Bolt EV Competitor Spec Comparison

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like there is EPA range and efficiency data plus Car & Driver performance data for the Bolt EV that could be added to the spec table now.

Also, I personally consider the DC charging peak power and peak rate to be speculative because GM has framed these numbers in the context of existing 125A CCS charging stations that are installed today. GM has refused to say what the peak charging power is when the Bolt is plugged into a 200A or higher-powered charger.

JeffN said:
It seems like there is EPA range and efficiency data plus Car & Driver performance data for the Bolt EV that could be added to the spec table now.

Also, I personally consider the DC charging peak power and peak rate to be speculative because GM has framed these numbers in the context of existing 125A CCS charging stations that are installed today. GM has refused to say what the peak charging power is when the Bolt is plugged into a 200A or higher-powered charger.
Crap..cut-and-paste error to my old data. The previous post is corrected now. Also, here's the correct link:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/media/20161029-bev-comparison.116204/full

I agree that the DC charging peak could be higher in the Bolt EV. But until GM wants to take credit for a higher charging power capability, I'll leave it at the power (50kW) they've implied with their DC charging rate statements.

Zoomit said:
Crap..cut-and-paste error to my old data. The previous post is corrected now. Also, here's the correct link:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/media/20161029-bev-comparison.116204/full
Excellent. I was guessing that might be the case.

Where did the speculation that the Bolt EV has a 70.2 kWh battery come from? That seems very unlikely.

GM had said in earlier interviews that the usable versus nominal battery capacity in the Bolt EV would be roughly similar to the Spark EV. You show the Spark EV as being 19.4 kWh nominal and 17.7 usable which is a 9.6% spread.

If applied to the Bolt EV with the assumption that the usable capacity is 60 kWh that would only result in a 65.75 kWh nominal estimate.

And actually, GM has published multiple documents stating that the Spark EV nominal battery is 18.4 kWh rather than 19.4. That would be a spread of 4% which if applied to 60 kWh usable would result in 62.4 kWh nominal, a much more believable number.

For example:
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/spark-ev/2015.tab1.html

The drag coefficient and thus the total drag area is also a bit speculative. I know that the Bolt EV's exterior vehicle designer was quoted in an interview as saying the Cd was .32 but I'm not aware that GM has ever published that number itself on any public specification sheet or online press release.

However, GM did apparently give out a specification sheet to a few journalists it briefed back in January and that is where Car & Driver got the 25.8 sq ft frontal area number that they published back then. They also published the Cd as .312, consistent with the specification sheet that GM gave them.

It's not at all clear that anything has caused that January .312 Cd value to have changed.

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

The 70.2 kWh comes from here: http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4772&p=7677#p7676

The Spark EV battery capacity was a typo, fixed for next rev. It's possible that 18.4 is the usable number and the total capacity is higher.

For Bolt EV Cd, I used the latest I had from a credible source, which as you said was the quote from the chief designer. If it was 0.312 I would have thought he would have said "0.31" to take credit for the rounding. It certainly could be 0.312 but I suspect we'll never know unless GM publishes more specs in the future. When comparing Cd between manufacturers, the variation in test technique and methodology is likely larger than this 0.312 vs 0.32 uncertainty.

Zoomit said:
Thanks for the comments and feedback.

The 70.2 kWh comes from here: http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4772&p=7677#p7676

The Spark EV battery capacity was a typo, fixed for next rev. It's possible that 18.4 is the usable number and the total capacity is higher.
I see no reason to believe that. GM seems to consistently quote battery as nominal capacity like most car makers. I think I've seen a slide from a presentation that listed both the Spark EVs 18.4 kWh capacity and an official lower usable capacity but I can't find it at the moment, assuming my memory is correct and I'm not at all sure about that.

Zoomit - have you updated this spreadsheet recently?

It was very well done 2 years ago - I'd love to see a March 2018 version . :D

How come no Honda Fit EV in the chart?

Edit:
Never mind if they don’t make/sell/lease them anymore.
I just saw one for the first time yesterday.
I thought it was new since it looked brand new.

I just added the Fit EV. (been requested multiple times)

It turns out Honda dealers are currently LEASING USED Fit EVs.

Back