2017 Nissan Leaf Hits Back At Chevrolet Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly OT, but the 2018 leaf options and prices have just been leaked. We'll be able to get a 2018 Leaf SV with options/features similar to a Bolt Premiere, for less than $35k. So for those needing no more than 140 miles of range, the Leaf is the clear winner here. The motor is 147HP, torque, 239, IIRC.

LeftieBiker said:
Slightly OT, but the 2018 leaf options and prices have just been leaked. We'll be able to get a 2018 Leaf SV with options/features similar to a Bolt Premiere, for less than $35k. So for those needing no more than 140 miles of range, the Leaf is the clear winner here. The motor is 147HP, torque, 239, IIRC.
Can you share a link to the source of this leak? Would love to know more.

Prices, specs, options.

http://pushevs.com/2017/08/07/2018-niss ... cs-prices/

https://www.autobytel.com/nissan/leaf/2 ... fications/

https://www.autobytel.com/nissan/leaf/2 ... figurator/

EDIT: looks like they've yanked the leaked info. Happily, you can some of them, with screen shots, read them in this topic:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17820&start=1410

You don't need a separate registration for the Leaf portion of this site. Just let the site log you in with your existing ID.

From memory: The S starts around $29k (I wasn't looking at that one). Charge package adds about $1500, heated seats another $450.

The SV starts at a low $31k, but more of the formerly standard features are in two option packages. One adds heated seats, wheel, and the heatpump, for $900. The other adds "tech" features like LED lights, Pro Pilot lite with smart cruise, lane departure warning, and a portable EVSE, also for $900. I priced out an SV with almost every option, for about $34k, or $1k less than my 2013 cost. The SL starts about $4k more than the SV, and only the heated seats are standard, so there is speculation that it may have the 60kwh battery. So someone wanting 140 miles of range can get a better-optioned SV for less than a Bolt LT, and those needing 200 miles of range may be able to get an SL for less than a Premiere, with similar options.

LeftieBiker said:
From memory: The S starts around $29k (I wasn't looking at that one). Charge package adds about $1500, heated seats another $450.

The SV starts at a low $31k, but more of the formerly standard features are in two option packages. One adds heated seats, wheel, and the heatpump, for $900. The other adds "tech" features like LED lights, Pro Pilot lite with smart cruise, lane departure warning, and a portable EVSE, also for $900. I priced out an SV with almost every option, for about $34k, or $1k less than my 2013 cost. The SL starts about $4k more than the SV, and only the heated seats are standard, so there is speculation that it may have the 60kwh battery. So someone wanting 140 miles of range can get a better-optioned SV for less than a Bolt LT, and those needing 200 miles of range may be able to get an SL for less than a Premiere, with similar options.
Standard on the SL over the SV for your $3,710 (price bump to the SL):
  • Heated Front Seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Heated Outside Mirrors
  • Rear Heater Ducts
  • Hybrid Heater
  • 6-Way Power Driver Seat w/2-Way Lumbar
  • Auto-Dimming Inside Mirror
  • Universal Garage Door Opener
  • LED Headlights
  • LED Signature Daytime Running Lights
  • Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
  • Portable Charge Cable
  • Leather Seats

Some of these may have been incorrect on the configuration site, but I think it very unlikely that the SL has more battery than the S and SV.
$3,700 isn't likely to get more than heated seats, power drivers seat, leather and driver aids (look at the Bolt LT to Premier)

Except that those options cost only $1800 ($1400 estimated after dealer discounts) all together. Rumor now has it that the bigger battery will be 50kwh instead of 60, and that would be achievable at that price. A new 24kwh pack retails for $6k, so adding 10kwh of capacity wouldn't be expensive.

There's a few things that don't add up.
The SV and SL Tech packages are both $900, but the SL list omits things (assumed to be already included on the SL) without adding anything additional.
SV Technology Package
GEN code: TE1
• 6-Way Power Driver Seat w/2-Way Lumbar
• Auto-Dimming Inside Mirror
• Universal Garage Door Opener
• LED Headlights
• LED Signature Daytime Running Lights
• Portable Charge Cable
• Automatic Emergency Braking (PAEB)
• Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
• Electric Parking Brake (EPKB)
• High Beam Assist (HBA)
• Intelligent Lane Intervention (I-LI)
• Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
• Propilot Assist
• Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)

SL Technology Package
GEN code: TE2
• Propilot Assist
• Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)
• Automatic Emergency Braking (PAEB)
• Electric Parking Brake (EPKB)
• Intelligent Lane Intervention (I-LI)
• High Beam Assist (HBA)

As to the 40 and 50 kWh possibility, I don't see enough of a price or range differential to make it worth it for Nissan to go that route, but many companies have done odd things with EV's. Like the Clarity with 89 miles of range (but it's a bigger car is Honda's response).

