful, some are 277 VAC which Tesla cars can accept.
Chevy cars, including the Bolt have a 264 VAC upper limit. They will refuse to charge if high voltage is detected.
ubufMOt.png

https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.39?search=destination charger&name=usa

So what I thought.
Not very many when you zoom in.
And 8 out of 10 are hotels that say “for guest use only”.

While this is a neat adapter, it is way too expensive.
And there are hardly any places to put it to use.

gpsman said:
So what I thought.
Not very many when you zoom in.

While this is a neat adapter, it is way too expensive.
And there are hardly any places to put it to use.

It actually helps you get out of town if you are so inclined. For many of us it is well worth the money. CCS is few and far between and this helps a little to allow us to use the Bolt for longer travel. Thank you Tesla! Thank you destination people! And thank you Tony! It is just one more tool to be able to use this car as much as possible... Even if Chevy would install L3 at dealerships across the country, it would greatly help. Especially if they do like many Nissan Dealers and offer it for free and have a 2 year free charge program at Evgo like BMW and Nissan.

gpsman said:

I would love to find lots of hotels with L2 charging for guest use only. I'd would love it if most hotels had L2 charging for guest use only.

I see the value and the gen2 tesla UMC is a bargain buuuuut $250 seems like a lot for what is essentially a rewired extension cord, these things can't be that hard to build. I give cheap knockoff companies a few months before they start cranking these things out for half the price, or less.

IMAdolt said:
I give cheap knockoff companies a few months before they start cranking these things out for half the price, or less.

To reduce the cost they knockoff companies will remove the safety features required by the charging standards. You can already buy such cables. I'd suggest that you... Don't even think about it.

WetEV said:
IMAdolt said:
I give cheap knockoff companies a few months before they start cranking these things out for half the price, or less.

To reduce the cost they knockoff companies will remove the safety features required by the charging standards. You can already buy such cables. I'd suggest that you... Don't even think about it.

The "safety features" are built into the EVSE cables, UMC, wall chargers or WHY. The Jdapter or tesla tap are essentially just rerouting the L1, L2/N, Grnd, signal and pilot wires from tesla pin outs to the J1772.

I'd build one myself if I could find a female tesla socket.

IMAdolt said:
WetEV said:
IMAdolt said:

The "safety features" are built into the EVSE cables, UMC, wall chargers or WHY. The Jdapter or tesla tap are essentially just rerouting the L1, L2/N, Grnd, signal and pilot wires from tesla pin outs to the J1772.

J1772 plugs are rather expensive - they are a patented design, and the manufacturer has to pay for use. Ditto Tesla plugs and sockets.

SparkE said:
IMAdolt said:
WetEV said:

J1772 plugs are rather expensive - they are a patented design, and the manufacturer has to pay for use. Ditto Tesla plugs and sockets.

Ya that's the issue, I felt like I should have tacked on "at a reasonable price" or maybe with a 3d printer ..........

I wasn't clear enough - I was trying to point out WHY these things are so expensive - the plugs/sockets (two - one on each end) are darn expensive. They are probably over 50% of the price - probably well, well over 50% of the cost.

Seriously - go source a J1772 plug. They are unbelievably expensive for a hunk of plastic with some pins and wires.

THAT is why these things are so expensive : the cost of the plug & socket.

SparkE said:
I wasn't clear enough - I was trying to point out WHY these things are so expensive - the plugs/sockets (two - one on each end) are darn expensive. They are probably over 50% of the price - probably well, well over 50% of the cost.

Seriously - go source a J1772 plug. They are unbelievably expensive for a hunk of plastic with some pins and wires.

THAT is why these things are so expensive : the cost of the plug & socket.

I absolutely agree

I guess my point is that there are plenty of companies outside of north America, hell even inside that'll manufacture there own version of that proprietary connector for pennies a piece and undercut the prices ...... eventually. Hence the term "Cheap Knockoff", you could even claim a small change outside the patent and be completely legal and have a UL rating for still way less.

I don't really agree with the practice but who here hasn't bought something along those lines to save a few bucks? I have some issue with the EVSE's because there are legit safety concerns there but realistically these adapters are just extension cords with fancy ends.

If I had the pins and a detailed drawing for the connectors I'd 3d print one for my own use, I wouldn't sell them because I don't believe I'm 100% a dick.

If I had the pins and a detailed drawing for the connectors I'd 3d print one for my own use
That would be an awful lot of work for something that you need maybe one of.

Back