Tarrngtn

Re: This Stupid Recall Just Broke My Car

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:37 pm

The notice for the software update indicates that I do NOT bring the car in, but they will make the update "over the air." The instructions are not very clear, but it seems to say I wait for notice to start the process. The more serious "battery" recall is only for some 2017 Bolts. If I have not received an individual notice via email or postal service, that my car is one of the bad ones, then I don't have a problem. Right?

ChevyDolt

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:26 pm

Update # 2

So far so good.
2017 Bolt LT

acpix

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:44 am

@Tarrngtn - Check Onstar website for any recall info for your vehicle.

Tarrngtn

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Yeah, I did check OnStar. But the note on the battery problem is generic. It does not say "me" it just says "some 2017 Bolts." As far as I can tell, anyone clicking on the recall button will get the same generic list of recalls, without indicating which Bolts are involved. And I have not received an individualized notice of the Battery problem by either email or post. My understanding of recalls is that the manufacturer is required to notify the owner individually, which has always been my experience. And I did receive an individual notice of the software update. Am I off track here to be hopeful that my car is not in the "some" category?

Eriamjh1138

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:16 pm

I just (Saturday April 14, 2017) took my 2017 Bolt built in January 2017 to the dealer for the Radio and the Battery update.

The Battery update was no longer listed as valid when the clicked "Show details". They did the Infotainment (the one that supposedly enables OTA) update only.

I even ran the battery down to 25% just so the cell voltage "droop" issue could be more easily detected. Now, I'm a little short on charge for my daily galavanting.

Of course, a gasmobile was parked in the spot by the 25kW fast DC charging station. Again.
2017 Kinetic Blue Metallic "Rainbow Dash"
Southeast Michigan, USA

iletric

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:57 am

Eriamjh1138 wrote:They did the Infotainment (the one that supposedly enables OTA) update only.

Did it break your "radio?"

ChevyDolt

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:22 am

Yes, the radio and screen froze about a half hour after I picked up my car. Also the integrated phone didn't work. So I had to take the car back immediately to the service department. 22 hours later the car was ready. Again.

They claimed it was a one-time glitch, however it never glitched before the recall service so, it's weird that it would glitch AFTER they did the update that's supposed to fix the glitch.

As of today, it hasn't glitched again.
2017 Bolt LT

Eriamjh1138

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Did you reboot the radio with HOME&NEXT TRACK held for 10 seconds? If it happens again, try it.

Mine stuck on the Bolt EV logo ONCE with 14.4.0. Rebooted it and it never happened again.
2017 Kinetic Blue Metallic "Rainbow Dash"
Southeast Michigan, USA

IMAdolt

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Eriamjh1138 wrote:Of course, a gasmobile was parked in the spot by the 25kW fast DC charging station. Again.

Double park and plug your car in next time.

GernBlanston

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 pm

ChevyDolt wrote:Yes, the radio and screen froze about a half hour after I picked up my car. Also the integrated phone didn't work. So I had to take the car back immediately to the service department. 22 hours later the car was ready. Again.

They claimed it was a one-time glitch, however it never glitched before the recall service so, it's weird that it would glitch AFTER they did the update that's supposed to fix the glitch.

As of today, it hasn't glitched again.

Many of us have experienced glitches, with various software versions, and various miles on the car.
Did you do a reset, or turn the car off and count to 10 after the initial 'freeze'?
Just curious.
Electronics one-oh-one. Try a reboot before you try anything else.
If it's not foggy
and your foglights are on
you are a doofus.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”