Bolt or Volt?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

I'm perplexed now. I've been waiting since forever to get a Bolt, am ready to lease, and have a good price. In the meantime, I've been driving my wife's Volt.

I took a few test drives in a Bolt and to be totally honest I was a tiny bit disappointed. Compared to the Volt it felt a little econoboxy. The drive showed a bit more torque steer than I expected. All in all, the Bolt felt a little cheap compared to the Volt.

Talk me down guys...I'm actually leaning toward getting another Volt now in place of the Bolt I've been wanting for years. Anyone else have same or different reactions???/

Just wondering if your wife has the new (2017+) or previous generation Volt (2016 or earlier)? I understand the new generation Volt is dramatically improved. Also, I think if you just browse the many threads on this forum, you'll get a really good impression of buyer experiences, good and bad. Maybe you should go to the Volt forum and do the same for cross reference?

But in the end, your own gut feeling is most likely to be right. Nobody knows you like you...

-> edit... I noticed at left your wife has a 2014 Volt (previous generation). If you like her Volt, you definitely owe it to yourself to at least test drive the 2017 before you decide.

I leased the 2013 Volt in September 2013 for 3 years as a prelude to the Bolt EV and now I have the 2017 Bolt EV on 3 year lease since January 3rd.

My Volt was clearly a "car in waiting" as I wanted a pure EV, but did not want 80-100 mile range and did not want to spend Tesla kind of dollars in 2013. I could get the pure EV feel with the 2013 Volt with its 40 mile battery range and even when I did start driving more than 40 miles in a day, it was still an EV just being fed by a battery being charged by a gasoline power generator!

The Volt only sat 4, and I always hit my head getting in and out of the Volt, although it was very comfortable once I was inside with my 6 foot - 1/2" frame.

The Volt cost me $15,000 (down payment plus payments) over 3 years; the Bolt EV will cost me $25,000.

The Bolt EV is exceeding my every expectation!

It easily lets me in and out with plenty of headroom. It seats 5 comfortably. The front dash is completely redesigned with a large LED screen with Apple Carplay.

I easily outperform the 220 mile per charge that EPA suggests including my drive home from Santa Cruz to Hancock Park (Los Angeles) with only one stop for 1.5 hours charging at the DCFC at Delano CA on Hiway-99 where I was about to hit 275 per charge!

I drive it everywhere now, including times that I would normally drive my 2008 Chrysler Sebring hardtop convertible, which sits lonely in my front yard parking space :( for the cost of insurance only! I purchased the 15,000 miles per year lease and am happy to drive all those miles!

I have been shocked at how fast I find myself in the 80s or even 90s on the freeway when I needed to punch it! And now I drive by "radar" when it comes to changing lanes with regard to my blind spots!! The technology is terrific!

What specific problems did you find in your drive of the Bolt EV?

michael said:
I took a few test drives in a Bolt and to be totally honest I was a tiny bit disappointed. Compared to the Volt it felt a little econoboxy. The drive showed a bit more torque steer than I expected. All in all, the Bolt felt a little cheap compared to the Volt.
I personally prefer the form factor of the Bolt - I found the Volt's rear seating and visibility to be unacceptable. If that's not an issue for you, then the only thing the Bolt really has going for it is the extended electric range. You obviously don't need that, so it comes down to a personal decision. You'll have to come up with some idea about how much gas you'd save with a Bolt and then decide if those savings (financial, ecological or both) outweigh the step down in trim level for you.

I bought a Bolt after totalling my Volt. I liked my Volt and would still be driving it, but for the accident, but am pleased with the Bolt. Part of it is this: for three years of driving my Volt, I lugged an ICE and gasoline around which I used 10% of the time: this seems like a silly waste. I had a 50 mile trip to work. Having invested in a 220 charging system at a considerable expense, I wanted to use it, so I wanted another plug in car. I figured the break even point for that system was about the time I had my Volt, so it was paid for.

