User avatar
ChargePoint
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:13 pm
Location: Campbell, CA
Contact: Website WLM Facebook Twitter

What do they want to know?

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Question for the community!

What's the #1 question people ask about your Bolt?
If you have another EV, feel free to share that too. :)

Sperling3
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: What do they want to know?

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:23 am

They always ask, "Does Chargepoint post annoying and meaningless questions trying to drive traffic on your EV forum like they do on ours?"

BoltEV
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: What do they want to know?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:48 pm

When are you going to complete the DCFC's on Interstate 5 for which you have permits so that travel between Northern and Southern California can become more commonplace and shorter in distance?

EldRick
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: What do they want to know?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:40 pm

They always ask me why there aren't any stations with more than 25kW charge rate along I-5 in Oregon and Washington, thus making EV touring impossible?

Evoforce
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:21 am
Location: AZ

Re: What do they want to know?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Why do you drive a car that has practically no charging stations away from home to quickly charge at? What good is it to have a longer range EV when there is no quick/fast charging available on moderate to long trips from home?

SparkEVPilot
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:42 am
Location: Manteca, California

Re: What do they want to know?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:35 am

Evoforce wrote:Why do you drive a car that has practically no charging stations away from home to quickly charge at? What good is it to have a longer range EV when there is no quick/fast charging available on moderate to long trips from home?

I asked myself this same question when I first started driving Spark EVs. To answer the question, each individual driver needs to determine how he / she is going to use the car 85% of the time. For me, it is local driving and, where DCFC chargers are available, travel to locations outside of the safe round trip range of my Spark EV. The Spark EV easily meets 85 - 90% of my daily driving needs. The other 10 - 15% is being covered by driving my pickup truck or renting a car. This has been working for me for 3 years now.

WetEV
Moderator
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:26 pm
Location: Near Seattle

Re: What do they want to know?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:25 am

EldRick wrote:They always ask me why there aren't any stations with more than 25kW charge rate along I-5 in Oregon and Washington, thus making EV touring impossible?


There are.
CHADEMO

Are not standards wonderful? Everyone wants their own!
#49 on the LEAF 100 mile club.
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red
2014 Leaf SL Red
Can't sit in a Bolt seat, hoping for better soon.
Or perhaps a Buick version? Buick Electra 225???

Evoforce
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:21 am
Location: AZ

Re: What do they want to know?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 am

SparkEVPilot wrote:
Evoforce wrote:Why do you drive a car that has practically no charging stations away from home to quickly charge at? What good is it to have a longer range EV when there is no quick/fast charging available on moderate to long trips from home?

I asked myself this same question when I first started driving Spark EVs. To answer the question, each individual driver needs to determine how he / she is going to use the car 85% of the time. For me, it is local driving and, where DCFC chargers are available, travel to locations outside of the safe round trip range of my Spark EV. The Spark EV easily meets 85 - 90% of my daily driving needs. The other 10 - 15% is being covered by driving my pickup truck or renting a car. This has been working for me for 3 years now.


You are correct! However a Bolt has a much larger battery pack than a Spark and it is restricted from using this advantage because of the poor DCFC infrastructure whether it is within larger cities or passing from city to city or state to state. ChargePoint and other providers need to get on the stick! A car with 238 mile range should be able to be used 99% of the time (think truck 1-5%) and be the only car for long or short trips consequently not having to rely on renting or using a secondary vehicle.

djhodny
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:19 pm

Re: What do they want to know?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:35 pm

I guess people around me are more ignorant. They often ask "does it have enough power to go on the highway?". It's fun to observe their reaction when we get to the highway access ramp and I "demonstrate" - especially if I've put it in Sport mode.

GM really does need to advertise more to the regular masses to get the word out. So much of the country isn't even aware of the Bolt, much less what a real gem of a vehicle it is.

SparkEVPilot
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:42 am
Location: Manteca, California

Re: What do they want to know?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Evoforce wrote:
SparkEVPilot wrote:
Evoforce wrote:Why do you drive a car that has practically no charging stations away from home to quickly charge at? What good is it to have a longer range EV when there is no quick/fast charging available on moderate to long trips from home?

I asked myself this same question when I first started driving Spark EVs. To answer the question, each individual driver needs to determine how he / she is going to use the car 85% of the time. For me, it is local driving and, where DCFC chargers are available, travel to locations outside of the safe round trip range of my Spark EV. The Spark EV easily meets 85 - 90% of my daily driving needs. The other 10 - 15% is being covered by driving my pickup truck or renting a car. This has been working for me for 3 years now.


You are correct! However a Bolt has a much larger battery pack than a Spark and it is restricted from using this advantage because of the poor DCFC infrastructure whether it is within larger cities or passing from city to city or state to state. ChargePoint and other providers need to get on the stick! A car with 238 mile range should be able to be used 99% of the time (think truck 1-5%) and be the only car for long or short trips consequently not having to rely on renting or using a secondary vehicle.

Electrify America has proposed a plan. Go to https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan to see what they plan to do. But, in my opinion, longer range electric vehicles like the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla M3 are still going to be limited as to where they can comfortably go as compared to an ICE. And, even if longer range EVs can be driven further between charging stops, will the time required to recharge at each charging stop along a long distance trip route be too much for the driver and occupants to accept?

Return to “Off-Topic”