DCFC Chevy dealer map

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodturner

I notice on Plug Share, that some Chevy dealers are starting to install DCFC stations. Will Chevy ever make us a map that would allow us to travel from one dealer to the next to do long distance travel?

woodturner said:
I notice on Plug Share, that some Chevy dealers are starting to install DCFC stations. Will Chevy ever make us a map that would allow us to travel from one dealer to the next to do long distance travel?
The DCFC equipment installed at dealers is a requirement to sell and service the Bolt. They are usually located in the service areas and any public use (if allowed) would be restricted to business hours. The intention was not to facilitate long distance travel and I believe they are 24 kW units. Even if they were available when and where you needed them, it would result in needing to charge for ~2 hours after every 2 1/2 to 3 hours of driving.

DucRider said:
They are usually located in the service areas and any public use (if allowed) would be restricted to business hours.
I was pleasantly surprised that the Chevy dealer up in Valencia CA has their DCFC available 24/7! Now there is a free option to the nearby EVGo in the Bridgeport Marketplace.

Although there are some reports, that during business hours, dealer customers will unplug Chevy's with other dealer plateholders in favor of their own charging.

We have a dealer in New England that is pulling his level 2 exterior chargers to replace them with DCFC. I hope this is a sign of good things to come!

MichaelLAX said:
Although there are some reports, that during business hours, dealer customers will unplug Chevy's with other dealer plateholders in favor of their own charging.
You need the rotating plate holder on James Bond's Aston Martin!

My local has installed a DCFC, but they have said that it is "call ahead only". Also, it is not available after hours (turned off with a physical key).
I applauded their efforts for installing it. But, it seems that not having it available 24/7 is missing people when they are most likely to "need to charge".

I love the Bolt, but everyone has a lot to learn from Tesla in this respect. Even Nissan put their chargers in publicly available areas.

I agree that GM is dropping the ball on leveraging the dealer network for DCFC charging. There is no requirement that the chargers be publically available or accessible 24/7. Dealers should see chargers as a potential income source, as they sure won't be doing a lot of oil changes on EVs.

Also, the DCFC charger I used recently at a PA dealership was only 24kw, which is pretty weak for fast charging, it's actually half-fast charging. Not sure if GM has any requirements for newly installed DCFC at Bolt dealerships, but I sure hope the new standard is better than 24 kw.

Chevy has over 4000 dealerships in the USA, that would be a great network, and a great selling point for any GM EV if owners could get free or reduced cost charging on that network, and if the chargers were actually fast chargers of at least 48kw capacity or higher, the Bolt can use chargers rated at up to 80 kw.

Back