10 things I like better on the new 2017 Chevy Bolt vs my 2013 Tesla Model S

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeATL

I saw this posted today:

https://electrek.co/2017/05/25/chevy-bolt-vs-tesla/?utm_source=Daily%20Email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=170526

Perhaps of note is that the author's Tesla Model S, with 60 kWh battery, has degraded from 210 miles to 190 miles (10%) over 50,000 miles with lots of DC fast charging.

Also of note:

"While I still prefer my twice as expensive 2013 Tesla Model S overall". He goes on to write that he bought his Model S when they were $49,000 - so not twice as expensive. Oops.

To that point, if you're going to compare 2013 vs 2017 model years, there are a lot of 2013, low mileage Model S's available in the mid $40's:

XcTQpaY.jpg

I get the sense he was reaching, and wrote the blog as click-bait. IMHO, most of his "likes" were in the don't care category or actually disadvantages. FWD is an advantage over AWD in the winter? Really...since when? As someone that drives in a winter city; it isn't. You also need to suspend reality, to believe that charging on a Bolt is even "sometimes" better than it is on a Model S. The author didn't point out that most people driving a Model S don't even pay for supercharging. By contrast, a member on this board paid 12 bucks for an equivalent of 40 miles for an EVGO charge.

I've driven both the Model S & the Bolt. It's along the lines of comparing an Audi A7 Quattro to a Chevy Sonic with bad seats. Comparing them at all is laughable. Other than being EV's, that's where the similarities end.

Moot point for a fella like me..... the the 37K for the Bolt is too high for my budget
but I did it anyway. Mid 40's, low 40's is frickin crazy on my budget! Sooooooo,
thank you Chevrolet!!

2013 Teslas are mostly out of warranty and the early ones had a lot of motor failures. Add in battery degradation plus wear and tear and you'd have to be careful about what you buy. I'm not sure who you'd consult with to make sure the car is solid before purchase, but it would be wise to check out the vehicle thoroughly.

A new Bolt is $37K less a $7500 federal rebate and perhaps more discounts from the state. Add in a full warranty plus a fresh battery and it is kind of a no-brainer in terms of price/reliability.

If you really want a used Model S, however, then shop carefully and get one...

Back