Any suggestions for my Bolt test drive (Saturday)

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterCT

I've been on/off this forum for months, and I'm aware of several issues (pro and con) raised here (especially seats). Well I'm !finally! taking my first CT test drive (with an EV fan friend) this Saturday. I'm wondering if any actual Bolt owners would care to point out anything they feel I should be alert to during the test drive? One of us might very well walk away with a Bolt Saturday, so any tips are appreciated.

Here in CT we get a $3,000 Bolt/Volt incentive. So that's $10,500 off the top, plus any dealer discounting we can arrange.

Thanks!

PS: We're also testing a Volt. Any Volt owners are invited to give us tips.

The same as with any car, so don't be awed by the electric power. Look for fit issues (like the doors - many reported issues there) and noises and bad manufacturing. It's GM, so regular practices prevail.

Also be sure to check the installed software in the console.

(This user was formerly from coastal CT. I don't know if that taints the opinions though.)

Given the threads about the seats, pay attention to the seat comfort.

If you happen to have any sheets of closed cell foam or similar pads, perhaps bring them. Then if the seats are a problem, see if putting the closed cell foam sheet(s) on the seat fixes it for you (then you can later stuff the closed cell foam under the existing seat cushion as described in another thread).

If you have any common cargo or kid seats, you may want to bring them for test fitting.

gbobman said:
The same as with any car, so don't be awed by the electric power. Look for fit issues (like the doors - many reported issues there) and noises and bad manufacturing. It's GM, so regular practices prevail.

Check the calendar. It's 2017, not 2002. Check the JD Power, Consumer Reports reliability/dependability ratings for various manufactures and makes/models. Maker sure those are the most recent ratings, not those from 15 years ago. Also, I don't recall any issues regarding the door, save for the fact that they are aluminum and will require a bit more power to close. There have been some issues regarding the seat covering pulling away from the back of the seat.

To the O.P. : Besides the well known "issues" (which often tend to be personal preferences), be sure to fell/hear how smooth and quiet that ride is. I've had EV's since 2012, and it is still the thing I notice every time I get behind the wheel.

Check the calendar. It's 2017, not 2002. Check the JD Power, Consumer Reports reliability/dependability ratings for various manufactures and makes/models. Maker sure those are the most recent ratings, not those from 15 years ago. Also, I don't recall any issues regarding the door, save for the fact that they are aluminum and will require a bit more power to close. There have been some issues regarding the seat covering pulling away from the back of the seat.

There have been several photos posted and complaints made about poorly aligned doors and rear hatches. I suggest you consider asking questions first, and insulting later...

If you're looking at a Premier, make sure you flip on the electronic rear view monitor. Mine was defective on the lot.

Thanks all! There are a few things on here I wouldn't have known to look at. My friend and I are both willing to overlook a lot of fit and finish stuff, as long as the seats are fixed (fingers crossed there's been an unannounced production line change). Oh, and as long as the price is right, which is a very personal decision for all of us.

If you sit in the seats and they are the least bit uncomfortable - make sure the dealer hears it. Not just the salesman - the service manager or the sales manager. Make a point to let them know. A lot of people come to the lot - don't like the seats and walk away. The more GM hears the seats are hurting potential sales the better. Don't assume the salesman will bubble that info up.

Leased on January 3rd; driven almost 7,000 miles,

6 foot 1/2 inch, big frame and no seat problem for me! Actually like the lumbar support!

Bring an iPhone/android phone for CarPlay Nav as NO internal Nav that is included in the less expensive Volt! My BFF went Tesla for this reason alone when his Volt lease expired!

Lots to love; little to hate!

LeftieBiker said:

There have been several photos posted and complaints made about poorly aligned doors and rear hatches. I suggest you consider asking questions first, and insulting later...
He speaks from an anecdotal point of view!

LeftieBiker said:

Show me one. No, show me "several".

Did you check CURRENT reliability/owner satisfaction surveys of various makes/models? You should do that before you lay "insults" based on decades old data.

BTW, just because I disagreed with you, doesn't mean you were insulted. No need for a straw man reaction.

No, you didn't insult me. You insulted someone else. Since you are both less than pleasant and unhelpful, I'll just post what you so, er, nicely requested. Then I'll be filtering you.

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5860&p=14794&hilit=Fit+&+Finish#p14794

What exactly do customer satisfaction surveys on other cars have to do with the brand new Bolt? (That was rhetorical.) There are plenty of issues and complaints, from seats, to fit & finish, to electronics, to seats. Also seats. You can keep reading here, or blindly deny that they exist. Your choice. Bye.

