SeanNelson

Re: Tire sealant and compressor kit

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 am

boltage wrote:
SeanNelson wrote:I've now received the wheels (the same ones as those that came with the car) and had the original summer tires mounted on them. So I can now state that an inflated full sized stock tire on a stock wheel actually does fit into the lower cargo area with the "false floor" fitting normally above it. So there's no need to be without a "real" spare if you want one.

Of course, it would also help to have a jack and wrench as well if you carry a spare.

Absolutely, although I will note that I did manage to swap out a flat tire on my old VW Rabbit once despite not having a jack (it involved using a large rock and a tree branch... :o )

It turns out that the jack from a Chevy S10 / Blazer fits the round lift points under the Bolt, and I managed to find one for $5 at my local wrecking yard. The jack can lift the entire side of the vehicle when used on the front lift point (which is important because the rear lift point is recessed and difficult to access without impinging on the adjacent body structure). And for a little more money I bought a wrecking bar and 19mm socket for the lug nuts.

So I should be all set for the flat tire which, because I now am prepared for it, will probably not happen. ;)

JerryBob

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:11 pm

I have seen online where you can buy a space saver spare tire that claims it fits the Bolt. I know you can't use these on 4wd systems but would it work on the Bolt?
2017 Bolt LT
2015 BMW i3
2001 BMW Z3
2007 Ford Mustang GT500
1960 VW Beetle (Restored Original)
1968 Chevrolet Camaro convertible
1969 Chevrolet Corvette

SmokingRubber

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:36 pm

I had a huge screw in my tire. I took it to Big Brand Tire (they do free flat repair). They pulled the screw out, pulled a plug through the hole, mushed the goop over the plug, and re-inflated the tire. It's been holding air for a week now.
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier (DD)
2016 Mazda CX-5 Gran Touring (Wife's DD)
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (4x4 beachmobile)
2016 Mazda 3 Touring

Tarrngtn

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 am

All very interesting information. But as of now not a single person has answered my question. That is, no one has said that they have used the sealant and compressor that comes with the Bolt Premium to fix a flat and told of the experience. Although the Bolt is new, I assume this solution is part of other older cars. I think my friend's Prius has he same deal. So surely someone has had the opportunity to use this stuff.

boltage

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 am

SmokingRubber wrote:I had a huge screw in my tire. I took it to Big Brand Tire (they do free flat repair). They pulled the screw out, pulled a plug through the hole, mushed the goop over the plug, and re-inflated the tire. It's been holding air for a week now.

Did the goo that was already in the tire prevent it from going completely flat, or slow the rate of air loss so that you could get to the tire repair shop?

ArthurL

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:04 am

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/produ ... t-84237904?

The is the compressor, sealant kit that came win my Bolt in Canada.

SmokingRubber

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:42 am

boltage wrote:
SmokingRubber wrote:I had a huge screw in my tire. I took it to Big Brand Tire (they do free flat repair). They pulled the screw out, pulled a plug through the hole, mushed the goop over the plug, and re-inflated the tire. It's been holding air for a week now.

Did the goo that was already in the tire prevent it from going completely flat, or slow the rate of air loss so that you could get to the tire repair shop?

Yes it stopped the leak. It lost 2 pounds of pressure but I didn't pay any attention because it wasn't getting worse. I drove on it for a week before I saw the screw, then I drove on it for another 3 days before I could get it to the shop.

I wasn't pleased when I saw the goop in there, but it did it's job.
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier (DD)
2016 Mazda CX-5 Gran Touring (Wife's DD)
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (4x4 beachmobile)
2016 Mazda 3 Touring

boltage

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:09 pm

ArthurL wrote:https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2017/Chevrolet/Bolt%20EV/tire-inflator-kit-84237904?

The is the compressor, sealant kit that came win my Bolt in Canada.

In Canada, do Bolts come with the self-seal tires (Michelin Energy Saver with SelfSeal) that have the goo in them already?

SeanNelson

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:23 am

boltage wrote:In Canada, do Bolts come with the self-seal tires (Michelin Energy Saver with SelfSeal) that have the goo in them already?

Yes, they do. And they also come with the compressor and the goo. And DC Fast Charging as standard equipment.

DanDietrich

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:28 pm

I own a Leaf, but it came with the same system. A compressor and a can of goo. I had occasion to use it last week, and to my great surprise it worked. I drove to a tire shop where they pointed out that all of my tires were giving out after only 25 thousand miles, but that is another story. My tire was beyond permanent repair so I bought a used one until I can buy a new set. I have not, however, been able to replace the can of goo because I cant find one that screws onto the compressor like the original. I also have read that the goo will screw up the tire pressure sensors.
But, I was stuck on the road and then I was not, so the gizmo worked, and worked fairly quickly.
Dan Dietrich - currently own a 2014 Leaf, 2012 Prius V, and a 1984 F-250

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”