Charging in the rain

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usain

I've just ordered by Bolt and it's my first EV.

So I'm wondering, is there anything I need to be aware of to make sure I don't generate smoke and sparks while charging in the rain?

No, don't worry about it. The connector doesn't go "live" until it's plugged into the car. They worked this all out.

Yes, it's too soon.

So if it's pouring rain and the connectors are wet I can just plug and charge as usual?

I assume the engineers did think of this, but it would be interesting to know what protections are in place.

Usain said:
So if it's pouring rain and the connectors are wet I can just plug and charge as usual?
Well... the outside of the cable might be wet, but unless you left it facing upwards the actual contacts in the plug should be dry. And the contacts in the car's socket should be dry as well.

If the plug end of the cable had been lying submerged in a pool of water I don't think I'd trust it without a thorough dry-out, but short of that kind of extreme scenario that you should be OK.

"I'm singin', and chargin' in the rain!"

Attachments

• il_340x270.1049262327_fg24.jpg
    il_340x270.1049262327_fg24.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 11,511
I charge in the rain all the time. The contacts are deep set. I hold the plug facing down and connect quickly and it's never been a problem.

But if there's even the slightest chance of lightening, I never plug in. Not worth the risk.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I charge in the rain all the time. The contacts are deep set. I hold the plug facing down and connect quickly and it's never been a problem.

But if there's even the slightest chance of lightening, I never plug in. Not worth the risk.

I would think if you are that close to the end of your pregnancy, that you would want to keep the car as fully charged as possible. Just in case.

Dictionary.com said:
Lightening (noun): the descent of the uterus into the pelvic cavity, occurring toward the end of pregnancy, changing the contour of the abdomen and facilitating breathing by lessening pressure under the diaphragm.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/lightening

Usain said:
Yes, it's too soon.

I assume the engineers did think of this, but it would be interesting to know what protections are in place.

You can read up on the J1772 standard, but basically the EVSE (the wall unit) communicates with the car once the connection is made, and only then do the contacts go "hot"

If any ground leakage current is detected, the EVSE shuts down the power to the car. Similar arrangement to what is provided for outlets in your bathroom and kitchen, any area where electric shock is at greater risk.

michael said:
Usain said:
Yes, it's too soon.

You can read up on the J1772 standard, but basically the EVSE (the wall unit) communicates with the car once the connection is made, and only then do the contacts go "hot"

If any ground leakage current is detected, the EVSE shuts down the power to the car. Similar arrangement to what is provided for outlets in your bathroom and kitchen, any area where electric shock is at greater risk.
Thank you so much. That's just the answer I was looking for.

Imagine what the world would be like if Chevy (and other EV manufacturers) didn't think of this!

The Takata air bags have saved way more lives than they have taken, and look at the lawsuits and hoopla over that!

Biggest risk is if your cord, the short end is cut or damaged, or you get a shock plugging it into the wall.

Makers recommend you permanently install your home connection, so you attach it to the wall socket once. One and done. (One chance of shock.)

Unfortunately, I'm a worst case senario.
I charge with 120 volts at work.
I must plug and unplug every day from the wall socket. Well, 4 days a week. (I work four, 13 hour shifts per week.... so I get over 50 miles of charge per shift, and my commute is 44 miles, so it works fine.)
That said, it is no more dangerous than plugging in a vacuum cleaner every day. ( And the wall socket is supposed to be GFCI circuit breaker protected too. So again, very hard to get hurt.)

The car end plug & socket is very safe for use in wet & dry conditions. If you tried to intentionally kill yourself I don't think you could.

gpsman said:
The Takata air bags have saved way more lives than they have taken, and look at the lawsuits and hoopla over that!
You say that as if it has any real significance...

I remember in the 1970's representatives of the auto industry argued against air bags because of the large cost to replace to them by the consumer AFTER their use!

I remember when then Governor Perry of Texas suggested that Texas secede from the United States! Would then building the Border Wall on the Oklahoma border save us billions of dollars?

All of these suggestions seem sound at the time until they are given deeper thought!

Maybe you'd feel differently if you had a friend or loved one who was severely injured or even killed by a defective Takata air bag, years after Takata knew about the defect? Would that affect your thinking? Just a thought...

Doesn't have much to do about charging an EV in the rain, but, then again, you brought it up, and it's a slow day for me! :lol:

Back