Anyone else played video on their infotainment screen?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjr

The owner's manual says this:
"The USB storage device can only be recognized when it is formatted in FAT16/32, NTFS, HFS+. exFAT and other file systems cannot be recognized."

And this:
"Only the following file extensions are supported: *.jpg, *.bmp, *.png, *.gif. Animated GIF is not supported. Some files may not operate due to a different format or the condition of the file."

And yet this guy got video to play! So what format of file did he use?! The file name says mp4 but mp4's recorded from my Samsung phone aren't even listed....

https://youtu.be/s4UTNcNced4

Yes.

NTFS worked for me, exFAT did not.
Some of my mp4 files work, some don't. I don't know why the ones that don't work don't work.

My 1GB HP flash drive formatted in NTFS did not work.

I keep getting a USB is not supported error.

I will try a larger capacity drive next.

8Gb formated as NTFS did not work; nor 1GB formated as HFS+ did not work either :(

A recent rash of mail thefts in our neighborhood along with a breakin or two makes me want to put a video camera at the end of my driveway that would capture the cars driving by, and stopping at mailboxes. I'm thinking about one of the systems that can display the video on my mobile.

Coincidentally, a neighbor has constructed a fence that makes it hard to see down the road to safely get on to the road.

Instead of putting up a traffic mirror, I wonder if it would be possible, using the USB connection, to display on the infotainment screen, the video camera feed from my phone. A little beyond my technical expertise, but if someone manages this, I'd appreciate hearing how to do it.

Thanks

Please clarify: you want to use the camera on your phone to display on the infotainment screen on the Bolt EV?

Airbesar - you plan on installing a video camera that you can monitor from your phone? How would the phone obtain access the camera? Via the internet (say, the camera has an assigned IP address)? Or would the phone have a dedicated app that knows how to access the external camera?

HOW (or even if it's possible) would depend on HOW you access the feed from the camera, and quite possibly the OS of the phone you have (Android? iOS?)

I don't think that there's enough info provided to be able to help you.

Good questions. There are probably other systems but I'm looking at using a video camera from Arlo https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/default.aspx or Nest https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam-outdoor/

I don't know beyond what's on these webpages. You evidently can monitor the views from these outdoor video cameras on a smart phone anywhere you have Internet access. CNET has at least a review of Arlo.

I have an Android phone. My neighbor's new fence blocks my view of the road so I can't see if other cars are coming. I could put one of these cameras on a pole at the side of the road, where one might otherwise put a traffic mirror. As I was preparing to enter the road, I could bring up on my phone, the video from the camera. But I'd probably get a better view if I could put that video onto the much larger infotainment screen, using the USB input.

I could just put up the mirror but since we're also interested in monitoring for the mail thieves, I thought a camera could be used for both security and safely entering the road. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Maxters said:
Make sure your video is formatted 720 or they won't work also.

Have you confirmed that 720p (or 720i?) is the only resolution that works?

That must have required a lot of trial and error to confirm!

There is also a limit in the size of the file; I've played .mp4 and .avi files. I

know that a 400MB movie will not play, but a smaller one will.

I have not done the testing to find the exact limit, but my guess is that it is around 250MB

Works great for me. Formatted FAT sandisk thumb drive and used .mp4 and .jpeg formats.

Back