bluebolt

Re: How Much I Paid for My Bolt

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Location: Chevy dealership in greater Boston, Massachusetts. (Although I was satisfied with the price, the dealership experience was not stellar, and so I'll omit their name.)

Purchase date: first half of September 2017

Specs:
- Bolt Premier
- Infotainment package
- Driver confidence package
- DC fast charge
- No higher-cost color
- No OnStar

Deal parameters:
- MA Drive Green (http://www.massenergy.org/drivegreen)
- 3-year lease
- 15k miles per year
- 2 maintenance visits included
- GAP insurance included
- US federal $7,500 incentive goes to lease provider, and so is folded into monthly payments

Pricing (monthly payments are fuzzed into a range for anonymity):
- $200 net down payment (expected), including first monthly payment
    Debits
      - $2,500 paid upfront to dealer
      - $450 doc, registration, title, license, sticker
    Credits
      - Expected rebate from MA state government of $2,500 in several weeks (keeping my fingers crossed!)
      - $250 conquest lease
- $315-$319 monthly payment for 35 months
    - $295-$299/month for 15k miles (I could alternately have selected $265-$269/month for 12k, or $255-$259/month for 10k)
    - Tax at 6.5%
- $395 disposition fee
- $0 acquisition fee (ordinarily this is $595 but the dealer folded it into the monthly payments)

Total cost of ownership: around $11,700 for 3-year lease = around $3,900 per year (not including at-home charging station)

My price approach and negotiation was helped by the posts on this forum, and so I hope that this post is helpful to others in turn.

mnm1945

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:23 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Pretty solid deal I feel, love the car just looking for a solution with the drivers side seat being uncomfortable.

There is a fix for the seat bottom. The seat back remains an issue to be resolved.

No doubt, the seats are awful!!! I spent about a week negotiating a lease deal with a few local Orange County and LA Chevy dealers. Simspson Chevrolet in Irvine was offering the best numbers. I went to my local dealer with the intention of leasing a premier. However, after sitting in the car for about 15 minutes I could not tolerate the narrow seats. I found the seat backs more of a problem than the seat bottoms. Both the leather and cloth seats were uncomfortable. I am 5'7" and weight 158 lbs.

The lease numbers are as follows:

White Premier, MSRP of $43515,12k per year, $1182 due at signing, $340 per month including OC taxes.

The LT model with a MSRP of $39588 with dc fast charging and same mileage would cost $277 per month including OC taxes.

DNAinaGoodWay

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:19 am

bluebolt wrote:Location: Chevy dealership in greater Boston, Massachusetts. (Although I was satisfied with the price, the dealership experience was not stellar, and so I'll omit their name.)

Purchase date: first half of September 2017

Specs:
- Bolt Premier
- Infotainment package
- Driver confidence package
- DC fast charge
- No higher-cost color
- No OnStar

Deal parameters:
- MA Drive Green (http://www.massenergy.org/drivegreen)
- 3-year lease
- 15k miles per year
- 2 maintenance visits included
- GAP insurance included
- US federal $7,500 incentive goes to lease provider, and so is folded into monthly payments

Pricing (monthly payments are fuzzed into a range for anonymity):
- $200 net down payment (expected), including first monthly payment
    Debits
      - $2,500 paid upfront to dealer
      - $450 doc, registration, title, license, sticker
    Credits
      - Expected rebate from MA state government of $2,500 in several weeks (keeping my fingers crossed!)
      - $250 conquest lease
- $315-$319 monthly payment for 35 months
    - $295-$299/month for 15k miles (I could alternately have selected $265-$269/month for 12k, or $255-$259/month for 10k)
    - Tax at 6.5%
- $395 disposition fee
- $0 acquisition fee (ordinarily this is $595 but the dealer folded it into the monthly payments)

Total cost of ownership: around $11,700 for 3-year lease = around $3,900 per year (not including at-home charging station)

My price approach and negotiation was helped by the posts on this forum, and so I hope that this post is helpful to others in turn.

