Dealer never offered me 15k, only 10k

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooter123

Hello I am SO LIVING I can barely type.
Lake Katrine dealership in Kingston offered me many variations of a 10 k offer and NOTHING else.
I actually need to drive quite a bit. I happen to know from reading online that EV's leases are historically 12k max
so I went ahead at the end and asked if that was avail, and they said it was and gave me pricing for it.

The other day I heard that 15k was avail for the bolt and was ASTONISHED. Now that I signed the papers the dealer said
"I thought I offered 10 12 15" .. err NO you didnt! They offered to upfront CC charge me 20 cents x 3k x 3 years hahah.
Can you believe this?

Can you contract be altered? I will be out thousands of dollars quite needlessly. Where do I put in a complain about the dealership and the saleman? It's a CRIME they push 10 down your throat. I really never knew anythings else was available based on what they told me and unfortunately I was not shopping around dealership for leases. Talk about getting screwed!

scooter123 said:
I happen to know from reading online that EV's leases are historically 12k max
so I went ahead at the end and asked if that was avail, and they said it was and gave me pricing for it.

I find this statement interesting.
You never asked about a >12K/yr lease? You just assumed 12K was the max?

Another forum had someone complaining that the salesperson never told him his door magnets wouldn't work on the Bolt (aluminum doors). That it didn't have a CD player. Someone else complained that he was told that blue was not available. Information on these, and the 15K/yr lease option, is easily obtained online.

Sometimes our mistakes cost us money. Sometimes they have even worse results. It's not always somebody else's fault.

The .20/mi prepayment option they offered is quite reasonable. If you are going to use those miles, take it. If you are only going to use 80% of them, pay the .25 at the end of the lease.

I am just always amazed how someone comes on this forum for help and many times is just responded to as if they are an idiot and just rub their nose in it!

How is that helpful? How does that help the Bolt EV community and foster an atmosphere that encourages people to come here for help?

My mother taught me: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything!"

Now back to the OP's question:

Usually once you have signed a contract, you are stuck, especially in your circumstance!.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised when they offered me a 15K annual lease and of course, I took it! Had they not offered it, I would have known about it, because I was tracking information on the internet, but only barely, because I was literally the "first" Bolt EV off my dealer's lot on January 3rd!

As I have written elsewhere on this forum, I was shocked to discover the $395 disposition fee in the GM Financial lease, which was being forced down my throat (I was an Ally Bank lessee on my Chevy Volt, as my dealer well knew) and heavily negotiated a compromise!

It comes down to dollars and cents as to how many miles you expect to drive in three years and how much the overage will cost you based upon the lease you signed and the compromise they offered you.

Maybe if you push a little harder, they will make a better offer!

UPDATE: If you are not 100% satisfied with how they treated you, at the end of the day, do what I do:

Always
Be
Charging!

I always charge my BOLT EV to 100%!

Others on this forum say this will shorten the life of the battery over 8 years. However, after 12,700 miles, I do not see any evidence of this.

I do not see any prescription against this behavior in the user's manual and it gives me total flexibility for long drives at a moments notice.

And, like you, I do not care about the battery life after year 3! I only have a duty of care to do what I am told in the users manual.

DucRider said:
Another forum had someone complaining that the salesperson never told him his door magnets wouldn't work on the Bolt (aluminum doors). That it didn't have a CD player. Someone else complained that he was told that blue was not available. Information on these, and the 15K/yr lease option, is easily obtained online.

Sometimes our mistakes cost us money. Sometimes they have even worse results. It's not always somebody else's fault.

Taking responsibility for our actions is a quality in short supply these days. It's right up there with another guy on this board calling a routine flat tire "sudden tire failure" - and expecting the dealer to replace the tire for free. Another guy on this board threatened to sue GM because the Bolt didn't come with NAV.

Short of taking the deal to GMAC to see if they can amend it, best advice is the OP needs to own it, learn from it, and move on. Tough love, but that's the way it goes after you sign the deal.

If the OP would have come in talking about helping others avoid his mistake, the tone would likely have been a bit more sympathetic.

The way his post reads.

1) Discussing 10K/yr leases
2) Asks if they have a 12K/yr lease
3) Agrees to and signs 12K/yr lease, knowing that he likely needed more miles and seeing in the contract that additional miles will cost him $.25.

Blames dealer for not offering a 15K lease with nothing in his posting that he ever mentioned he needed more miles or asked about a higher mileage lease. Only whining that they never offered it. They also likely didn't offer him a 7,500 mi/yr lease. Once he indicated 10K/yr was't enough and he wanted a 12K/yr lease (what he thought was the most he could get), they likely gave him credit for knowing what he wanted. They also most likely didn't present the numbers for 36, 48, 60, and 72 month finance options with 0, 5, 10 and 20 percent down on each of them, just in case one of those is actually what he was interested in. They took him at his word that he wanted a 12K/yr lease, drew it up and he signed it.

If he asked the Finance Officer (not the salesperson whom he blames in his post for forcing a 10K/yr lease down his throat) about a lease with more than 12K/yr and was told that nothing was available, I'd also be a little more sympathetic. But only a little since 2 minutes of research on something that would "cost him thousands" before signing the contract is not a lot to ask.

If he was hammering them to get a lower payment and made it clear that was his priority, then lower mileage leases are what fit the criteria he was presenting. GIGO.

It's not clear weather you've taken ownership of the car yet, if you haven't you might have some recourse to back out of or renegotiate your deal, but being in Ontario I bet you have little if any leverage based on availability and demand they'll just sell it to the next guy.

End of the day though the seller isn't responsible for educating the client, whether it's the auto, clothing or restaurant industry it's up to the buyer to be on there game and know the value of what they're purchasing.

MichaelLAX said:
UPDATE: If you are not 100% satisfied with how they treated you, at the end of the day, do what I do:

Always
Be
Charging!

I always charge my BOLT EV to 100%!

Others on this forum say this will shorten the life of the battery over 8 years. However, after 12,700 miles, I do not see any evidence of this.

I do not see any prescription against this behavior in the user's manual and it gives me total flexibility for long drives at a moments notice.

And, like you, I do not care about the battery life after year 3! I only have a duty of care to do what I am told in the users manual.

MichaelLAX said:
Another "sympathetic" voice best left silent!

Some forum members just need to "get a life!"

try to stay on point man

I will agree that some dealers are hugely abusive on the mileage issue. I went to one dealer asking for 15 K miles, he kept coming back with proposals for 10K miles. "I'm trying to reduce your payments..." he said.

MichaelLAX said:
Another "sympathetic" voice best left silent!

What a "sportsman!"

7 day ban (msg was edited, BTW).

I hate to play "dad", but things have gotten out of hand the last few weeks, and private messages to posters haven't resolved the issue. This was the last straw (latest in a string of ... un-neighborly behavior).

I hope this is the ONLY (and not simply the FIRST) ban we have to hand out over the next few weeks.

Moderator comment.

duty_calls.png

Give it a rest. Take some time off. Read something. Take a walk. Go to the beach. Stay out of your sock drawer.

Back