Chevy Bolt vs Tesla Model 3 cost

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjr

Chevrolet says the Bolt will be around $30,000 after incentives - is it safe to assume the MSRP will be $37,500?

Comparing the Bolt at $37,500 to the Model 3 at $35,000 (Tesla has said that is a pre-incentive price), the Tesla appears to be cheaper than the Bolt.

However, the Model 3 at the base price will likely not have many features, but no one yet knows how far it will be stripped down. Will it have power seats? What about air suspension like the Model S?

On the other hand, Chevrolet is likely to sell the Bolt (at first at least) in only one well equipped trim.

In addition, for USA buyers of the Model 3, if the $7500 credit is phased out at 200,000 units, then the Model 3 may not even be out in time to get the full credit. Thus, the Bolt additionally cheaper by the difference in incentives from $7500 to whatever the Model 3 qualifies for.

I think you're right. When you calculate everything and include the features, Chevy bolt becomes the cheaper car.

The biggest advantage that the Bolt has is that you will most likely be able to buy or lease one within six months. I expect to have 30,000 miles on my Bolt before I see any significant number of Models 3 driving around the streets of Los Angeles.

I saw my very first hydrogen car on the road yesterday!

In Europa we have no clue about the price for the Bolt/Ampera-e, they have only said it will be affordable. The price tag for BMW i3 starts at 40 000 dollar. I hope the Ampera-e will be in the same price as the i3. In Sweden where I live we have 25 % sales tax, that's the biggest reason for higher prices on cars. If the Model 3 will be sold at same margin/cost as model S the price for model 3 will start at around 46 000 dollar. Some people believe the Ampera-e will cost more than 50 000 dollar. I really hope they are wrong.

Bolt/Ampera-e will hopefully be my first EV very soon and in 4 years when I believe the Model 3 will come to Europe it might be my second EV. No more ICE car after that

To be fair, by the time you can buy a Model III, GM may also have exceeded their 200,000 cars. Within this decade, neither the Bolt nor the Model III will qualify for the credit any longer. Both will be back to a level playing field.

I agree that the $35,000 Model III will likely be far more stripped down than the $37,500 Bolt. In fact, a lower-priced Bolt may be available within a few years. About the same time that the Model III shows up. I suspect that when comparably equipped, the Bolt will always be a few thousand less than the Model III.

By the time Tesla Model 3 releases, chances are Bolt EV will release a lower priced version with stripped down features. But it's still gonna be more cost effective than Tesla Model 3.

Back