BMW and VW finish installing EV chargers along US coastlines

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SparkE, I agree that one charging stop on a trip would be about my limit, and the limit of most people. Even then, much more than 30 to 45 minutes, and I am going to be antsy and wanting to get back on the road. LA to SF or LA to LV would be doable, assuming I am not making the trip very often. The other issue is, is there charging available right at my destination? After a long drive, I don't feel like leaving my car somewhere to charge.

Michael

There should be charging available at the destination.

Upon arrival in the destination city :
- you choose a hotel with L2 charging, and charge it overnight (believe me, once hotels start getting those "I want to reserve a room, but do you have EV charging at the hotel?" calls, L2 charging will pop up at hotels all over the place). As an example, in the Bay Area there are quite a few hotels with Tesla-only plugs already - including Marriot & Holiday Inn, not talking about the high end resorts. Heck, the Best Western closest to my house already has L2 charging.
- 50 kW chargers will be available in urban areas (where I live, they already ARE available all over) : 20 minutes gives you an extra 60 or more miles of range for the rest of the day
- You use L2 charging. If a business trip, you inquire about charging at the site. If family, you do leave the car to charge (in a safe spot) for a few hours while out with (or visiting with) family, then go pick it up. (I do that when I visit my sister - I arrive with about 15% of battery, there's an L2 site with 6 plugs of 6.6kW charging about a mile from her house where I leave the car and pick it up later in the day.)
- If you are visiting family, you charge overnight at their house

If charging isn't readily available, take the ICE for the trip. Once a significant minority of people have EVs, the infrastructure will start growing quickly. I would say less than 5% of cars would cause a big increase of public EVSE installations. People with EVs are the ones driving new(er) vehicles - the ones who do spend money. Businesses are going to want to attract those people. I see it where I live (SF By area) where way less than 5% of the vehicles are EVs, but the number of public places with EVSEs available have skyrocketed over the past year or so (smallish outdoor malls, big indoor malls, apt buildings, employers, downtown retail areas, department stores, movie theatres, etc). Food markets/"drug stores" have started installing the slower DCFCs (20-25kW) to bring people in - a 15 minute shopping trip adds maybe 25 miles to the car and people do stop there because of it.

Back