200 Miles - Sausalito to Bear Valley. HEIP!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things:

The included EVSE ("trickle charger") can be used at 240V IF you have an outlet AND an adapter to fit the outlet. That will double the trickle charge miles.

On the other hand...

Hilltop reserve takes only 10-15 off the full charge, the 6000 ft elevation changes will probably add much more than that. Unless you like using friction brakes, leave plenty of room in the battery for the excess energy. Maybe let your bud hotrod a bit longer than planned...

I just went over 17 to Santa Cruz. Started in San Jose with a full charge estimated at 240 miles. At the top I saw 197 miles, and at the Highway 1 split I had 230 miles showing. A few more miles of downhill would have filled the battery, and L would not have held me back any longer.

BoltADrome said:
The included EVSE ("trickle charger") can be used at 240V IF you have an outlet AND an adapter to fit the outlet. That will double the trickle charge miles...

Just asking if I understand this correctly:
It seems I have heard mention that this included charger is already capable of running on a dual phase setup. Is what you are saying, that I could wire up an adapter that puts the power to the blades on the 120v to essentially make it a 240v unit without sending it off to the company advertising this upgrade? So basically putting a phase on each of the "hot" blades and keeping the ground as ground (over-clarifying to avoid misunderstandings)?

gbobman said:
The included EVSE ("trickle charger") can be used at 240V IF you have an outlet AND an adapter to fit the outlet. That will double the trickle charge miles...

I'm no electrician but this seems potentially dangerous to me.

Even if the L1 transformer attached to the 12v/3 prong plug is dual phase and can handle 240 or 110/120v-15A input, is the rest of the wiring in the cable safe to use with a 240V/40A outlet?

I'd rather be safe than sorry and just buy a properly rated/constructed L2 240v single or dual phase cable charger instead.

sgt1372 said:
gbobman said:

Even if the L1 transformer attached to the 12v/3 prong plug is dual phase and can handle 240 or 110/120v-15A input, is the rest of the wiring in the cable safe to use with a 240V/40A outlet?

I'd rather be safe than sorry and just buy a properly rated/constructed L2 240v single or dual phase cable charger instead.

Better safe than sorry?? You bet!

You already have the L1 EVSE that came with the car.

So, for 3.3 kWh, buy a Clipper Creek LCS-20P 16 amp, L2 EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug ($395 + $23 shipping). Also buy a Cordtec Power 1.5 ft, 30 amp 4-prong NEMA 14-30P to NEMA 14-50R adapter.

If you want 6.6 kwh, buy a Clipper Creek HCS-40P 32 amp L2 EVSE, 240 V, NEMA 14-50P ($589 + $23 shipping) and the same adapter mentioned above. Note: this EVSE is big - 19.7" x 8.9" x 5.3" and weighs 13.5 lbs.

This way you will be able to connect the L2 EVSE to either a NEMA 14-30 outlet or a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Both EVSEs come with a 25 ft cable.

sgt1372 said:
gbobman said:

If the EVSE is safe to pull 12A at 120V, it should be safe to pull 12A at 240V - both wires ('hot' + neutral, or 'hot' + 'hot') are the same gauge. The '40A outlet' has no bearing : is it safe to use the same 15A socket for your alarm clock (pulls *maybe* 1W) and your hand-held hair dryer (pulls 900-1500 W) ?? Yes, of course. The appliance (the dryer or the EVSE or ...) pulls the current it wants - having MORE Amps available isn't a problem. The problem is plugging a device that pulls 40A into a socket that can only supply (say) 24A.

SparkE said:
sgt1372 said:
gbobman said:

If the EVSE is safe to pull 12A at 120V, it should be safe to pull 12A at 240V - both wires ('hot' + neutral, or 'hot' + 'hot') are the same gauge. The '40A outlet' has no bearing : is it safe to use the same 15A socket for your alarm clock (pulls *maybe* 1W) and your hand-held hair dryer (pulls 900-1500 W) ?? Yes, of course. The appliance (the dryer or the EVSE or ...) pulls the current it wants - having MORE Amps available isn't a problem. The problem is plugging a device that pulls 40A into a socket that can only supply (say) 24A.

You need to also be absolutely certain that ALL of the components in the EVSE can handle 100% more power than the EVSE is rated for. I wouldn't do it!

SparkEVPilot said:
SparkE said:
sgt1372 said:

You need to also be absolutely certain that ALL of the components in the EVSE can handle 100% more power than the EVSE is rated for. I wouldn't do it!

An electrical engineer over on the GM-Volt forum has already torn down the Bolt's L1 EVSE and determined that the components used are safe to use at 240V, specifically the wiring. Plenty of Volt owners have the same L1 EVSE and report no problems using the EVSE on 240V with the appropriate adapter.

It wouldn't surprise me if the same L1 EVSE is supplied to Europe for the Ampera-E version of the Bolt, and the only change is the plug-end.

devbolt said:
It wouldn't surprise me if the same L1 EVSE is supplied to Europe for the Ampera-E version of the Bolt, and the only change is the plug-end.

BOTH plug ends ;)

Type 2 for the car, AND on the other end the appropriate (non-NEMA) plug that will be pushed into the wall socket. (I am assuming that the Ampera-e will be sold with the European L2/L3 socket in the car, and not the U.S. socket.)

