Coast -to-coast dreaming

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastocean

My son and I were having a brainstorming session, and began considering what it would take to drive a Bolt coast to coast. Tesla a few years ago did a 5-day San Francisco to New York publicity trip with 2 cars. Of course, they had a proprietary system to rely on.

Today, for a Bolt to do so would be difficult to plan. PlugShare has a route planner, but it seems a little limited. It shows all the station along the route, but not the distances. Thus, it would be a long and complicated planning process. Other programs show similar information. In the mid-west, the EVSE network, at first glance, appears sparse.. Along the coasts, there appears to be many more chargers..

If you were a private pilot, there is automated flight planning software. I have not heard of similar road trip planning software.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I missing the some glorious software?

Eastocean said:
Am I missing the some glorious software?

https://www.evtripplanner.com/

Is missing features, charging station database is a little scanty, and is Tesla centric. Charging rates are generally just wrong. Run by a college student. Send him a donation and ask for Bolt support.

Plugshare has the best database I'm aware of. There are some big holes in the charging map.

Getting an EVSE that handles campground plugs would allow some trips that wouldn't be possible otherwise. Campgrounds have "30 amp" TT-30 (can charge at 24 Amps at 120V) and "50 Amp" NEMA 14-50 (can charge at 40 Amps at 240V).

Note that the Bolt with stock charger is limited to 7.2kW at 240V, and I have not heard what 120V currents can be supported.

Back