The Bolt is fun to drive: it has all the oomph when you need it, and corners great. I don't think its exterior looks much different than a lot of cars on the road -- kind of boring -- but it has utility: my bicycle fits in the back and the back seat works for passengers, not like the Volt.

I don't have range issues, because if I drive to San Francisco from LA where I live I take my wife's Avalon. The furthest I have driven my Bolt is 110 miles.

Everyone's need is different and mine is simple. I really don't drive that far per year but
BOY do I like driving electric! I had leased two Volts in the past six years & loved them both.
That said, having over 240 miles of all electric range is FANTASTIC.

The seats fit me perfectly, the design is actually the type of car that I prefer and the driving
experience is all that I could ask for! Very simply, Thank you Chevrolet for producing a car
that has fulfilled my dreams of driving all electric!

MichaelLAX said:
I leased the 2013 Volt in September 2013 for 3 years as a prelude to the Bolt EV and now I have the 2017 Bolt EV on 3 year lease since January 3rd.

My Volt was clearly a "car in waiting" as I wanted a pure EV, but did not want 80-100 mile range and did not want to spend Tesla kind of dollars in 2013. I could get the pure EV feel with the 2013 Volt with its 40 mile battery range and even when I did start driving more than 40 miles in a day, it was still an EV just being fed by a battery being charged by a gasoline power generator!

The Volt only sat 4, and I always hit my head getting in and out of the Volt, although it was very comfortable once I was inside with my 6 foot - 1/2" frame.

The Volt cost me $15,000 (down payment plus payments) over 3 years; the Bolt EV will cost me $25,000.

The Bolt EV is exceeding my every expectation!

It easily lets me in and out with plenty of headroom. It seats 5 comfortably. The front dash is completely redesigned with a large LED screen with Apple Carplay.

I easily outperform the 220 mile per charge that EPA suggests including my drive home from Santa Cruz to Hancock Park (Los Angeles) with only one stop for 1.5 hours charging at the DCFC at Delano CA on Hiway-99 where I was about to hit 275 per charge!

I drive it everywhere now, including times that I would normally drive my 2008 Chrysler Sebring hardtop convertible, which sits lonely in my front yard parking space :( for the cost of insurance only! I purchased the 15,000 miles per year lease and am happy to drive all those miles!

I have been shocked at how fast I find myself in the 80s or even 90s on the freeway when I needed to punch it! And now I drive by "radar" when it comes to changing lanes with regard to my blind spots!! The technology is terrific!

What specific problems did you find in your drive of the Bolt EV?

I found the car to have a bit of torque steer, and it seemed "light" compared to the Volt. And the Volt I'm currently driving, by the way is a 2017...my signature is out of date, the 2014s have been returned.

Volt seats more comfy than Bolt, although I'm not seeing the kind of "deal killer" problems some have reported.

To me, a well equipped Volt is pretty much a luxury car. Even the fully equipped Bolt seems a lot cheaper.

The price differential is not all that much....$100 per month Bolt vs Volt, but the additional $1K in state money trims that to $70.

My thinking is shifting back to Bolt...I think if I don't go that way, I regret it for three years. But still thinking. I have til Sunday.

I much more enjoy fast driving curvy canyon roads in the Bolt EV than in the Volt, as the Bolt EV has much more regeneration in the "L" mode than the Volt, which is what I always drive in.

I am a happy "one foot" driver now (I almost NEVER use the brake) and easing off the accelerator into the curves and speeding up out of the curves, I find the Bolt EV has much more traction to the road than the Volt.

I attribute this also to the fact that the low center of gravity due to the whole floor is a layer of batteries instead of the row of batteries down the middle in the Volt!

To me the choice is clear: Bolt EV clearly over the Volt, which was a transitional car for me!

NOTE: I live in California with a well built out DCFC infrastructure and more every day! If I lived elsewhere and driving inter-city was an important need, the Volt has that gasoline generator!

