Bolt is "Automotive Masterpiece"

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetondoc

Nice review in Business Insider:
http://www.businessinsider.com/2017-chevy-bolt-review-photos-2017-6

While I'm sure it's a "nice" review, the author could use a basic understanding about charging times.

"The back cable will enable you to plug into "Level 1" charging, which is a wall outlet. GM tells me it could take more than 24 hours to fully recharge the battery this way, but it would be useful for topping off the charge. The Bolt will always default to 120 amperages when charging in this mode, but if you plug into 220-volt appliance power, you can override the default and charge a bit faster."

We assume the Bolt has a 60 kWh (usable capacity) battery. On 120v, the onboard charger accepts a maximum current of 12 amps. 120v @ 12 amps = 1.44 kW. 60 kWh / 1.44 kW = 41.66 hours to fully charge a depleted battery.

https://www.chevyevlife.com/bolt-ev-charging-guide

The Bolt charges "a bit" faster on 240? I'd say ~9 hours on 240 is more than "a bit" faster than 41 hours on 120.

There are indeed automotive masterpieces on the market. A few minutes in the Bolt's driver's seat, and touching the abundant hard plastic interior may have helped the author realize this car isn't one of them. The Bolt is a pretty basic car that happens to be electric. Let's raise the bar higher, and reserve the word "masterpiece" for cars deserving of that title.

When people have their first experience living with an EV - it can be a revelation. And it is the best electric car value, YET.

So, masterpiece is only a little bit too effusive.

NeilBlanchard said:
When people have their first experience living with an EV - it can be a revelation. And it is the best electric car value, YET.

Only a little bit too effusive?

Perhaps one day, EV's will be so common that the novelty of it being electric won't blind us from being objective about the rest of the car.

oilerlord said:
NeilBlanchard said:

Perhaps one day, EV's will be so common that the novelty of it being electric won't blind us from being objective about the rest of the car.

The Bolt EV is the best Chevy / GM car - ever.

So, "masterpiece" is close to the mark.

NeilBlanchard said:
oilerlord said:
NeilBlanchard said:

Wow, that is a bold statement. Have you ever driven a Z06? The complexity of the powertrain makes an EV look like a wind up toy. What specifically makes the Bolt the "best Chevy/GM" ever?

NeilBlanchard said:

Clearly you've never driven the new Z06.

If the Bolt was offered with a 2.0 liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine...would it still be a "masterpiece", or merely a slightly larger Sonic? There are a number of EV's to choose from, all offering (more or less) the same "EV" experience. As I mentioned earlier, I think the fact the Bolt is an EV is blinding you from being objective about the rest of the car.

From all of the "game changer" hype, I expected a lot more from the Bolt but it fell well short of my perception of what a game-changing car has the potential of being. Perhaps marketing departments use phrases like "revolutionary" and "game changing" to often, and we get desensitized. For me, those monikers still mean something, so from my experience with the Bolt - it doesn't measure up to them. Given the Bolt's weak sales, apparently a lot of people feel the same way.

I'm not at all saying the Bolt isn't a decent car, but it certainly isn't a masterpiece.

I love my little Bolt. Its great in traffic, almost always fully fueled, nice field of view, etc. It's also the most fun I've had driving probably ever!! They should feature it in a Transformers film if anyone would want to watch them anymore.

Not a masterpiece though. After I have finished up my planned mods, maybe (doubtful).
BTW, watch out for curbs in this thing. Expensive. :D

Dgodfrey said:
Wow, that is a bold statement. Have you ever driven a Z06? The complexity of the powertrain makes an EV look like a wind up toy. What specifically makes the Bolt the "best Chevy/GM" ever?
Powertrain complexity really doesn't impress me - in fact I think the simplicity of the Bolt's powertrain is one of its huge advantages over ICE vehicles.

oilerlord said:
NeilBlanchard said:

Clearly you've never driven the new Z06.

If the Bolt was offered with a 2.0 liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine...would it still be a "masterpiece", or merely a slightly larger Sonic? There are a number of EV's to choose from, all offering (more or less) the same "EV" experience. As I mentioned earlier, I think the fact the Bolt is an EV is blinding you from being objective about the rest of the car.

From all of the "game changer" hype, I expected a lot more from the Bolt but it fell well short of my perception of what a game-changing car has the potential of being. Perhaps marketing departments use phrases like "revolutionary" and "game changing" to often, and we get desensitized. For me, those monikers still mean something, so from my experience with the Bolt - it doesn't measure up to them. Given the Bolt's weak sales, apparently a lot of people feel the same way.

I'm not at all saying the Bolt isn't a decent car, but it certainly isn't a masterpiece.

Why would I want to drive a Z06 - let alone own one?

An electric drivetrain - is much more than just a drivetrain. It is the key to a livable future. It is MUCH better BECAUSE it is electric.

Drivetrain choice is THE design decision, and making a stupid choice like using an ICE disqualifies a vehicle from all consideration, for me at least.

NeilBlanchard said:
Why would I want to drive a Z06?

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMWJgpmzMgM

NeilBlanchard said:
Drivetrain choice is THE design decision, and making a stupid choice like using an ICE disqualifies a vehicle from all consideration, for me at least.

Perhaps for you, though others may think that limiting the choice down to a single drivetrain could also be considered "stupid". Given that Ford F-series trucks are the number #1 selling vehicles in the US for the the last 35 consecutive years, clearly the majority does care about the design of the rest of the vehicle.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-f-series-f150-truck-sales-record-history-2017-1/#the-2016-f-150-the-68th-iteration-of-the-best-selling-car-in-american-history-1

Perhaps one day an electric F-150 will be available. I'd like to see it happen, as would others. Long live freedom of choice.

Talking of the F-series, on a related topic ...

I was very happy to see plug-in hybrid (PHEV) minivans appear on the scene very recently. The Ford C-Max (a small one) and the Chrysler Pacifica (a big one) are fantastic "gateway drugs" for electric vehicles. The Ford C-Max Energi electric range‎ is pretty damn anemic (‎19 mi), but the Chrysler Pacifica has an electric range of 30 miles. Considering the American total DAILY range is under 40 miles for 85% of the population, and PHEV minivans are fantastic for families who wish to reduce pollution. Owning a PHEV is one of the situations where I would highly recommend having a 240V EVSE at home - run about town in the morning (driving 15-20 miles), get home and plug in and have a full charge in 2 hours, ready to drive another however many miles on full-electric.

Frankly, I had been wondering why automakers had been avoiding a segment that could be very big for them AND allow them to meet anti-pollution mandates. Hybrid Crossovers are now starting to pour into the market (small now, medium ones announced) and I think that the small pickup and/or SUV PHEV market (i.e., not really a workhorse pickup, just one for city slickers who use 40% of it's capabilities maybe 5 times a year) is also one that could be beneficial for automakers. You can sell vehicles to the tree huggers at a more expensive price, AND it allows you to offset the super-profitable gas guzzler sales. And if you are the only manufacturer for the first 2-3 years, you OWN the market and can set higher prices (in whatever small segment you have staked out).

Back