Apple CarPlay music selection with vehicle in motion

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill565

The apple music selection menu through CarPlay is really good. It allows scrolling through artists as well as a fast search feature via the first letter of the artist's name. I played around with this feature at the dealership before buying my Bolt because my kids constantly skip from song to song. It all works great.....until the car starts moving. The cool scrolling feature only seems to work when the car is stationary (which is obviously not very often!). As soon as the car is in motion the scrolling is disabled and the song selection is via Siri which is hopeless for my uses since the song currently playing is muted for a Siri command, the voice recognition is pretty hit and miss and even when it works the next song plays instantly (my kids like to queue up the next song while the current one is playing).

It seems such a waste to design an excellent interface for a car which doesn't work when the car moves! I presume this is some sort of liability fear with drivers distracted scrolling through menus but resorting to scrolling through the phone menu is way worse and there are other features accessible via menus which work when the car is moving. More importantly I have driven other cars (eg BMW and VW) which have similar music scrolling features which work fine when the car is being driven.

Is there some way around the motion disable "feature"? Could it be fixed in a subsequent software release?

bill565 said:
Is there some way around the motion disable "feature"? Could it be fixed in a subsequent software release?

Yes, I am sure it could be fixed in software. But first, you'd have to fix lawyers, the litigious environment and the plaintiffs' bar. That'll be a lot tougher.

bill565 said:
The apple music selection menu through CarPlay is really good. It allows scrolling through artists as well as a fast search feature via the first letter of the artist's name. I played around with this feature at the dealership before buying my Bolt because my kids constantly skip from song to song. It all works great.....until the car starts moving. The cool scrolling feature only seems to work when the car is stationary (which is obviously not very often!). As soon as the car is in motion the scrolling is disabled and the song selection is via Siri which is hopeless for my uses since the song currently playing is muted for a Siri command, the voice recognition is pretty hit and miss and even when it works the next song plays instantly (my kids like to queue up the next song while the current one is playing).

It seems such a waste to design an excellent interface for a car which doesn't work when the car moves! I presume this is some sort of liability fear with drivers distracted scrolling through menus but resorting to scrolling through the phone menu is way worse and there are other features accessible via menus which work when the car is moving. More importantly I have driven other cars (eg BMW and VW) which have similar music scrolling features which work fine when the car is being driven.

Hi bill565,

Thanks for reaching out! The disabled scrolling is in place to help reduce driver distraction and ensure a safer ride for you and your passengers. I can certainly see where you're coming from, and have made sure to pass along your comments to my internal teams for their awareness and review.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Warm Wishes,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thanks Amber. If you haven't already done so please mention that there are other features which require scrolling through menus (eg music favorites, radio lists, driving efficiency info) and they work fine while the vehicle is in motion. Also other cars (eg BMW and VM) allow music/artist selection via menus while the car is in motion. I really like the interface but would just like to be able to actually use it! Thanks again for passing along the request.

bill565 said:
Thanks Amber. If you haven't already done so please mention that there are other features which require scrolling through menus (eg music favorites, radio lists, driving efficiency info) and they work fine while the vehicle is in motion. Also other cars (eg BMW and VM) allow music/artist selection via menus while the car is in motion. I really like the interface but would just like to be able to actually use it! Thanks again for passing along the request.

No thanks necessary, bil565! Customer input is something that our teams always look for. if you have any future questions, comments or concerns, please let me know. I'm here and happy to help.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Back