Hardly any dealer experience is stellar, so c'mon, was it Quirk? Muzi? I'm in the market so I could really use some feedback. What didn't you like?

Also, no comfort package? Or did you just miss that?

Your numbers don't look bad at all. How's it feel? Seats ok?
Leaf SL 2012-2014
Leaf SV 2014-2017
Bolt LT 2017-
6.72 kW Solar

bluebolt

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:45 am

No comfort package is offered for the Bolt Premier.

Between the two dealerships you mentioned, I consider Muzi employees overall to have better knowledge of the electric vehicle market than Quirk employees. But your mileage may vary quite a bit depending on who you encounter. In any case, no matter how well they know the product, I sadly suspect that no one at any Chevy dealership will go out of their way to ensure that you get a great price and that you walk away feeling like you got a great deal. Chevy personnel are perfectly nice people, but GM incentivizes them to pursue short-term, quick wins, regardless of the long-term consequences.

The Bolt is an astonishing technical success, a true harbinger of the future, trapped like a mosquito in the rusty amber of GM's long-faded sales-and-service model. This mismatch is exemplified by the single-page "maintenance plan" that comes with the car, describing how and when the fully-electric car should get oil changes, down to the type of oil. So much for attention to detail.

I hope that GM can rejuvenate their sales and service approach to support this marvelous car before their technical lead narrows.

DNAinaGoodWay

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:16 am

A Jurassic car? Love it. Inverted poetry.

It can be a drag at any dealership, but at least Quirk has a lot on the lot to look at, maybe find the one with the best seat.

Sorry, forgot comfort package items were standard on the premier.
Leaf SL 2012-2014
Leaf SV 2014-2017
Bolt LT 2017-
6.72 kW Solar

LeftieBiker

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:17 am

No. GMAC keeps $5000 of the Federal credit, gives $2500 as consumer lease credit, and if you buy the car off lease, charges another $5000 extra on the residual. Why? Because they can.

DNAinaGoodWay

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:52 am

But if you don't buy it, it doesn't matter, the raised residual still reduces your payments.
Leaf SL 2012-2014
Leaf SV 2014-2017
Bolt LT 2017-
6.72 kW Solar

LeftieBiker

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:22 am

DNAinaGoodWay wrote:But if you don't buy it, it doesn't matter, the raised residual still reduces your payments.

Yes, by about $300 total, as estimated by one of the proponents of GM raising the residual a while back. So GM has to give up little in typical leasing situations, but EV drivers who can't collect the tax credit for buying, and who hope to lease and then buy, get hit hard - twice.

DNAinaGoodWay

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 am

Twice? No hit while leasing, just if you buy at the end. Probably will just assure that no one buys.
Leaf SL 2012-2014
Leaf SV 2014-2017
Bolt LT 2017-
6.72 kW Solar

GetOffYourGas

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
DNAinaGoodWay wrote:But if you don't buy it, it doesn't matter, the raised residual still reduces your payments.

Yes, by about $300 total, as estimated by one of the proponents of GM raising the residual a while back. So GM has to give up little in typical leasing situations, but EV drivers who can't collect the tax credit for buying, and who hope to lease and then buy, get hit hard - twice.

You're still not understanding how GM applies this $5k. They apply it to the residual. If you lease and return, it saves you $5000. Plus you don't have to pay interest on that $5000, so it really saves you $5300.

If you lease and buy for the stated residual, then you get hit once for the $5k, while having saved $300 in interest, so $4700. Of course if you finance, you'll still be paying interest on the $5k, so it's not saved - just moved.

I don't like GM's structure any more than you do. Mostly because I hope to lease and then buy in order to claim the full credit. The way they structured it, they are strongly encouraging people to jump into a new lease, in a perpetual leasing cycle. That, or you have to actually negotiate with GM in order to convince them to give you the $5k off the buyout price. I don't know how successful others have been with the Volt. I wouldn't want to put myself in that situation.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”