Battery recall

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parts arrived on the 13th day at the dealership.
And much to my surprise, they were able to do the entire recall service in 1 day.

I picked up my bolt (with 100% charge) at 5:30 pm the same day.

Funny, as they were working on it mid-day, OnStar automatically emailed me there was a problem with the transmission and drive train.

But when I got my car, apparently (and shockingly) it looks like the 12 v was never disconnected.

All my radio presets were intact.
My trip odometer was intact.
My driving history and miles per kWh history were all intact. My old battery had 212 miles on a full charge. My “new” battery had 212 miles on a full charge.

On second thought, MAYBE they decided NOT to change anything after all!!!!
:shock:

GM announced a “customer service bulletin” about this issue today for a software update.

This software update is for all 2017 Bolt EVs.

It does not avoid the need to replace battery packs if any bad battery cells ever occur in your car but it gives better advanced warning that the car is about to shutdown so you can safely pull to the side of the road.

You can read more details about the underlying bad cell problem at the “See also:” link at the bottom of the article.

See more details at:

https://electricrevs.com/2018/04/05/gm-issues-software-update-for-bolt-ev-battery-problem/

After getting my car back from the battery replacement I now detect a burning plastic smell or that hot electronics smell.

Under the hood I can’t detect anything hot. (Or even warm). And it does NOT smell worse after several full throttle accelerations. So I don’t think it is worstend by full load/160 kw output. I couldn’t force anything under the hood to get hot.

But there is an ever present “burning” smell. Sublte but there.

Back