I also like the fold down armrest cupholders for my backseat riders; does the 2017 Volt have that?

The backseat USB power ports?

The backseat seat warmers?

A real 3rd backseat?

Plenty of leg room for the rider behind me: 6' 1/2".

For me, the Bolt wins because of the following (specific to my driving patterns):

a. My daily drives are commonly 50-70 miles, with occasional longer ones, but only about 1% of drives need recharging on the way. So a few days of typical driving would fit within one charge of the Bolt, but a Volt will need to dip into the gasoline most of the time.
b. The Bolt's tall small wagon shape is much more useful inside than the Volt's low slung fastback hatchback shape, while having a smaller footprint on the outside. The almost SUV-like seating height without the tippy feeling common in SUVs is also a good thing (oddly, some of the reviews indicate that the Volt's sporty look comes with less sporty handling).
c. While the Bolt's roof rack provisioning is not ideal (for carrying a boat), the Volt is worse in this respect.
d. Since the Bolt has no ICE, there is no ICE-related maintenance.
e. I was able to have installed a 30A EVSE on a 40A 240V line in the garage, which is needed to get reasonable charging speed to fill a Bolt battery overnight.

I can see why some people may choose the Volt, though:

a. Some people have different driving patterns that may be better suited for the Volt's combination of EV range and ICE extension.
b. Some people prefer the Volt's styling and have less need for the Bolt's interior flexibility.
c. Some people may not have good charging provisions at home, so they may depend on charging at work or elsewhere, or slower charging at home. This may be more commonly an issue for those living in rental housing. With slower home charging or reliance on charging away from home, someone may find more of a need for ICE backup/extension.
d. The Volt is somewhat less expensive.

Indeed, the increase in sales of the Volt after the Bolt became available may mean that the Bolt is functioning as a "halo car" to bring people into the Chevrolet store, after which they buy and drive off in a Volt, dipping one toe into EV driving without having to go all-in.

michael said:
I'm perplexed now.

Talk me down guys...I'm actually leaning toward getting another Volt now in place of the Bolt I've been wanting for years. Anyone else have same or different reactions???/

Everyone can offer their $0.02 but yours is the only opinion that matters (even if I tend to agree with it). After months of research, I was absolutely sure I was going to buy a Gen 1 Volt - until I sat in one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not saying it was a bad car - it just wasn't for us. (At least to me) there is more to a car than a sum total of it's specifications.

I may be driving both a Bolt (exactly one in stock in Albany, New York's capital) and a Volt (lots of those available) later today. I say "may" because the dealership has terrible online communication, and because the one in stock is an LT and I'd like to drive a Premiere.

{{ Split off NAV posts from this (original) thread into a new thread in this forum. This thread down to 2 pages, from the 5 it was before the split. Further NAV posts to this thread will simply be deleted. }}

SparkE said:
{{ ...Further NAV posts to this thread will simply be deleted. }}
If you read the thread you would realize that today is his deadline and hence ALL further posts are superfluous!

OK, so for what it's worth....

I rented a Bolt (premier) for 10 hours, drove it about 150 miles around town, on the freeways, etc.

The car performed fine, however I have decided against it (and therefore for a Volt) because it simply did not feel as comfortable to me as does a Volt.

The seats, much to my surprise, actually were an issue. This was an early production car (11/16) and the seats were collapsed against the plastic on the side toward the rear. In addition, I felt pressure on the undersides of my thighs from the front of the seat. I say "to my surprise" because I had not noticed any issue while simply sitting in the car or on short dealer test drives...they seemed fine.

The seat issues were not deal killers, however. I have the impression new production is improved, and the problem was largely resolved by putting a folded towel under the center area of the seat, imitating the solution that has been posted here.

The deal killer was the feeling that this car was a little on the small side for me, a little basic (econoboxy) for my taste, and more oriented toward tech than luxury. I spend perhaps 2 hours a day in my car, and I don't want to have a car that requires me to overlook shortcomings (for me) in comfort.