And the $6K 24 kWh price is conditional on the exchange of your old pack.

I think the tendency is give way too much credence to the 3rd party configuration utility that was here today, gone today.

The SV and SL Tech packages are both $900, but the SL list omits things (assumed to be already included on the SL) without adding anything additional.

The SL will have things like LED lights and a portable EVSE as standard equipment that are or will be optional on the SV. I agree that the configurator likely isn't 100% right, but I still see nothing to exclude a 50kwh, 200 mile range pack in the SL. The Magic Number in most people's minds isn't "238 miles. " It's "200 miles." Also keep in mind that Nissan isn't currently making any money on the degraded packs they require in return for a new one, so I don't see why the $6k (actually $5500, IIRC) figure for 24kwh isn't valid. Since the extra 10kwh wouldn't require its own BMS or full housing, it should be no trouble for them to provide 10kwh more for $2k.

IMAdolt said:
SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:
I'm guessing that you're still researching / shopping for an EV. We don't seem to get the crazy low lease deals like they do in the US, so buying a used one worked for me. If you do as well, I'd recommend filtering out all EV's that have lived their lives in Arizona.
I'm looking for a 300km plus vehicle, which pretty much eliminates used EVs of any flavour (Teslas are too big and too sedan-y for me). Since Bolts are so scarce here and I haven't had the opportunity to do a decent test drive in one, it looks like the Gen2 Leaf is going to at least be announced before I'll have any chance to buy a Bolt - so I'll certainly pay attention to what it has to offer. A thermally-managed battery would be a strong positive in my assessment, because it tells me that the manufacturer takes battery life seriously.

2018 e golf, 185 mile range? Might be available late this year early next year ..... might.

OT. And the 2018 eGolf has a 36kWh battery with 125 miles of EPA range.

GetOffYourGas said:
IMAdolt said:
SeanNelson said:
I'm looking for a 300km plus vehicle, which pretty much eliminates used EVs of any flavour (Teslas are too big and too sedan-y for me). Since Bolts are so scarce here and I haven't had the opportunity to do a decent test drive in one, it looks like the Gen2 Leaf is going to at least be announced before I'll have any chance to buy a Bolt - so I'll certainly pay attention to what it has to offer. A thermally-managed battery would be a strong positive in my assessment, because it tells me that the manufacturer takes battery life seriously.

2018 e golf, 185 mile range? Might be available late this year early next year ..... might.

OT. And the 2018 eGolf has a 36kWh battery with 125 miles of EPA range.

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-186-mile-e-golf-will-launch-end-of-this-year-or-early-next/

http://insideevs.com/next-generation-volkswagen-e-golf-to-get/

http://gtspirit.com/2017/04/06/2018-volkswagen-golf-r-gte-gti-and-e-golf-review/

Granted maybe not rock solid sources but better then the ones you've sited.

IMAdolt said:
Granted maybe not rock solid sources but better then the ones you've sited.

Lol! Touché!

But notice that two of those three talk about NEDC range, and that the EPA range would be more like 130 miles. In other words, 2 of 3 of your sources agree with me.

If the NEDC range ends up being way overstated then shame on them but until there is an EPA range then all we have it the manufacturer to tell us what's what.

Given this statement:

“The current e-Golf is 190 kilometers [118 miles] of range on paper and about 120 kilometers [75 miles] in the real world. The Golf VIII e-Golf will have 300 kilometers [186 miles] of real-world range – genuinely 300 kilometers.”

I would lean toward an EPA estimated range being more inline for this model but we'll have to wait and see.

The NEDC range is *always* considerably higher than the EPA range. It is calculated much differently than the EPA range - different calculations/mixes entirely. It is the *European* estimate, which focuses more on city driving.

This is the car that I'm referring to:

With a 35.8 kWh battery pack, 50% larger than the current 24kWh battery pack size, the e-Golf is rated for 300 kms of range on the NEDC scale, which should translate to an EPA rating of 125 miles.

http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/longer-range-volkswagen-e-golf-goes-on-sale-in-germany/

Now I will grant you that myelectriccarforums.com is no more reputable than insideevs.com. Both are enthusiast sites stood up very recently. So we will not know for sure until we see a 2018 eGolf. But given that 300km is 186 miles, and that the German 2017 eGolf is rated 300km on the NEDC, I am inclined to believe this is it.