LeftieBiker said:
No, you didn't insult me. You insulted someone else. Since you are both less than pleasant and unhelpful, I'll just post what you so, er, nicely requested. Then I'll be filtering you.

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5860&p=14794&hilit=Fit+&+Finish#p14794

What exactly do customer satisfaction surveys on other cars have to do with the brand new Bolt? (That was rhetorical.) There are plenty of issues and complaints, from seats, to fit & finish, to electronics, to seats. Also seats. You can keep reading here, or blindly deny that they exist. Your choice. Bye.

The poster in this instance wrote "It's GM, so regular practices prevail.", an obvious dig at GM. We see a lot of this in this forum and FB groups. I would agree with this... if it were 15 years ago. Since then, GM went bankrupt and darn near disappeared. Since their rebirth, they have cleaned up their act, and the results show marked improvement. Perhaps this should be acknowledged instead of repeating ancient news?

----

To the OP: Apologies for the thread hijack. I hope you have gotten some good suggestions here.

ScooterCT said:
One of us might very well walk away with a Bolt Saturday, so any tips are appreciated.

You've hung around long enough on this forum that you may think you know the car inside and out - but all that goes out the window once you're up close & personal with the car. Do all the normal stuff...sit in the passenger & back seats...bring your golf clubs to see how they fit...check seating position & visibility, comfort level, etc. I'm guessing this isn't your first rodeo. Trust your instincts. I drove a half dozen different EV's, but it took me about 30 seconds to decide on the one I'm driving now. That said, I shopped around another month to find the best deal I could once I knew the car I was going to buy. Take your time. I like doing written offers that expire in a day that include stuff like heavy-duty floor mats, cargo liners, etc that cost the dealership very little but are expensive after the fact.

dandrewk said:
We see a lot of this in this forum and FB groups. I would agree with this... if it were 15 years ago. Since then, GM went bankrupt and darn near disappeared. Since their rebirth, they have cleaned up their act, and the results show marked improvement.
"Improvement" is the key word here. They may be better than the GM of old (I wouldn't know, I've never bought GM before) but IMHO they haven't yet reached the standard of some of the other manufacturers. I've been following the rollout of the Gen2 Volt and the Bolt on several different forums, and both have had numerous complaints, some about systematic problems that have affected multiple people.

That kind of thing simply hasn't happened on the Prius C forum, even though that was a brand new from-the-ground-up model when it was introduced. The biggest issues I've seen there are leaky taillights and a driver's side power door lock that seems to fail after about 50,000km. I've never seen a single complaint about a new Prius C failing to start, or stopping and stranding its owner somewhere. And there were a lot more Prius C's sold in its first couple of years than Volts or (so far) Bolts.

Having said that, I still plan to buy a Bolt. I understand that it's still only a small percentage of vehicles that have these problems (buggy software aside). But my eyes are open to the fact that I'm at least a bit more likely to experience an issue and have to rely on GM's warranty to fix it.

GM still has room for improvement, IMHO.

That kind of thing simply hasn't happened on the Prius C forum, even though that was a brand new from-the-ground-up model when it was introduced.

I'm fairly sure that the Prius C uses the Gen 2 engine, and I thought that it used a modified Yaris body platform. Not sure about the latter, though. I've always been surprised at how people complain that the C is way too slow, when it uses the same drivetrain as the Gen 2 (presumably in a lighter body), which didn't get the same complaint...

SeanNelson said:
I still plan to buy a Bolt. I understand that it's still only a small percentage of vehicles that have these problems (buggy software aside). But my eyes are open to the fact that I'm at least a bit more likely to experience an issue and have to rely on GM's warranty to fix it.

Sean, chances are you're going to experience an issue; and rely on warranty no matter what new car you buy.

oilerlord said:
SeanNelson said:
Sean, chances are you're going to experience an issue; and rely on warranty no matter what new car you buy.
I don't doubt that. I just hope it's not a problem that disables the car, especially if that strands me somewhere inconvenient.

I'm not unrealistic about these kinds of things, but the fact that I highly admire and respect GM for creating both the Volt and Bolt in the first place doesn't mean I think the company is beyond reproach. Any more than a Tesla owner should think Tesla is a perfect company when so many of their customers seem to needing multiple trips to the service shop to fix problems.

Way to go GM! But you're not all the way there yet.

Back