Can't add False Floor later?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EldRick said:
Why not check with a Parts department to see if you can just order the pieces before making plans to do-it-yourself?

I suspect you will find the same thing I found with the rubberized floor mats. They exist on the ordering page but not as separate parts/accessories yet.

I'd give it a couple months to see what becomes available through normal channels. At that point you'd probably be able to pick it up for a slight discount from one of the online parts dealers (frequently these are internet storefronts for existing dealers).

Fremont Chevrolet quoted me:

$255.20 to order the false floor today. (and presumably the brackets - I asked for them, since I suppose current owners could soil or damage just their floor).

As it is a special order it needs to be pre-paid.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone 3D printed the brackets, included the screws, and provided a roll of sketch paper with a 1:1 drawing of the actual floor for cutting by the user, all for maybe 20-40 bucks.

Whoever decides to 3D-print something like this could sell a few dozen copies and it would easily pay for their equipment/materials, and then some. You can get a good monoprice 3D printer for less than 300 bucks that could easily handle this, which makes clean 3D output.

flamaest said:
I wouldn't be surprised if someone 3D printed the brackets, included the screws, and provided a roll of sketch paper with a 1:1 drawing of the actual floor for cutting by the user, all for maybe 20-40 bucks.
You don't need 3D printing, you just have to include a trace for cutting the brackets out of 1" plywood - it would work just as well.

Ya, I'm starting to think this way too.
However, 3D printing one might be fun just for the heck of it.

SeanNelson said:
flamaest said:
You don't need 3D printing, you just have to include a trace for cutting the brackets out of 1" plywood - it would work just as well.

ahh, good point, this would also work.

michael said:
When people tell me it's dangerous to use an extension cord, I say:

off topic but: I went into the Home Depot parking lot during december, it was raining cats and dogs, and they were sawing up xmas trees with an electric chainsaw. The extension cord they were using ran from the store across the driveway, submerged in about 2 inches of water and unprotected from the constant stream of cars coming into the parking lot and running it over. There was a time I would have said something about it, but in my advanced age I have learned not to educate stupid people.

I went back again a few days later. Same setup, but they had put professional cord protectors across the cord. Never found out if they learned their lesson the hard way.

I have same issue, but on the fence as to if it is worth it.

One idea: just measure the space, get them to saw up a piece of plywood that fits over that space in the floor. Add a couple of wood feet, then cover the top with a rug that vaguely matches. Voila! False floor. Not as nifty, but a hell of a lot cheaper and just as useful.

samiam95124 said:
BBQ said:
I find a OEM false floor kit on ebay that comes along with the trunk bracket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-Tru...ash=item4b126bfd5c:g:wXQAAOSw4CFYrZEA&vxp=mtr

Ah, er, can someone verify this actually works? I don't need more arrows in my back.

eBay has pretty good buyers protection, so if it doesn't work you can just request a return, and it should be honored. If not you can go to eBay to resolve the issue. There shouldn't be much risk involved.

samiam95124 said:
BBQ said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-Tru...ash=item4b126bfd5c:g:wXQAAOSw4CFYrZEA&vxp=mtr

Ah, er, can someone verify this actually works? I don't need more arrows in my back.

Yes, I bought this kit. for my LT from this seller. Was the OEM parts and went in very easily. Proper color etc.
Came with everything needed including the mounting bolts and a rudimentary instruction sheet.
Main pain was cutting the plastic circles out at the indicated mounting points.

stuartm said:
samiam95124 said:
BBQ said:

Yes, I bought this kit. for my LT from this seller. Was the OEM parts and went in very easily. Proper color etc.
Came with everything needed including the mounting bolts and a rudimentary instruction sheet.
Main pain was cutting the plastic circles out at the indicated mounting points.
Using the GM part number (42547642) in the link, it can be found from GM OEM parts houses for less:

https://www.chevroletonlineparts.com/oem-parts/gm-tray-pkg-42547642

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/42547642

Your dealer should be able to order it as well. List price is $170.

I'm just going to get the $170 part from the dealer since I have some GM points to burn.

Just bought the Bolt yesterday and my sales person just tossed in the false bottom for free on my LT. I do not have the brackets to actually utilize it. Kind of a waste to give it to me if I can't actually utilize it, right?

Did he just take it out of another Bolt? When I added it later it came as a kit with screws, brackets and the floor all in a box.
You should be able to order the brackets and screws thru your dealer's parts dept.

steevj said:
Just bought the Bolt yesterday and my sales person just tossed in the false bottom for free on my LT. I do not have the brackets to actually utilize it. Kind of a waste to give it to me if I can't actually utilize it, right?
Heh, mine said he'd do the same thing. Good thing he didn't though.

The kit also comes with the "floor", so you may think about giving back the extra to the dealer - if you want to anyway.

I ordered parts from an online parts website for around $150. How did anyone who's done it knock out the plastic? I was thinking either a drill or a dremel.

Back