Bay Area Electrician for 240 line run for Bolt EVSE plugin

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zappcatt

Have any of you Bay Area Volt/Bolt or other EV owners had a great experience with an electrician wiring your house specifically for your EV?

I have contacted several local dealers, and they said that they can not recommend anyone, even though many/most articles about EV's suggest contacting your dealer for a well known, reputable electrician who is familiar with the requirements/permits.

I realize there is nothing "special" about the line, but all of the electrical work I have done around the house was for the sole purpose of wiring whatever I was putting in so the contractor who was installing it took care of the necessary wiring, for my new Heater, Stove, fountain, etc.

I do not have a "trusted" local electrician.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I use this resource to find local (Bay Area) tradesmen : https://www.checkbook.org/subscribe

It's basically 'Consumer Reports'. Where CR evaluates products available nationwide, BA Checkbook evaluates service available locally. (In a similar manner to how CR does it - via member feedback.)

I've selected my roofer, floorer, plumber, house painter, and auto mechanics (and others) using them over the past 15 years without a single hickup.

I've had good look requesting quotes from thumbtack.com . Many on there don't seem reputable because they will give the quote and once they come to your home they will triple the quote, but if you know that ahead of time and try to chose someone with a high star rating , then you will be better off.

michael said:
Do it yourself. This is simple DIY electrical work, not rocket science.

It may not be rocket science, but it is electrical engineering. Small mistakes with high voltage = big problems.

I talked to a local electrical contractor about installing an EVSE in my garage. He said it was about an hour's work, so that's probably not much more than $100, parts included. I call that cheap insurance at twice the price.

Do you have NextDoor.com in your neighborhood? I find that's a good way to ask people in your area for referrals on a variety of services and trades.

I had Granite Electric do it for me
http://www.graniteelectricinc.com/

They were very professional, and best price of the bids i got

roundpeg said:
michael said:
Do it yourself. This is simple DIY electrical work, not rocket science.

It may not be rocket science, but it is electrical engineering. Small mistakes with high voltage = big problems.

I talked to a local electrical contractor about installing an EVSE in my garage. He said it was about an hour's work, so that's probably not much more than $100, parts included. I call that cheap insurance at twice the price.

Do you have NextDoor.com in your neighborhood? I find that's a good way to ask people in your area for referrals on a variety of services and trades.

It's not high voltage. It's the same 120 volts to ground as every other circuit in your house. 240 phase to phase. Simple DIY.

I do agree if $100 why bother but I'd be surprised if you can get it done that cheaply.

michael said:
It's not high voltage. It's the same 120 volts to ground as every other circuit in your house. 240 phase to phase. Simple DIY.

I do agree if $100 why bother but I'd be surprised if you can get it done that cheaply.

I know it isn't at all complicated but 240 V @ 40 amps is a lot of juice. You could kill yourself dead. Either way I've had my share of shocks, so I already know that I hate it.

What it will cost will of course depend on what you need done. In my case I already have a sub-panel in the garage with a pair of available breakers. So all the electrician needs to do is run some conduit and install the 14-50 plug. Maybe an hour he said. I'd also trust his judgement more than my own on whether the existing breaker pair is up to snuff.

I wouldn't go encouraging people to DIY an electrical job like this so fast. Even if you understand house wiring and have experience, I would put your design up on this forum and ask for comments before you start. One complicated issue is whether your electrical service has the capacity for the highest power L2 EVSE. And I've heard people talk about needing a city permit to install one.

It is no harder than installing an additional outlet. Yes. Permits should be obtained. Here in Los Angeles they cost almost $100 but homeowner IS allowed to do the work. If you are clueless about electricity then hire an electrician. If you find a cheap LICENSED Electrician then great. But this is very basic stuff that any reasonably handy person can do.

Back