Charging from a 240 VAC 14-50 outlet

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wwhitney said:
SparkE said:
Do local codes specify that 240V breakers must have exactly one socket attached to it, and no more?
240V circuits can have multiple receptacles, however the circuit must be sized for the load to be served. If you have one EVSE (or welder) that you want to be able to move around and use in different locations, you can put multiple receptacles on one circuit for that purposes. However if you have two EVSEs on the same circuit, you will need to size the circuit to the maximum load that could be drawn. From the (2011) NEC article on EVSEs:

625.21 said:
Overcurrent protection for feeders and branch circuits supplying electric vehicle supply equipment shall be sized for continuous duty and shall have a rating of not less than 125 percent of the maximum load of the electric vehicle supply equipment.

I doubt any jurisdiction is going to interpret "maximum load" to be reduced in the case of "human interlocking." On the other hand, two EVSEs that communicate with each other to enforce a cap on their joint load would reduce the "maximum load".

Cheers, Wayne

ChargePoint has dual-headed EVSEs that share a single circuit. The EVSE provides full power if only one car is charging, otherwise it splits the available power equally between the two cars. If one car finishes, the other gets full power if it needs it.

I'm no electrician, but the paranoid side of me says that multiple sockets on a 240V circuit is not the smartest thing to do because you know a homeowner will do something stupid and plug-in two high-draw devices at the same time not realizing they are on a single circuit. Or forget that it's a shared circuit. The smart play seems to be just to install two circuits if there is room in the panel.

sgt1372 said:
djbiggs59 said:
However, I don't think you can "safely" connect the the L1 charger that came w/your Bolt to the NEMA 14-50 outlet because it is set up for 120V. Someone said that the transformer connected to the Bolt L1 charger is actually dual phased and can run 240 or 120 but, if it was designed that way, why wasn't it offered as a dual charger in the 1st place?

Note that only single phase power is common in U.S. households, regardless of 120v or 240v.

It appears that the Bolt EVSE can safely be used on 240v circuits without modification. Nissan Leaf EVSEs can be used on 240v circuits with simple modifications (replacing the 120v varistor with 2x 120v varistors, and minor wiring changes).

Best solution I have seen is the QuickPower's JESLA. More portable than a JuiceBox, more powerful than a TurboCord, and adapters available for any socket you can imagine. Not cheap, but seems worth the dough if you have it.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm

HotPotato said:
Best solution I have seen is the QuickPower's JESLA. More portable than a JuiceBox, more powerful than a TurboCord, and adapters available for any socket you can imagine. Not cheap, but seems worth the dough if you have it.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm

$899 for a 240V cable and a couple of adapters? Plus another $150 if you want the other 3 adapters? Seriously? That's crazy !!!!

Even if people think they're over-charging (no pun intended), that'll pay for a lot of EvGo 30 min charges -- about 82 at $10.95 per charge -- and that's WAY more than I think I'll ever do in the 3 years that I'll have my Bolt.

In fact, I don't think I'd use an EvGo charger more than 30x's during the lift of the Bolt (I've just used it twice so far) and I don't think I'll ever be in any location so far away from a public charger that I'd need to find a 240v outlet to use the darn thing.

Thanks but no thanks.

sgt1372 said:
HotPotato said:

$899 for a 240V cable and a couple of adapters? Plus another $150 if you want the other 3 adapters? Seriously? That's crazy !!!!

Even if people think they're over-charging (no pun intended), that'll pay for a lot of EvGo 30 min charges -- about 82 at $10.95 per charge -- and that's WAY more than I think I'll ever do in the 3 years that I'll have my Bolt.

In fact, I don't think I'd use an EvGo charger more than 30x's during the lift of the Bolt (I've just used it twice so far) and I don't think I'll ever be in any location so far away from a public charger that I'd need to find a 240v outlet to use the darn thing.

Thanks but no thanks.

Yes, but that's because of YOUR usage pattern. I can see why some people wouldn't bother buying any 240V EVSE. I can also see why somebody might really want a 240V EVSE with plug (say, no J1772 at work, but a 240V plug is available).

Just because something isn't useful for me, specifically, doesn't mean I am going to make fun of it - if it didn't make sense for somebody, it wouldn't be selling.

SparkE said:
Just because something isn't useful for me, specifically, doesn't mean I am going to make fun of it - if it didn't make sense for somebody, it wouldn't be selling.

And just because I say something doesn't make sense for me doesn't meant that I'm saying that it wouldn't make sense for someone else.

I'm just voicing my opinion about a specific topic -- the extravagance of a $899 240v cable in this case -- but I certainly am not generalizing my opinion to presume that everyone else should think in the same way.

If a $899 240v cable makes sense for you (or anyone else), go for it! It just makes no sense to me.

The GM extra charger is about $400.

The AV Turbo Cord single voltage only is $499

The AV Turbo Cord for both 120v/240v, which I purchased and carry is $599.

sgt1372:

What did you finally purchase as a charger to carry in your Bolt EV?

I had already purchased 3 adapters for different 240v outlets from evseadapters.com back when I had my 2013 Volt and just carry them as well when I visit family and friends and hotels/motels with a 240v outlet!

Back