2017 GM Bolt EV commercial showing real headlights

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erVHuXJLR3c

This Chevrolet Bolt EV all-electric commercial straight from Chevrolet includes a few extra details, like showing the production version of the headlights and taillights, as well as max cargo space of 56.6 cubic feet

mitchev said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erVHuXJLR3c

This Chevrolet Bolt EV all-electric commercial straight from Chevrolet includes a few extra details, like showing the production version of the headlights and taillights, as well as max cargo space of 56.6 cubic feet

I like to see production video of cars. Thanks for sharing with Chevrolet Bolt EV forum.

56 cubic feet is a lot of space. I knew the cargo space was big but didn't think it to be that big.

Diggle said:
56 cubic feet is a lot of space. I knew the cargo space was big but didn't think it to be that big.
You'll notice that the "56 cubic feet of cargo space" legend in the video occurs as the rear seats are folded down. It will be a lot less than that with 4 or 5 passengers in the car.

SeanNelson said:
Diggle said:
You'll notice that the "56 cubic feet of cargo space" legend in the video occurs as the rear seats are folded down. It will be a lot less than that with 4 or 5 passengers in the car.

So, with passengers inside, how much cargo space will be left?

Rivu said:
SeanNelson said:
Diggle said:
According to this the space behind the rear seats is 16.9 cubic feet.

They really thought of a lot of details with the Chevy Bolt that I think will make it ahead of its competitors for a while

laev said:
They really thought of a lot of details with the Chevy Bolt that I think will make it ahead of its competitors for a while

I disagree that they will be ahead for "a while". I give Nissan about 6 months to turn around with the second-generation Leaf. I fully expect the Leaf to be a strong competitor with the Bolt. Tesla will follow another 6-12 months later with the Model III. And we might be surprised with a fourth entry (VW? Ford?) between the Leaf and the Model III.

In the automotive world, being ahead for 6 months does not equate to "a while".

GetOffYourGas said:
laev said:

I disagree that they will be ahead for "a while". I give Nissan about 6 months to turn around with the second-generation Leaf. I fully expect the Leaf to be a strong competitor with the Bolt. Tesla will follow another 6-12 months later with the Model III. And we might be surprised with a fourth entry (VW? Ford?) between the Leaf and the Model III.

In the automotive world, being ahead for 6 months does not equate to "a while".
LEAF, refreshed version with 40 kWh pack (estimated 150 mile EPA) to be announced this fall, and may ship by year end
i3 shipping now with the new 33 kWh - 27.2 usable pack (confirmed 114 miles on the Monroney sticker)
2017 e-Golf 36 kWh and 124 miles (estimate) due (motor bump from 85 kW to 100 kW as well)
Ford announced a refreshed FFE for 2017 with range increased to 100 miles (estimate) - also will likely add CCS

Absolute best case scenario for the Model 3 is that they will start shipping 12 months behind the Bolt. For someone that starts looking at EV's in the next year or two, test driving a Model 3 and then taking delivery means what 2019? 2020? Later?

The Bolt will be the only sub $40K EV that you can decide to buy and drive home that day for the foreseeable future. I would expect inventory available on dealers lots by March. Nissan may get a 200 mile LEAF out in 2018 or 2019, but who knows. Rumors are that the i3 will get a second range bump with the new Samsung 120 aH cells to a 150 mile range for 2018.

So in reality it will likely be 2 years - not 6 months - before another 200 mile EV is readily available. In the EV segment of the auto industry, that definitely counts as "a while".

Gary--You always seem to have a finger on the pulse of the EV industry. I had heard most of that, but not the bit about the 40kWh "refreshed" LEAF. Is the rumor that it's the same chassis, just with updated styling and bigger battery and gen 2 will come later 18/19? I had thought the gen2 LEAF would be a contemporary of the Bolt and easily beat the Model 3 to market.

nevermind--Looks like the rumor is from July and the current chassis would get a 40kWh battery for 140miles. Gen 2 LEAF is likely no early than late 2017

DucRider said:
Absolute best case scenario for the Model 3 is that they will start shipping 12 months behind the Bolt. For someone that starts looking at EV's in the next year or two, test driving a Model 3 and then taking delivery means what 2019?

