DC Fast charging near empty vs. half full

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit that 90 miles has no meaningful significance to any of my real world driving/charging patterns, so actually I don't really care how accurrate that marketing claim is.

My frequent drive from home (Valley Village) to Santa Cruz requires a fast charge of 130 miles, but 150 to be safe. So that is MY real world standard!

That being said, the next time I use the DCFC at Keyes, I will more accurately measure the time it takes to charge the first 90 miles!

Depending upon which route I elect to use to drive home from Santa Cruz on Monday, if I arrive early enough, I will stop at Keyes and spend 30 minutes on their DCFC and see how many miles it adds to my existing charge.

NOTE: Great work on your charts!!

MichaelLAX said:
Depending upon which route I elect to use to drive home from Santa Cruz on Monday, if I arrive early enough, I will stop at Keyes and spend 30 minutes on their DCFC and see how many miles it adds to my existing charge.

NOTE: Great work on your charts!!

Zoomit has a good point.
To compare apples to apples you need to add 38% in 90 minutes. A percent is a percent is a percent no matter who's car it is or who is driving.

Miles per minute changes as your driving efficiency changes.

Damn: apparently the cooling unit on the DCFC unit at Keyes Chevy has been in need of repair for two weeks, so my 90 miles in 30 minutes test there will have to wait!

Yesterday I drove from Santa Cruz to San Luis Obispo to the EVGo chargers at the Marigold Center.

There I ate lunch at a Jersey Mike's while experimenting (successfully) with remote reactivation of the EVGo charger every 30 minutes twice (I charged for 1 hour and 15 minutes to obtain 189 miles) and then successfully made the 171 mile drive down US-101 to Keyes) with 49 miles remaining.

Back