Bolt or Volt?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
michael said:
That's a really good question.

In terms of features, very little is missing. I would have preferred a fully adjustable seat, but that's missing in the Volt as well.

The Gen 1 Volt had a very confusing control panel (infotainment, nav, etc) which in Gen 2 was vastly improved. I found Bolt's to be a bit complex, probably an effort to be a bit Tesla-like.

I think, for me, it came down to a feeling of smallness, tightness. I felt like I was in budget class on an airplane. While Bolt has wonderful headroom, it seems narrow.

Thanks Michael. I totally see where you're coming from, and once again I agree with pretty much all your observations. It's just that of all these little compromises, none of them happens to bother me particularly. That will obviously vary from person to person.

Yes, the controls could be much more intuitive. Still, I quickly figured out the basics and find it workable. The infotainment is also buggy and unstable. Maybe that'll get fixed, maybe not.

It does feel narrow, doesn't it? My old Lexus is only 2.5 inches wider than the Bolt, but it feels a foot wider inside. I don't know why. I'm large, or perhaps just medium-large, and my wife and son are small, so the width is still adequate for me.

One early review actually mentioned that the Bolt cabin feels like coach seating on a brand new airliner. I can't argue with that either, I i think it's a very good description. But I find it comfortable. The seat padding is adequate and gives me no trouble. I have not noticed any cupholder poking.

I also prefer a darker interior, but the Bolt is dark enough, unless you are unlucky enough to have gotten the lighter-colored interior, which I almost did myself.

Ride is a bit stiff, handling could be better. I've gotten used to it, though my passengers still miss the Lexus ride quality.

I wouldn't mind 8-way adjustable power seats, power hatch, lighted passenger vanity mirror, a bit more cargo capacity, etc. but really don't miss this stuff. At least, not too much. I can't say that I 'love' getting into the Bolt, but I like it fine and I do love the peppy electric drive, the long range, and the small footprint of the car. When someone makes a car with fewer compromises, I may well switch, but for now I'm happy with the Bolt. Lucky, I guess.

michael said:
The deal killer was the feeling that this car was a little on the small side for me, a little basic (econoboxy) for my taste, and more oriented toward tech than luxury.

phil0909 said:
powersurge said:
Why argue about such a simple term.

Because it is wrong. Erroneous usage of a simple term is even more egregious than misusing a complex or difficult word. The Bolt is neither economical nor boxy. It is therefore NOT an econobox.

I wish I could let you slide on this one, I really do. But where would it end? Next thing you know, people would be saying things like "I could care less" and "That baserunner was literally out by a mile." Nobody wants to live in a world like that.

Phil, just curious...since you jumped on me (and others) for referring to the Bolt as an "econobox", are you really going to let Michael get away with calling the car "econoboxy"?

oilerlord said:
michael said:
The deal killer was the feeling that this car was a little on the small side for me, a little basic (econoboxy) for my taste, and more oriented toward tech than luxury.

Phil, just curious...since you jumped on me for referring to the Bolt as an "econobox", are you really going to let Michael get away with calling the car "econoboxy"?

:D Yes, I really should enforce the rules of the language in a more consistent and impartial manner, shouldn't I? Perhaps we can agree that the Bolt resembles an econobox (i.e. it is "econoboxy") with respect to interior finishes and features. But I still have to draw the line at flat-out calling Bolt an econobox.

I know I'm fighting a losing battle, but I'm not giving up on our language just yet!

There is a "cities" tab on the top. Sadly all in USA, but luckily for me Los Angeles is one of them

michael said:
There is a "cities" tab on the top. Sadly all in USA, but luckily for me Los Angeles is one of them
Well duh, so there is, thanks!

I was hoping they might have set up shop in Seattle or Portland, I could justify driving that far for a prolonged test drive. But the closest to me looks to be San Franciso, and that's a bit farther than I'm willing to go just for a test drive.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and wait for the supply of Bolts to pick up here in Canada, even if it does take until next year...

SeanNelson said:
michael said:
Well duh, so there is, thanks!

I was hoping they might have set up shop in Seattle or Portland, I could justify driving that far for a prolonged test drive. But the closest to me looks to be San Franciso, and that's a bit farther than I'm willing to go just for a test drive.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and wait for the supply of Bolts to pick up here in Canada, even if it does take until next year...

Look at the bright side - most of the bugs should be worked out by the time you can buy one! And increased competition (Tesla model 3, gen2 LEAF, maybe Ioniq EV w/ larger battery) should mean better prices!

michael said:
OK, so for what it's worth....
Did you have them remove the internal Nav, since others here have expressed for you, your opinion that is is not accessory-worthy! hahahaha :lol:

Well I have a 2013 Volt and 3000 miles on a Bolt. Love them both. BUT the Bolt isa hoot to drive. Haven't had torque steer since my original Mini Cooper. Fun again. Miles per charge in the country, all on 2 lane roads is very impressive. Averaging 5.0 miles/kWh(300 miles) now the temperatures are up to 70'F. When temperature was around 50'F, only got 255 miles/charge!
At night on dark highways with steep hills, you actually fail to notice the incline there is so much quiet power available. Pretty different cars for sure. Actually like the visibility, night lighting and ease of entry in the BOLT. It impresses friends unlike the Volt. Each to his own tastes however. I bought mine sight unseen based on early car magazine reviews. Not at all sorry.