Tesla announces and shows car. DucRider says it's not possible. Claims everyone else will hit their timelines, like Ford and gives no chance for Tesla, the only one of the makers listed to have a 200 mile EV currently available. Curious. Why give everyone else a pass, and not believe Tesla will hit late 2017 with the Model 3?

SmartElectric said:
DucRider said:
Why give everyone else a pass, and not believe Tesla will hit late 2017 with the Model 3?
I can't speak for DucRider but the reason I find his position plausible is because Tesla has a pretty high profile reputation for not hitting its announced target dates. Maybe they've learned from experience and will do better this time around, but the scale of the ramp-up that they're facing suggests that it will be a challenge for them.

Tesla has made their reputation for missed dates. It's no one's fault but their own.

Maybe this time will be different.

I predict that a 200-mile / 60kWh Leaf will be available within 6 months of the Bolt. You clearly disagree.

Here are some facts on which I base my prediction:
  • Nissan has said that the next generation Leaf is due to arrive by the end of their "Power 88" plan - which ends March 31, 2017.
  • Nissan unveiled the IDS concept with a 60kWh battery and strongly hinted that it is a strong indication of the next Leaf
  • Ghosn responded to the Bolt unveiling by confirming that Nissan can and will meet or exceed its range
  • Ghosn has lit a fire underneath their battery supplier's rear end. He basically said they better match what LG Chem can do for GM, or he is jumping ship. He is committed to EVs, but not to a particular battery technology.
  • Nissan is still the world leader in cumulative BEV sales (although their lead is shrinking). They are talking like they are committed to retain that lead.

So we'll find out soon enough, but I expect Nissan to offer two battery options next spring: 40kWh and 60kWh. The high end will compete head-on with the Bolt.

VW is a bit of a wild card. Yes, the 2017 eGolf will have a boost to 36kWh. But it is stuck with the same battery volume as the 2016 eGolf. The car is due for an overhaul soon, and I expect them to find more space for batteries. I suspect we'll see a good jump in 2018. Remember, they also have been showing off their Budd-E concept with 100kWh of batteries! We could see a crossover coming soon that has 200+ miles of range.

Ford is a total mystery. They will probably catch up with GM/Nissan/etc, but not likely until 2018 or 2019.

So to boil down my prediction (which is as good as yours):
Bolt: T = 0
200-mile Leaf: T = +6 months
200-mile eGolf: T = +12 months
at T = +24 months, the Bolt will have no fewer than four other competitors in the 200-mile / sub-$40k zone

And then there is the question of infrastructure. In its current state, a 200-mile BEV is no more compelling to me than a 125-mile BEV. I just don't drive that far unless I'm going 250+ miles. And when I'm going 250+ miles, I need to charge on the road. Right now I cannot do so reliably. So what will the greater market say? More miles at any cost? Or will a cheaper option with sufficient range sell much better?

GM made it pretty clear that they are the Pioneers in electric technology and are taking a aggressive position in its offering of electric battery cars. The Chevy Bolt is getting a ton of publicity with much anticipation for its arrival

SeanNelson said:
Rivu said:
SeanNelson said:

Even 16.7 cubic feet is huge!

Diggle said:
SeanNelson said:
Rivu said:

By whose standard? The trunk space in my CMax Energi is 19 cubic feet and people constantly complain about how tiny it is due to the battery placement...

Diggle said:

I may be coming from the place of a longtime Mini driver, but to me that's the right about of room with the back seats up. I like a confined space to load the groceries so they don't flop around on the way home. Flip the back seats down for hauling. Works for me -- though of course YHNMV.

GetOffYourGas said:
Diggle said:
SeanNelson said:

By whose standard? The trunk space in my CMax Energi is 19 cubic feet and people constantly complain about how tiny it is due to the battery placement...

Since he's the one who wrote it, has to be by his standard, doesn't it?

Back