DucRider said:
The 2017 e-Golf (that has yet to make it to the US) with the 35.8 kW pack is EPA rated at 125 combined (130 city, 118 hwy).
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/epadata/17data.zip

And:

"Options include an optional heat pump that will keep the cabin cozy and extend overall range compared to the conventional resistance heater.

That's actually a pretty big deal. It would be nice to see more EV's come standard with them, especially for those of us that live in northern climates. I'm still considering installing a diesel heat pump in my B250e, even though it would be easier (and cheaper) to drive one of my other cars December - February.

Next-generation LEAF debuting at eight National Drive Electric Week events following the global reveal in the United States on Sept. 5, 2017
Nissan LEAF is the official sponsor of National Drive Electric Week
LEAF owners able to sign up for "Drive and Discover Experience" test-drive opportunities coming to select cities later this fall
Nissan_LEAF_teaser.jpg

NASHVILLE – Less than a week after its global debut, the next-generation Nissan LEAF begins making public appearances at National Drive Electric Week events across the U.S. Consumers in eight cities will get an up-close look at the second-generation LEAF. Nissan LEAF is the official sponsor of National Drive Electric Week for the third straight year.

"The timing couldn't be better. Bringing LEAF to some of the most enthusiastic EV advocates just days after its global debut is the perfect way to kick things off for this technology-packed car," said Brian Maragno, director, Nissan EV Marketing and Sales Strategy. "We can't wait to show off the all-new LEAF to electric vehicle owners and enthusiasts during National Drive Electric Week."

The next-generation Nissan LEAF will be on display in the following cities during National Drive Electric Week.

Sept. 9

Seattle, Washington | Denny Park | 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
San Diego, California | Qualcomm Stadium | 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Alpharetta, Georgia | Avalon | 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Sept. 14

Bridgewater, New Jersey | Bridgewater Municipal Building Car Park | 6 p.m.-9 p.m.
Sept. 16

Portland, Oregon | Washington Square | 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Los Angeles, California | Los Angeles State Historic Park | 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Cupertino, California | DeAnza College | 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Cambridge, Massachusetts | Danehy Park | 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Visit DriveElectricWeek.org/Events for additional details and locations.

Consumers visiting the Nissan display in each city will be greeted by a modern space, featuring the next-generation LEAF. Visitors will be able to explore the LEAF, equipped with Nissan Intelligent Mobility features including ProPILOT Assist™ and e-Pedal technology. On-site hosts will be available throughout the events to answer questions and provide a closer look at LEAF. Food, beverages and branded merchandise will also be available for visitors.

Current LEAF owners will be offered an exclusive chance to sign up for the "The All New LEAF Drive and Discover Experience," providing a behind-the-wheel opportunity to experience the next-generation LEAF just weeks after it is unveiled. To sign up, owners must present the key fob to their current LEAF and register for the test drive while visiting the display. The first test-drives will begin in October.

Started in 2011, National Drive Electric Week features local events across the U.S. aimed to build EV awareness and inspire drivers to consider an EV for their next car. This year's event is expected to be the biggest National Drive Electric Week yet, with nearly 200 enthusiast-driven events taking place from September 9-17. Besides EV-centric car meets and parades, you can expect announcements from key EV stakeholders across the country.

To date, Nissan LEAF sales in the United States total 112,128 and more than 270,000 globally. For more information on the LEAF and the complete Nissan vehicle lineup, please visit nissannews.com.

About Plug In America
Plug In America is a national nonprofit organization that works to accelerate the shift to plug-in vehicles powered by clean, affordable, domestic electricity to reduce our nation's dependence on petroleum and improve the global environment. The organization conceived National Drive Electric Week and has advanced workplace charging by pioneering ride-and-drive events at such leading corporations as Google, Mattel and Paramount Pictures. It developed the world's largest, most dedicated network of plug-in vehicle owners and drivers, many of whom have driven EVs for well over a decade. We drive electric. You can too. pluginamerica.org.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...lays-during-2017-national-drive-electric-week

Hope to see some of you at the Portland event.
No test drives on the LEAF, but we will have many others like the Bolt, Clarity, i3, etc.

Bridgewater, NJ seems like a reasonable place to have the NYC area showing. I don't think I'll get there but it wouldn't be that bad a trip for me. Seems like they will have one east coast car making it's way up the coast.

This is the first year that there will be two Long Island Drive Electric Week events. I'm going to both of them. I haven't seen any Bolt's signed up yet though.

New Jersey and Eastern Mass SUCKS for Upstate NY! I have no intention of driving 8 hours just to sit in a car for 10 minutes. And it appears that to get an October test drive, you have to physically be at one of these events to register!

Back