VoltBolt said:
Well I have a 2013 Volt and 3000 miles on a Bolt. Love them both. BUT the Bolt isa hoot to drive. Haven't had torque steer since my original Mini Cooper. Fun again. Miles per charge in the country, all on 2 lane roads is very impressive. Averaging 5.0 miles/kWh(300 miles) now the temperatures are up to 70'F. When temperature was around 50'F, only got 255 miles/charge!

If you're hypermiling the car to 5.0 miles / kWh (300 miles) - there isn't a lot of "hoot" left over. Perhaps you're not noticing any torque steer because you're driving the car like grandpa.

I confused you with my grammar! I meant you to understand the car does have torque steer if you push it. And yes, I seldom exceed the speed limit my much. If you do not exceed 57 mph on a 55 mph highway, are you being a grandpa?

oilerlord said:
VoltBolt said:

If you're hypermiling the car to 5.0 miles / kWh (300 miles) - there isn't a lot of "hoot" left over. Perhaps you're not noticing any torque steer because you're driving the car like grandpa.

I routinely get ~6mi/kWh in my SparkEV - because a large number of my driving miles are at under 55mph, on expressways and 40 mph blvds with timed traffic lights (generally green, after you have to stop at your first red). It's not because I drive like a granpa, it's because where I drive has lower speed limits.

Or the country roads are those which are a hoot to drive at an electricity-efficient 50mph in a Bolt while other cars need to slow down to 40mph to go around the curves.

{{ OK, I just removed a series of 'sniping' posts which had nothing to do with the topic at hand, and were rather un-neighborly. C'mon guys, I shouldn't have to do this. BEHAVE. I expect posters to NOT act as if they are 12, and "Hey, HE started it!! is not a valid excuse, IMHO. My dad always said "It takes two to argue". }}

Warnings will be issued.

{{ PS : "I was simply replying to/defending myself" is pretty much the same thing as "HE started it!!!" }}

Crap. Lesson to self : do the "warning" before deleting post, even if you are trying to put out a blossoming fire. It is a HECK of a lot easier finding the login and issuing the warning from the post itself. Grrrrr.

SeanNelson said:
michael said:
I took a few test drives in a Bolt and to be totally honest I was a tiny bit disappointed. Compared to the Volt it felt a little econoboxy. The drive showed a bit more torque steer than I expected. All in all, the Bolt felt a little cheap compared to the Volt.
I personally prefer the form factor of the Bolt - I found the Volt's rear seating and visibility to be unacceptable. If that's not an issue for you, then the only thing the Bolt really has going for it is the extended electric range. You obviously don't need that, so it comes down to a personal decision. You'll have to come up with some idea about how much gas you'd save with a Bolt and then decide if those savings (financial, ecological or both) outweigh the step down in trim level for you.

That's exactly how I feel. The Gen 2 Volt looks sexy, drives well, and eliminates range anxiety completely...and the leases are (sporadically) attractive...but you can't see out of it and can't put adults in the back of it. No bueno.

But I'm not the only decision-maker. My wife barely tolerates my potato-shaped Ford C-Max Hybrid---for her, its dorky exterior is redeemed by its expansive interior, with elbow room, comfy seats and quality materials. But the Bolt combines the same dorky outside with a narrow cabin with narrower seats and hard materials. For her, it's a downgrade she's not willing to make. "I like the Volt," she says, "but not the Bolt."

The rap on the Volt is that GM made it one size and class too small: in a world of Fusion Energis, it's too expensive for a fancy Cruze but would have killed as a sort of high-tech Malibu. I think armchair quarterbacks will make the same assessment with the Bolt: it's too expensive for a fancy Sonic but would have killed as a sort of high-tech Cruze. That is: the Bolt would work better in the market as a premium compact. Sit in a Bolt and then an eGolf: the VW "feels" worth the price even though it's inferior to the Bolt in almost every way.

I love that you can order the LT model of the Volt with a light-colored leather interior and Bose stereo -- no pricey upgrade to Premier required. But you can't get the LT with the thing every Volt 2.0 desperately needs: blind spot detection.

HotPotato said:
I love that you can order the LT model of the Volt with a light-colored leather interior and Bose stereo -- no pricey upgrade to Premier required. But you can't get the LT with the thing every Volt 2.0 desperately needs: blind spot detection.

If the car's mirrors are reasonably adjustable, try adjusting them outward to minimize blind sports as described in http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots .

cleanup-blindspots-photo-519796-s-original.jpg

That should help reduce the risk of merging into someone while changing lanes. However, limited rear visibility can still be a hassle when driving in reverse while parking, if the car does not have camera parking aids.

Back