Bolt platform choice too small - agree or not?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robot

My only problem so far with the Bolt EV is their platform choice. I wish they had used a slightly larger platform for more cargo space, and room for fold-flat rear seats. Of course then you have more weight, but I would think they could have lengthened the platform without affecting CoD and overall weight enough to matter?

Then I guess you end up with a long goofy car... and I guess the Model 3 will fill the gap nicely for those that decide the Bolt is a little small.... I sure can't wait for the day when I can compare these 2 side by side in person, but that could be years off still!

Disagree :)
I am looking for a small footprint vehicle for downtown parking - even a Model 3 could be too large for easily maneuvering in a downtown core for my liking!

I agree. I am interested in getting something more reliable than my Toyota RAV4EV (2013 - Tesla parts issues), but the Bolt will be too small. I suspect that BMW may have something electric a bit bigger in a couple years, maybe Chevy and VW too.

Comparison of Model 3 to Bolt doens't make much sense. When the Bolt become available, it will be in a class of its own, It will be several years before the Model 3 becomes available and is an actual choice.

In my mind the unknown is when a 200 mile class Leaf might become available.

I like the footprint, I just wish it wasn't so tall! Tall always translates to goofy looks and softer turns. I'd much prefer something along the lines of a Mazda 3 wagon.

As far as appealing to the wider market, though, I agree. If they had made the Bolt a little longer and wider, it would have a much larger potential market.

And there's the rub - what I want is different from what the market wants. And as far as EVs go, what is actually offered is something else entirely.

To each their own? It is only a bit larger than the Honda Fit, which is a great package, in my opinion. Compact and nimble, but with lots of room for me and my tall family. It only lacks the rear "Magic Seat", but there is always a compromise. About 15-20% of the battery cells are under the rear seat, and we need the range.

NeilBlanchard said:
To each their own?

That's the problem. There aren't enough options on the market for each to have access to their own.

The Bolt will be too large for some, too small for many more, and not *something* enough for someone else. It will have a market, but GM should also be working on larger EVs with more utility. And smaller EVs in a sportier package. And, and... and now I'm asking for the world, I know.

I think GM picked a reasonable target for the Bolt. They are aiming at car sharing crowds, particularly in large cities. The small footprint on the Bolt is great for tight places in busy cities. The upright seating is comfortable for 4-5 adults who are looking for a ride across town. It wasn't really designed for a family of 5 to jump in and drive out of state with luggage for a week's vacation.

NeilBlanchard said:
To each their own? It is only a bit larger than the Honda Fit, which is a great package, in my opinion. Compact and nimble, but with lots of room for me and my tall family. It only lacks the rear "Magic Seat", but there is always a compromise. About 15-20% of the battery cells are under the rear seat, and we need the range.
The Fit EV lost the "Magic Seat" to make room for the battery. You have to put them somewhere. They raised the car 1.5" (look closely at photos and you'll see the extra trim along the rockers and around the wheel wells. The rear seats also moved up a bit and 3" to the rear. As a side benefit, the had to ditch the torsion beam rear suspension and fit a multi-link setup.

2013_Honda_FIT_EV_HV_Battery_Extrication.jpg

Right about the Fit EV - it also grew in height, if I am not mistaken. The Bolt EV also has a taller battery under the rear seat, so a "magic" seat is not possible.

To answer your question, I would have preferred a Volt-sized car, or even a Focus sized car. I think the Bolt is a little smaller. However it looks plenty good, and for now is in a class of its own. I want one.

Interior volume is a poor metric; it simply doesn't tell the right story. A car can have a small footprint but upright stance (e.g. Bolt) and have more interior volume than a car that is wide but lower (e.g. Model S). Unless you're claustrophobic or over 7' tall, that extra headroom adds zero utility to the car. On the other hand, a car that is wider and longer will have more hip room and leg room in the back seat.

I hit my head in the back seat of the Model S - I am 6'-4". It could use some "extra" headroom.

The car with the most actual legroom and headroom that I know of - is the BMW i3. It is very roomy for 4 people.

If interior volume is not a useful measure - what is? The outside length and width? If so, why do you want a "bigger" car?

Frankly, that is surprising to me. I know that people taller than 6'4" have fit comfortably in the back on the Model S. Then again, everyone is built differently. Does your head hit while sitting, or just while entering/leaving the car?

Interior volume alone is a poor metric because many cars today with a large volume are simply very tall. And that adds no real utility. It is easier to pack cargo in a large surface than in a tall space. And ride comfort is driven more by having room between passengers' hips than by having either 3" or 6" of clearance above their heads.

I assume your question is aimed at someone other than me, though. I don't want a bigger car. I want a car that is low to the road (better driving dynamics), and is efficient on the highway (low CdA - which is helped by a lower A, of course).

Chevy Volt:

Headroom (in / mm): 37.8 / 961 (front) 35.8 / 909 (rear)

Shoulder room (in / mm): 56.5 / 1434 (front) 53.2 / 1351 (rear)

Hip room (in / mm): 53.7 / 1365 (front) 51.3 / 1304 (rear)

Legroom (in / mm): 42.1 / 1068 (front) 34.7 / 882 (rear)

Cargo volume (cu ft / L): 10.6 / 301

Chevy Bolt EV:

Headroom (in. / mm): 39.7 / 1009 1st row 37.9 / 962 2nd row

Shoulder room (in / mm): 54.6 / 1387 1st row 52.8 / 1340 2nd row

Hip room (in / mm): 51.6 / 1310 1st row 50.8 / 290 2nd row

Legroom (in / mm): 41.6 / 1056 1st row 36.5 / 927 2nd row

Cargo volume (cu ft / L): 16.9 cu-ft / 478 L

With a height adjustable seat, headroom becomes legroom. When there is a large center console (as in the Volt) there is no room to let your knee move, so this is very uncomfortable for some people. Especially tall people. The Bolt EV doesn't have a large center console, and so it doesn't have that constricting "tunnel".

I barely even fit into the back seat of the new Volt. It would work for short rides, but there is no way I would want to take a long trip back there.

The OP was wanting a bigger car.

I thought we were comparing Bolt to Model S, not Volt. I'm a little confused.

I re-read the OP, and he specifically mentioned that he wanted more cargo area. Interior volume and cargo area are two different things; typically the former refers to the passenger area and the latter to the area behind the rear seat.

Most people seem to be more comfortable packing into a horizontal space rather than a vertical space. For example, my CMax Energi has more cargo volume than a Volt. However, the volume is more vertical whereas the Volt's volume is more horizontal. Many of my friends/coworkers prefer the Volt's trunk to the CMax's.

And the bottom line is, what will sell best? Looking around the roads, the vast majority of cars are considerably larger than whatever I tend to be driving. Clearly the typical American thinks that a Bolt-sized car is too small.

I have to disagree. I don't think the platform choice of Chevy Bolt is too small. The space looks sufficient to me.

Back