Android Auto support

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbolt

I have successfully connected, but it is very unreliable to get it connected every time (display message says to use a compatible device). According to google support for android auto, the bolt is not listed, so I am presuming the difficult lies with google's support so far.
But as others have had more success apparently, what are the tricks (may the phones?/andriod version).
My wife has not had much trouble with carplay (though she does not really like it and does not use it much), and it's easy enough to toggle that off and android auto on, so not sure if there is an issue or another setting is interfering.

Bluetooth works fine.
A nuisance maybe related is that my phone keeps going to android auto upon plugging in the cable (and I only need it to display to dash, so it slows my phone to go into that mode) and then I must choose Midi as type of USB to work when the cable is connect. By default it does not connect in a way that works, eg charging mode.
Nexus 6 on 7.0.

I was loving Android Auto for navigation and playing my music from my phone. It was awesome. But tonight it freaked out the car and now my sound on the CAR doesn't work at all. No music, nothing. The phone says the software is incompatible with the car. the car says something similar. Screwed. had the car for 4 days.

I would expect that to be a trivial fix (just software and a brand new car). Unfortunately, my android auto does not even (reliably) connect, so I can use the bluetooth audio and still look at my phone.
I will buy new cables and try them out, since most of my cables don't even offer me a non charging option, it may be very finicky with cables, but that is different from a software notice.

EZRyder said:
I was loving Android Auto for navigation and playing my music from my phone. It was awesome. But tonight it freaked out the car and now my sound on the CAR doesn't work at all. No music, nothing. The phone says the software is incompatible with the car. the car says something similar. Screwed. had the car for 4 days.
I imagine that you've done this already, but did you try rebooting the phone? I've run into occasional issues with Android Auto which are usually fixed by rebooting the phone. In addition, I ran into an issue yesterday in which all the functionality would work except for the phone aspect of Android Auto. The phone aspect apparently depends on Bluetooth, but it may also depend on Wifi somehow. I had disabled Wifi, and as soon as I turned Wifi back on, it seemed like that was what caused it to start working again. In that case, rebooting the phone didn't make a difference.

Also, on a separate note, there are more apps that work with Android Auto than Google Play Music and Pandora. I installed Amazon Music, Audible, and NPR One, and all work with the Android Auto audio feature. You can find a list of Android Auto-capable apps in the Play Store, although Skype is one app that is listed as supporting Android Auto but doesn't show up on the Bolt.

Some other Android Auto things that I've discovered:
  • If you are expecting to see text messages appear on the screen when you receive them, that doesn't appear to be a supported feature currently. I'm not asking for the ability to send text messages (maybe dictation would be okay), but it would certainly be nice to see them when they arrive.
  • To make the most of Google Play Music with Android Auto, I've found that it is best to create playlists. The Google Play Music Android Auto app doesn't have particularly good filter functionality for local content (i.e. by album, by artist, etc). Chevrolet's music browsing over Bluetooth is superior in my opinion.
  • You can say "OK, Google" out loud to get Android Auto to listen to you without having to press the microphone button.

This may not fix it, but

Home + FF>> for 10 seconds reboots the infotainment system

More information about text messages. It is possible to dictate text messages using "OK, Google". It isn't currently possible to read text messages, and if you say "read texts", Google will respond indicating that isn't supported yet, with the implication being that it is coming, perhaps.

I tried "Turn on defroster", but Android Auto couldn't help with that :) . It would be nice to have control of some of the vehicle's features through Android Auto. I also tried "Switch to audio screen" or variations on that, but it wouldn't do that--I have to hit the touch screen to switch between the different modes, although it is possible to cause it to indirectly switch to a different mode, say, map mode, by telling Android Auto to navigate to a destination.

Back