Can Bolts charge at Tesla superchargers yet?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccrkbarthel

Has anybody actually done this successfully yet? I was planning a trip to western New York state to view the solar eclipse April 8, 2024. the A Better Route Planner (ABRP) app planned me into a Tesla charging station. It knows I have a 2017 Bolt and I told it only to show me stations with CCS charging bays. I've found a lot of conflicting information on the Internet about this. I want to know if I can trust ABRP or not.

are more Magic Dock Stations coming on line ? any info on schedule ? I charged at one about a year ago and had thought the expansion would cease as most manufacturers are adopting the NACS plug. Many, such as Ford, Rivian, Volvo..., are sending owners CCS-NACS adaptors this year. Unfortunately not GM...yet

This is an important issue. I look forward to seeing an cogent summary of what can be done right now. I have a CCS to Tesla adapter, which I have used at hotels with Tesla 240 volt facilities, but I have never tried to use the Tesla supercharger network.

I also plan to take my 2017 Bolt to look at the solar eclipse. :) Following this thread for details. Hopefully we won't be waiting in line for days to charge up. ;-)

I want to know if I can trust ABRP or not.
You definitely cannot trust ABRP for station information.
I have been routed to stations that were planned, but no construction had even started.
A Mercedes dealer that charged $40 for non-Mercedes.
Walmart locations where EVgo stations had been removed, and ABRP would not delist them because their vendor said they were still there.

Tesla stations with Magic Docks, listed as CCS on Plugshare, are available for Bolts to charge.
Plugshare, toggle all networks off except Tesla Supercharger, select CCS as your plug.

There were only nine nationwide, initially, but now I see 53 nationwide
Ames, Iowa is on the list, "This Supercharger is open to Tesla vehicles and non Tesla vehicles with CCS compatibility".

I have ordered a Lectron Tesla supercharger to CCS adapter. Will this work on any supercharger with the Tesla app and proper payment methods?

I have ordered a Lectron Tesla supercharger to CCS adapter. Will this work on any supercharger with the Tesla app and proper payment methods?

Only Fords will work today, because they are the only manufacturer that has announced that they will work.

In my Tesla app, with a car of "Chevy Bolt + NACS DC Adapter", only the stations equipped with Magic Dock show up. The Plugshare listing says "Tesla (Fast), CCS/SAE"

Changing the Tesla App filter to a Ford Mach-E with adapter shows several Tesla stations near me.
One that doesn't show up in the Tesla App has a banner in Plug share that says "Tesla Drivers Only".

In addition to that, older model Tesla Superchargers will never work.
Plugshare suggests setting the filter to "greater than 200 kW" to eliminate the Superchargers that won't work with the adapter. That charge rate filter would also block most EVgo stations, most Chargepoint locations, and a lot of EA stations.

From the Lectron Vortex page:
Q: When can they use this plug with the Supercharger since the functionality for the Tesla Supercharger is not active yet?
A: The functionality for Superchargers and non-Tesla electric vehicles using the Tesla / North American Charging Standard is expected to become active in early 2024. To coincide with this functionality, the Lectron Vortex Plug is scheduled to commence shipping in January 2024.

Last edited:
Back