Bolts are in Transit

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Portland area:

Wentworth Chevrolet: 9 in transit.
Carr Beaverton: 1 in transit.

The other dealerships in the Portland area don't show any inventory.

In Southern California:

Rydell Northridge: 16 in transit.
Simi Valley Chevrolet: 0
Silver Star Thousand Oaks: 1 in transit
Keyes Van Nuys: 6 in transit
Auto Nation Valencia: 0
Community Burbank: 0
Gwynn Glendale: 0
Bunin Santa Barbara: 3 in transit

All the other smaller store I checked, nothing.

In Oregon, Willsonvillie Chevrolet is showing 4 Bolts in transit. Bruce Chevrolet is showing 1 in transit.

marshallinwa said:
In Oregon, Willsonvillie Chevrolet is showing 4 Bolts in transit. Bruce Chevrolet is showing 1 in transit.

I must have missed those, thanks. It's difficult to detect a pattern here, except that it seems like the smaller dealerships aren't getting many if any in the early shipments. Somebody should check the Bay Area dealers.

Delillo Chevy in Huntington Beach is showing two in transit, and the first one is mine(the vin's match). Both black premier's....

The Salem, Oregon dealer told the local paper, that they expect to get some Bolts in mid December. So far they haven't listed any in their inventory.

I don't think it makes any sense for a small dealer to stock any more then one or two Bolts, since their bread and butter are trucks and medium to large SUVs. For some of the small dealers, stocking none is the right decision for now.

marshallinwa said:
The Salem, Oregon dealer told the local paper, that they expect to get some Bolts in mid December. So far they haven't listed any in their inventory.

I don't think it makes any sense for a small dealer to stock any more then one or two Bolts, since their bread and butter are trucks and medium to large SUVs. For some of the small dealers, stocking none is the right decision for now.

I am not sure about that. If they do not ever plan to sell the Bolt, then it definitely is not worth the equipment/training cost required to get Bolts on their lot, but if they do hope to sell the Bolt, early training/infrastructure would be good.

As long as they are not totally out of the way and inaccessible, there is a chance to sell them to purchasers who would not typically visit their location.

In the Bay Area(not typical I understand) one of the dealers in the East Bay is selling most of their initial Bolt inventory over the phone, since they were one of the last dealers to have Early December Allotments which were not yet spoken for.

I am sure that it will even out after the initial rush, but if you have the chance to get an early one, I doubt it will be sitting on the showroom floor long.

marshallinwa said:

I was told by my quite small local dealership that their initial allocation of Bolts was four. I believe that number might have increased by a couple more cars based on a followup conversation with the dealership, but I don't recall the details. I know at least two of those allocated cars are built, my order and the one before it (a week earlier). So I think the smaller stores that are showing no inventory in transit might very have their entire allocations bayed awaiting shipment. They are being held back for reasons known only to GM.

Willsonville in Portland is no longer showing their Bolts with the in transit tag. They now have the price listed, but no window sticker yet.

Casting around the dealerships in the LA and Bay areas I found some dealerships with as many as 30+ in transit but maybe a grand total of four actually for sale. The initial shipment must have been really small.

The dealership I ordered mine from (Wentworth in PDX) shows several "in transit" and has for like 5 days.
They have not answered my emails.
I don't expect much from them.
The only thing they emailed me 2 weeks ago was that they would "be shocked" if the car wasn't in before Christmas.
Shocked?
That and a quarter gets me on the subway as they say....

The dealership I ordered mine from (Wentworth in PDX) shows several "in transit" and has for like 5 days.
They have not answered my emails.
I don't expect much from them.

Is you VIN included in any of them that they have listed in transit?

I gave up on Wentworth Chevy in Portland! Very uncooperative and using the popularity of the Bolt to act like I was lucky they would even return my emails or calls regarding the "big inventory" they had committed to them, based on their prior sales of Volts. They even told me that they would only sell to local residents. My deposit for a "build order" did get returned though, so that was not an issue. Good luck with Wentworth!!!

pdxbolt said:

Or as they say now, that and $4 gets you a Grande Latte at Starbucks.

I don't understand why Chevy is so parsimonious with information. They are basically telling preorder customers to talk to the hand. All we want is a rough idea of when to expect our cars. What is this, a trade secret or something?

I'm not sure the dealerships are in a much better position to know.

roundpeg said:
pdxbolt said:

Or as they say now, that and $4 gets you a Grande Latte at Starbucks.

I don't understand why Chevy is so parsimonious with information. They are basically telling preorder customers to talk to the hand. All we want is a rough idea of when to expect our cars. What is this, a trade secret or something?

I'm not sure the dealerships are in a much better position to know.
Once they are on a rail car, it is out of their hands. Weather and other factors play a big part in transit times. We've all gotten spoiled by being able to track a package from shipment to delivery. Railroads are a whole different ball game.

There is a rail car tracking system, that the dealerships and Chevy have access to, they are just not sharing that information with us.

DucRider said:
Once they are on a rail car, it is out of their hands. Weather and other factors play a big part in transit times. We've all gotten spoiled by being able to track a package from shipment to delivery. Railroads are a whole different ball game.

The railroads can and do track rail cars with at least as much precision as UPS and Fedex tracks packages. Weather is no greater factor for the railroads than it is for the other shippers. It's all just a matter how much information they choose to share.

My dealership called this AM to tell me that my car is currently on a rail car in Indiana. It should get to the distribution center in California before Christmas.

Back