Bolt platform choice too small - agree or not?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
I like the footprint, I just wish it wasn't so tall! Tall always translates to goofy looks and softer turns. I'd much prefer something along the lines of a Mazda 3 wagon.

As far as appealing to the wider market, though, I agree. If they had made the Bolt a little longer and wider, it would have a much larger potential market.

And there's the rub - what I want is different from what the market wants. And as far as EVs go, what is actually offered is something else entirely.

The LEAF is quite tall for its size. It's taller than an Altima for instance.

The downside to tall and small is that it catches winds more, not only is that a disadvantage for handling, it reduces efficiency/range on windy days.

The upside is a taller car is easier to get in and out of. The Model S is a snug fit entering and exiting the door for me and I'm not big. The LEAF is much easier to get in and out of. With a dicky right knee I might prefer the Bolt's tallness to a TEsla that hugs the road.

JPWhite said:
The LEAF is quite tall for its size. It's taller than an Altima for instance.

The downside to tall and small is that it catches winds more, not only is that a disadvantage for handling, it reduces efficiency/range on windy days.

It sure is. That is one of the things that bothers me the most about the car. And the efficiency hit isn't just on windy days, it's at high speeds (which I guess is somewhat the same - you are just creating your own "apparent wind").

JPWhite said:
The upside is a taller car is easier to get in and out of. The Model S is a snug fit entering and exiting the door for me and I'm not big. The LEAF is much easier to get in and out of. With a dicky right knee I might prefer the Bolt's tallness to a TEsla that hugs the road.

This is true. And sadly, as I get older, gets more important. Another benefit to a tall car is helping kids in the backseat. My kids are now old enough to buckle themselves, but a few years ago I was putting them into their carseats and buckling them myself. It was much easier to do it the (relatively) tall Leaf than in the short Insight (my other car at the time).

Once into the car, though, I will alway prefer to be closer to the pavement rather than feeling like I'm driving from a bar stool.

GetOffYourGas said:
Once into the car, though, I will alway prefer to be closer to the pavement rather than feeling like I'm driving from a bar stool.

I don't know what the suspension system will be in the Model III, if it is air suspension in theory the car could be set on high for passenger embarking/disembarking and lower during driving.

The Bolt I'm sure will be a traditional suspension system. What you see is what you get.

JPWhite said:
I don't know what the suspension system will be in the Model III, if it is air suspension in theory the car could be set on high for passenger embarking/disembarking and lower during driving.

The Bolt I'm sure will be a traditional suspension system. What you see is what you get.
So will the Model 3. If it has an air suspension option (it's $2,500 on the S/X), it will likely be similar and raise the car 1.25" on the "very high" setting. Might or might not be enough be enough to make a difference. Plus it is a "smart" system and Tesla owners have had some difficulties overriding what the car thought the ride height should be in a given circumstance.

No folding seats for the Chevy Bolt that's a disappointment I thought the seats folded

The seats fold forward, in the traditional manner. I think what you misinterpreted was regarding the Fit's "Magic" seats. In these seats, the bottom folds up (vertical), leaving a huge space for stuff. You can literally roll a bicycle into a Fit without removing the front wheel (I've seen it done). The "magic seats" are not available on the Fit EV due to the battery location.

robot said:
My only problem so far with the Bolt EV is their platform choice. I wish they had used a slightly larger platform for more cargo space, and room for fold-flat rear seats.
My understanding is that the moveable floor partition for the rear cargo area can be positioned to create a flat loading floor with the rear seats down.

The form factor of the Bolt is exactly what I'm looking for - small on the outside and big on the inside. I like the shorter hatchback compared to the long sloping liftback of the Volt, and I also really appreciate the tighter turning radius that the car's short wheelbase makes possible. It's not as tight as my Prius C, but it's close.

My "vote" is for too small.

I currently own a Volt. It's good for use around town, a commuter car. I am looking for something a full segment larger, like an Equinox (our other vehicle).

While the Bolt is going to be "quite roomy" for people, it's cargo capacity behind the rear seats is nothing to brag about. It's less than a Trax or Encore, far less than Equinox, Rav4, CR-V, so its not a good family vehicle to take on vacation, even if that vacation is only a few hundred miles away.

Everyone has different needs of course, but that's my vote.

There's a very big gap in size between Volt/Bolt and the new Pacific plug-in (unless you can afford the Model X or XC90 T8 - though the T8 has limited range). I hope someone plugs that gap soon with something affordable.

Difficult to imagine driving a Bolt on a vacation trip. Best use case for this car is it ending every day in your own garage. Probably that's why it isn't trying to be a SUV.

My strong preference is for smaller cars, and my family has vacationed in smaller cars than the Bolt EV - much smaller. We camped for 2 weeks driving only a Focus wagon with a 16.5 cu ft roof pod. That is tent camping, with cooking gear, and all the trimmings.

The Bolt EV is larger interior volume than a Tesla Model S! And driving a car as big as a Model S every day would not be an easy thing, in my opinion.

If the Bolt EV was bigger, it would either have (much?) less range, and/or it would cost more, because it would need a larger pack.

I visited a dealership recently, and just chatting with the salesperson, he was surprised I wanted a smaller vehicle, especially with the masses of SUV's and Pick-ups around here. But, as a report said recently, Americans tend to buy cars for the most extreme situation (the occasional long trip, of the huge load. They don't often consider daily use. I am average size, and in the last 3 years, I have had more than 2 people in the car exactly twice. Thus, in even a normal sedan, I am carrying excess seats and space I almost never use.
As a baby-boomer, most car makers seem to be missing the large population with disposable income. My past few cars, and my current Leaf are better sized for how I actually use the car.

It was interesting reading everyone's comment it really is about personal preference. The Chevy Volt should come in three sizes tiny small and medium LOL

Back