12-volt accessory battery charge model?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flamaest

Can someone please confirm if the 12-volt accessory battery is either charged when an EVSE is supplying power, or when the car is driving, or both? Perhaps I missed this small detail in the manual.

Charging while driving appears to be discussed on page 135, but I was hoping it was made more clear.

Also, does the BOLT's GUI display show 12-volt levels?

Lastly, would a standard Battery-Tender work on this AGM battery?

I can't speak with any authority for the Bolt EV, but the usual way this works is that the 12V battery is charged while the car is "on". When the car is turned "off" the high voltage battery is disconnected from everything as a safety precaution, and that in fact is why there's a 12V battery in the first place - to provide power for the systems that must operate when the car is off (recognizing key fobs, for example).

Totally depends on the vehicle.
In my Dodge Caravan I have 2 outlets. One is switched with the ignition, the other is on all the time.

I think typically a vehicle has a single switched outlet

flamaest said:
Can someone please confirm if the 12-volt accessory battery is either charged when an EVSE is supplying power, or when the car is driving, or both? Perhaps I missed this small detail in the manual.

Charging while driving appears to be discussed on page 135, but I was hoping it was made more clear.

Any Battery Tender designed to work with AGM batteries would work on the Bolt 12 V battery. It sounds like you are planning to leave the car unused for weeks at a time, so make sure and follow the instructions in the manual and leave it at a reduced SOC when doing so.

jjr said:
Totally depends on the vehicle.
In my Dodge Caravan I have 2 outlets. One is switched with the ignition, the other is on all the time.

I think typically a vehicle has a single switched outlet

I believe the poster is talking about the actual 12 volt battery, rather than the 12 volt accessory outlet in the interior.

flamaest said:

The 12V battery is charged by the BECM when the vehicle is in the RUN Mode. It's also charged when the HVB is plugged in
for charging.

Back