Charging in a garage - need venting?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SilverLady said:
If the charger that Chevy sells meets those requirements (does anyone have specs on their charger stating this?), then Chevy should definitely know that the vehicle does not require ventilation - so they should have NO trouble giving me a couple sentences verifying this in ten minutes.

So why are they still investigating this after two weeks???

I have given a lot of information, requiring some digging with no help from GM, to our building department, but a statement from Chevy would just settle this. As far as the manual, my ICE car manual gives a lot more information on what kind of gas to put in then Chevy does about charging a new technology car. I didn't even see where the manual lists the specification on the type of battery (i.e., lithium) in the car. It calls it a high voltage battery, which can be anything.

I am looking to install a Clipper Creek HCS-50P with a Nema 14-50 plug.
Chevy should be able to provide you with the info.

But, the building department cannot allow/deny a permit based on the EV to be charged.

What if you are doing a remodel and wiring a 14-50 outlet for future use? --- No permit for you!!!

What if a builder wants to wire all new homes with garages for future EV charging (this is now required in some jurisdictions)? No permit?

What is the city/county/town that is denying the permit?
A little publicity exposing their ignorance may do the trick (and perhaps help educate other jurisdictions that do not understand EV's and charging requirements).

All you are asking for is a permit for a 14-50 receptacle that you use to plug in a UL listed device.
What you plan to plug in is also arguably irrelevant - the don't ask what you will plug in to each NEMA 5-15 in your house. If you house wired with a NEMA 14-30 for a clothes dryer, do they need to know the make and model and for you to get a statement from the manufacturer about installation requirements?
What about a 14-50 installed for an oven/cooktop? What documentation is required at that point in regard to required ventilation?

Lesson to others - don't specify EVSE on your permit application. Just pull a permit for a NEMA 14-50 (you will likely need to run a neutral wire that would otherwise not be required)

I made an inquiry to Clipper Creek. They may be able to help you on this....
Hello Gary,
My name is Charlie Douglass. I am a Customer Service Technician at ClipperCreek. Our HCS-50 product line is fully SAE-J1772 compliant. In fact, our CEO helped develop the J1772 standards. The HCS-50 is also ETL listed and tested to UL standards.
There are not very many vehicles left on the road that do not have the EV batteries fully enclosed. If you need more than this please let me know. Thank you.
Regards,

Charles Douglass
Customer Service Technician
ClipperCreek, Inc.
(530) 887-1674
[email protected]

If your municipality has a Board of Variance or its equivalent you might consider going before them. If you bring documentation and can convince them of your case they may have the power to grant an exemption to the building code or at least to direct the inspectors that they are being obstinate.

SilverLady said:
My electrician has applied for permits to install an outlet and a Level 2 Clipper Creek charger.
What model Clipper Creek?

If you have the EVSE already, is it marked "Ventilation Not Required"? If so, your EVSE is compliant with 625.29(C), so if you submit proof that the EVSE is so marked, and direct the building department to NEC 625.29(C), they should approve your permit.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
SilverLady said:
My electrician has applied for permits to install an outlet and a Level 2 Clipper Creek charger.
What model Clipper Creek?

If you have the EVSE already, is it marked "Ventilation Not Required"? If so, your EVSE is compliant with 625.29(C), so if you submit proof that the EVSE is so marked, and direct the building department to NEC 625.29(C), they should approve your permit.

Cheers, Wayne
Part of the problem may be the Clipper Creek (hence my inquiry to them).
From page 7 of the HCS-50 manual:
VENTILATION: Some electric vehicles require an external ventilation system to prevent the accumulation of hazardous or explosive gases when charging indoors. Consult the vehicle owner’s manual to determine if your vehicle requires ventilation during indoor charging.

Vehicles which conform to the SAE-J1772tm standard for communication can inform the charge station that they require an exhaust fan. The HCS is not equipped to control ventilation fans. Do not charge the vehicle with the HCS if ventilation is required.

CAUTION: DO NOT CHARGE a vehicle indoors if it requires ventilation. Contact your Service Representative for information.

So it looks like it will charge a vehicle that requires ventilation, even if none is present.......

DucRider said:
So it looks like it will charge a vehicle that requires ventilation, even if none is present.......

If that's true, to my knowledge that would be a violation of the J1772 standard, and it would surprise me as Clipper Creek is a respected name. But it's possible. In which case the OP could try a different brand of EVSE that is properly labeled and properly refuses to charge if the car tells it ventilation is required.

Cheers, Wayne

Back