At the end of the rental, I got back in my wife's 2017 Volt, and I felt "at home", very comfortable.

So for me, the Volt is:

Less expensive
More comfortable and luxurious
Provides enough all electric range to meet almost all my daily needs.

And for those who are concerned with the Bolts lack of a nationwide supercharger like charging system, I can tell you as a fact that if I did own both a Bolt and a Volt, I would always take the Volt on a long trip from the standpoint of comfort alone, never mind the charging situation.

I know other people will have different opinions, but this is mine after a long and thorough test drive. I was so in love with the idea of a Bolt that I almost bought one based on short test drives a dealers. I was literally planning to go to the dealer yesterday morning and sign the papers but decided instead to try the rental. This afternoon rental saved me a lot of future dissatisfaction and I would urge anyone contemplating buying a Bolt to do the same, make sure it works well for you.

michael said:
The deal killer was the feeling that this car was a little on the small side for me, a little basic (econoboxy) for my taste, and more oriented toward tech than luxury. I spend perhaps 2 hours a day in my car, and I don't want to have a car that requires me to overlook shortcomings (for me) in comfort.

I agree with all of this, but I can't think of a missing luxury feature that I really care much about. What specific shortcomings (aside from the seat padding) made up your mind? Just curious.

Good luck with the Volt, drive it in good health.

It was on GM's Maven car sharing service. Like zipcar. The thing was sitting in a parking lot, all charged up and ready to go. I unlocked the doors using my iPhone, jumped in and drove off

Upon my return I parked it, pluggged in the charger and walked away.

phil0909 said:
michael said:

I agree with all of this, but I can't think of a missing luxury feature that I really care much about. What specific shortcomings (aside from the seat padding) made up your mind? Just curious.

Good luck with the Volt, drive it in good health.

That's a really good question.

In terms of features, very little is missing. I would have preferred a fully adjustable seat, but that's missing in the Volt as well.

The Gen 1 Volt had a very confusing control panel (infotainment, nav, etc) which in Gen 2 was vastly improved. I found Bolt's to be a bit complex, probably an effort to be a bit Tesla-like.

I think, for me, it came down to a feeling of smallness, tightness. I felt like I was in budget class on an airplane. While Bolt has wonderful headroom, it seems narrow. The seats themselves, and also the cupholder poking my leg. The passenger seemed closer to me than I would have preferred. The interior color scheme is lighter...I like the dark interior of Volt. Ride was harsher but I didn't find the handling any better than Volt, just easier to chatter the front tires.

I had a Focus Electric previously, and while the car had some limitations (range, primarily, tiny back seats, and limited storage) I found the comfort level to be outstanding. It felt spacious (in the front!!!!), had a very comfortable six-way power seat, and the base model was fully loaded...literally the only option was leather seats, everything else was included. While the Focus is widely condemned as a "compliance car", it had the advantage of feeling inside like a very well selling conventional car that had been fully equipped and then as a bonus had received electric drive.

I loved getting in the Focus. I love getting in the Volt. I didn't feel that way about the Bolt. I know...subjective...my opinion and impression only. Some may feel the same, others will surely feel differently.

Michael, your experience with the Bolt sums up my thoughts on the car too. It's interesting how my B250e "feels" so much larger and luxurious inside than the Bolt, even though the interior dimensions and features are about the same. Some people are willing to compromise comfort. Like you, I'm not going to do that; especially since I plan to be driving this car for a long time.

I loved the Focus Electric too, and was ready to buy until I saw (in person) just how much cargo space was compromised by the big battery. That alone was the deal breaker for us. Luxury wise however, the Focus with leather trim is certainly as upscale as the one in my Mercedes. Had Ford engineered a hidden battery under the floor, there is no question I would have been driving an FFE. At ~$12,000, a low mileage, fully loaded FFE is a fantastic deal, with a compelling ROI.

Back