...and for the critics...

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iletric

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-design-analayzed/

http://cardesignnews.com/articles/first-sight/2016/12/chevy-bolt

“The Bolt could have been the Mustang or Corvair Monza of our era. It had the potential to be an affordable, sporty car that spoke of the future and the fun of driving, or an autonomous car that could be a cool ride, not just a transportation appliance.

“Make no mistake, GM deserves high praise for the effort to bring electric car mobility to the everyday driver.

“But we’re left with the feeling that an opportunity for Chevrolet to put yet another icon on the American road – another Corvette or Camaro or Bel Air – has been missed. What a shame.”

Yes, and the article goes on to say:
Consider another type of car which, some time ago, launched a new era in automotive design and packaging, one that we still have today – the original Ford Mustang. It was woefully underpowered, had a cramped back seat, a small trunk, and was basically a tarted up Ford Falcon. But who remembers that?
So their mantra is: if it looks good, who cares about whether it's useful or not. Which is the sort of thing you'd expect from "Car Design News".

But sorry, I'm a lot more interested in how useful the car is than how it looks. And I suspect a lot of other buyers are too.

For my part I'm mystified. Whatever a car is good at it should be very, very good at. Cars that are good at more than one thing are a rarity. My BMW's have all be beautiful cars. My Honda's? Er.....not so much. But the Honda's are have been good at being reliable and smooth and, alas, just as "good" at what they do. People are not simple. They are complex. More fun to drive than the competition in the efficient category and more efficient too, the Bolt is good at more than one thing. The Model 3? Few would argue that when produced the physical charms of the Model 3 will not be comparable to the Bolt. But who cares? Beauty is skin deep.

Many of the so called "reviews" I have seen focus on styling, amenities, location of controls, etc. I continue to feel that if the car will go 200 miles (it will), I can afford it (looks like it), and there are no major defects (don't know of any) than I want one as soon as my current lease expires (March)

Back