SparkE said:
devbolt said:

BOTH plug ends ;)

Type 2 for the car, AND on the other end the appropriate (non-NEMA) plug that will be pushed into the wall socket. (I am assuming that the Ampera-e will be sold with the European L2/L3 socket in the car, and not the U.S. socket.)
Doah! You are correct. European version gets the whacky (to us) socket that is common there.

SparkE said:

To expand on this, when talking about voltage, it is not the wiring but the insulation that matters. The wires matter for the amount of current. The typical wiring insulation is rated for 600V. I have not seen 120V wiring that cannot be used for 240V.

And as others have stated, if you don't feel comfortable, please don't do it!

178 miles; you should have NO problem

Are you willing to drive a bit more judiciously?

I will be publishing the results of my trip from Valley Village to Santa Cruz and back (different routes) and I achieved tremendous mileage on the way back just by following trucks at 55-60MPH on Hiway-99 (not hypermiling, just following the flow of traffic) and even going up the Grapevine and still was able to achieve about 270 miles on a charge!

SparkEVPilot said:
Better safe than sorry?? You bet!

You already have the L1 EVSE that came with the car.

So, for 3.3 kWh, buy a Clipper Creek LCS-20P 16 amp, L2 EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug ($395 + $23 shipping). Also buy a Cordtec Power 1.5 ft, 30 amp 4-prong NEMA 14-30P to NEMA 14-50R adapter.

If you want 6.6 kwh, buy a Clipper Creek HCS-40P 32 amp L2 EVSE, 240 V, NEMA 14-50P ($589 + $23 shipping) and the same adapter mentioned above. Note: this EVSE is big - 19.7" x 8.9" x 5.3" and weighs 13.5 lbs.

This way you will be able to connect the L2 EVSE to either a NEMA 14-30 outlet or a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Both EVSEs come with a 25 ft cable.

I've already got a Clipper Creek HCS-40P mounted in my garage but I don't think I'll ever lug it around in the back of my Bolt to get a 240V charge.

My RV days are over, so I also don't think I'll ever drive the Bolt far enough away from an existing L3 DCFC or L2 J1772 charging station to need to carry the LCS-20P either but, if I did, I'd opt for the AeroVironment Turbo Cord and carry a variety of electrical adapters with it instead.

The only thing I think I might actually need is a J1772 extension cord to be able to reach chargers that are blocked by ICE or EV cars that are not actually using an L2 charger that I need to reach. Still thinking about that.

BBell33 said:
We're going to pass on Tracy for Salida. It's 20 miles further and has 2 CCS DCFC.

I adjusted my plan with 2 changes:
- 3.5 miles per kWh
- 1.5kWh per 1,000 feet of climbing plus .75kWh per 1,000 of descending and reclimbing

So now:

Sausalito to Slaida
- 100 miles
- Fully recharge in Salida.
Vineyard 76 Station
or Vintage Faire Mall Starbucks

Salida to Murphys
- 60 miles plus 4,000 feet effective climbing
- I should have 128 miles when I arrive
- Victoria's Inn for lunch and a Level 2 charge

Salida to Bear Valley
- 38 miles and 6,280 effective feet of climbing
- I should still have 75 miles when I arrive.
We'll be paying close attention to our consumption rate from Salida to Murphys. So we'll decide what to do there.

It looks like this puppy can come off the leash.
We can easily make it to Slaida. There are 2 CCS DCFC there. That will get me to Murphys for lunch and a Level 2. Then a quick 6,280 foot climb to Bear Valley. Do a little show shoeing. Let Jim tear around in the Bolt. Trickle charge with Hill-Reserve on. And roll down the hill Sunday.

OK, All comments welcomed. Pray for warm weather.

Did you ever make this trip? Any conclusions, or advice?

SparkE said:
BBell33 said:
We're going to pass on Tracy for Salida. It's 20 miles further and has 2 CCS DCFC.

I adjusted my plan with 2 changes:
- 3.5 miles per kWh
- 1.5kWh per 1,000 feet of climbing plus .75kWh per 1,000 of descending and reclimbing

So now:

Sausalito to Slaida
- 100 miles
- Fully recharge in Salida.
Vineyard 76 Station
or Vintage Faire Mall Starbucks

Salida to Murphys
- 60 miles plus 4,000 feet effective climbing
- I should have 128 miles when I arrive
- Victoria's Inn for lunch and a Level 2 charge

Salida to Bear Valley
- 38 miles and 6,280 effective feet of climbing
- I should still have 75 miles when I arrive.
We'll be paying close attention to our consumption rate from Salida to Murphys. So we'll decide what to do there.

It looks like this puppy can come off the leash.
We can easily make it to Slaida. There are 2 CCS DCFC there. That will get me to Murphys for lunch and a Level 2. Then a quick 6,280 foot climb to Bear Valley. Do a little show shoeing. Let Jim tear around in the Bolt. Trickle charge with Hill-Reserve on. And roll down the hill Sunday.

OK, All comments welcomed. Pray for warm weather.

Did you ever make this trip? Any conclusions, or advice?
Salida location only has a single EVgo DCFC Combo station located between the gas station and the car wash. I have used this location many times to charge my 2015 Spark EV and it is quite reliable. The Valley Fair Mall located close by - about 2 miles South - has two EVgo DCFC combo stations in front of JC Pennys.

Back