2017 Motor Trend Car of the Year

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffN

There may be some who see the selection of an electric vehicle as Motor Trend‘s Car of the Year—for only the second time in the award’s seven decades—as controversial. But to do so would be to suggest the Bolt EV is nothing more than an automotive oddity, a publicity stunt, or a technological dead end of limited use or value. Nothing could be further from the truth.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-2017-car-of-the-year/

Wow, I know this is an enthusiast magazine, but high praise indeed, and a few details I don't believe we've seen before. It also looks better in orange than I thought it would, at least in Motor Trend's beefcake photos. Still happy I stuck to the more subdued Arctic Blue, though.

Okay, Chevy. Get mine here by the end of the year. I'm ready.

If Chevy can manufacture the Bolt for a reasonable price tag doesn't that mean other manufactures would ideally have to keep their prices at the same mark to stay competitive? I haven't been able to come across information in a simplified format explaining how Chevy put out a spectacular product for a great price without loosing profit for itself

splitmitten said:
If Chevy can manufacture the Bolt for a reasonable price tag doesn't that mean other manufactures would ideally have to keep their prices at the same mark to stay competitive? I haven't been able to come across information in a simplified format explaining how Chevy put out a spectacular product for a great price without loosing profit for itself
GM did this, in part, by striking a business deal with LG. LG agreed to give GM a cheap price on batteries in return for GM agreeing to let LG supply a broader array of outsourced parts for the car than usual. Usually, the parts being supplied by LG come from a variety of different suppliers but LG is trying to grow their auto
parts supply business. Each company wins as does the consumer. LG's larger volume market for batteries means they can afford to invest in increasing manufacturing capacity which will help further drive down prices and help keep them competitive with Tesla/Panasonic's battery Gigafactory.

JeffN said:
There may be some who see the selection of an electric vehicle as Motor Trend‘s Car of the Year—for only the second time in the award’s seven decades—as controversial. But to do so would be to suggest the Bolt EV is nothing more than an automotive oddity, a publicity stunt, or a technological dead end of limited use or value. Nothing could be further from the truth.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-2017-car-of-the-year/

I can see why you chose that passage to quote from the article...it makes a powerful statement

The Bolt EV has won! Motor Trend announced the award yesterday

The Chevy Bolt EV didn’t win because it is an oddity or a flash in the pan. Motor Trend analyzes the design, engineering, efficiency, safety, value and performance. Bottom line, the Bolt EV dominated.

“Chevrolet has put every other car manufacturer on notice,” Roper says. “The Bolt EV sets a new standard.”

Back