Camera rear view mirror

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DucRider said:
Easy to adapt (and a big step forward).

You can always switch back to the physical mirror with a toggle (like non auto-dimming mirrors)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHSr0J_l8EY

They don't flip the image - what would be the advantage? Things on the right of the car will show on the right of the image (which is they way our brains are used to processing the info). It would be extremely disorienting to have the view in the "mirror" a non-mirror image. Back-up cameras are a "mirror image" for the same reason.

This is great. I like that you can switch back with a toggle

I do not really care for the camera rearview mirror, feels kind of like a gimick to me. Visability with the regular mirrors seems to be fine.

kicoken said:
I do not really care for the camera rearview mirror, feels kind of like a gimick to me. Visability with the regular mirrors seems to be fine.

Each to his own.

This is a hatchback and quite likely it will get loaded up with stuff from time to time.

Be nice to be able to see "through" the boxes and whatever that is obscuring the view.

After using it for a week or so I am torn on the value of the video rearview mirror. It isn't as tall as the conventional mirror so you lose part of what you are accustomed to seeing in the mirror. If you are quite farsighted you might have a clarity issue since it places the focal point close in for objects that are in reality far away. I'm farsighted myself and wear variable bifocals. Hasn't been a problem for me. The camera also picks up wet and dirt (it can be cleaned with the rear window washer). Advantages are it never needs to be adjusted for different drivers or positions and provides a wider view of the road behind. Innovation or gimmick? Flip a coin.

I think it's a great thing... for day time. At night, the video noise resulting from amplifying dark scenes turns the mirror into a smeary, grey image.

During the day though, the image is bright and clear and totally unobstructed. It takes some getting used to as the field of view is different. But for those who try it, I bet most will be using it full time during the day.

I also have a split second delay in focusing on the camera rear view mirror. It's my eyes, not the car but it's disconcerting enough that I'm back on the mirror. I'll try it more later. The camera display is quite clear and bright.

The only time I find myself using it is in a parking lot. Basically I flip it on look before reversing and flip it back again as soon as I move forward.

I like the camera because of the wider view it provides, and use it at all times. The first time I looked at it while driving, it took a moment to focus on it. Since then, it's been as easy as the mirror. You do need to remember objects in camera display are closer than they appear. Only time I flipped off the camera was on a rainy night, when the view was distorted by a raindrop on the lens.

I am trying to get used to the camera rear view mirror. Makes me a little dizzy. But it is such a terrific innovation that increases visibility to the rear, I am forcing myself to use it. Big change after 60+ years of driving with a real mirror. Any one else experiencing the challenge in the adjustment?

We only use the camera view. No glare at night and clean vision. Maybe in rain, we may consider the mirror view, but have not yet toggled it.

It's a little hard to refocus your eyes on. I've been driving the car a week now. You have to refocus closely onto the mirror itself. Switching back and forth from looking way forward to looking in the camera mirror takes a moment longer that simply looking at a reflection of the rear view.

the mirror is a reverse image just like looking in a mirror. the license plates read backwards like they are suppose to

it also doesn't work very well at night. Blurry and out of focus. needs a night vision sensor or something

Great during the day; but at night, it is not as clear. Rear washer cleaning camera lense great feature.

gmvoltguy said:
Sounds like the NHTSA has approved use of a camera/electronic display in place of a rear view mirror for the GM Bolt electric vehicle.

Do you think this will be an easy thing to get used to? Or will it take a bit?

Trying to think too if the image will be 'reversed' like a mirror image or if they'll use technology to flip it.

If I have read correctly from other articles the rear view camera was fist on the Cadillac CT6. It was approved then. I have no problem adjusting. Took one car ride. I have always adjust to changes very quickly when they work. This works great. To have 60 degrees more visibility is the best and to not see you friends big noggen in the mirror is priceless.
Only change would be to have the screen from edge to edge like new TVS. Then it would be perfect.

dandrewk said:
I think it's a great thing... for day time. At night, the video noise resulting from amplifying dark scenes turns the mirror into a smeary, grey image.

During the day though, the image is bright and clear and totally unobstructed. It takes some getting used to as the field of view is different. But for those who try it, I bet most will be using it full time during the day.

That's precisely my experience after 2 months of ownership.

Back