Death to pedestrians!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeanNelson said:
gpsman said:
WE HAVE MULTIPLIED THE RISK of an EV colliding with pedestrians and compared it to REAL LIFE DATA- not therories, not speculation, not models, not assumptrions.
You have taken one point of real life data and mixed it with a very big, erroneous assumption (that noisemakers only protect the blind) to come up with a fake conclusion. Sorry, I'm not buying it, and I don't think anyone else with the ability to think critically will either.

Yeah, I'm not buying it either.

Let's face it, our EV's are otherwise nearly silent. The sound generator is a common sense safety feature. If the sound alerts a distracted pedestrian to our approaching cars, where's the harm in that? Who cares who's "at fault"...no one wants to hurt anyone, and if the sound causes them to notice us, so much the better. What if it's your kid crossing the street, who gets hit by a guy who purposely pulled the fuse? We live in a world of distracted driving, and distracted walking. We can call the device stupid all we want (and I agree that it probably is) but we all understand the reason why it's there: Safety.

For those advocates of disabling safety features, why stop there? Why not disable the daytime running lights, remove all marker bulbs, and paint our cars matte black to be as stealthy as possible? Collision avoidance, and lane departure alerts are a big problem? Hey, just pull the fuse. Damn those annoying seat belts & airbags too...

oilerlord said:
SeanNelson said:
gpsman said:
WE HAVE MULTIPLIED THE RISK of an EV colliding with pedestrians and compared it to REAL LIFE DATA- not therories, not speculation, not models, not assumptrions.
You have taken one point of real life data and mixed it with a very big, erroneous assumption (that noisemakers only protect the blind) to come up with a fake conclusion. Sorry, I'm not buying it, and I don't think anyone else with the ability to think critically will either.

Yeah, I'm not buying it either.

Let's face it, our EV's are otherwise nearly silent. The sound generator is a common sense safety feature. If the sound alerts a distracted pedestrian to our approaching cars, where's the harm in that? Who cares who's "at fault"...no one wants to hurt anyone, and if the sound causes them to notice us, so much the better. What if it's your kid crossing the street, who gets hit by a guy who purposely pulled the fuse? There is distracted driving, and distracted walking. We can call the device stupid all we want (and I agree that it probably is) but we all understand the reason why it's there: Safety.

For those advocates of disabling safety features, why stop there? Why not disable the daytime running lights, remove all marker bulbs, and paint our cars matte black to be as stealthy as possible? Damn those annoying seat belts & airbags too.

Careful there, Mr. Canadian oilman, you actually made sense for a few seconds. :p

gpsman said:
This is why I find those stupid noise makers so offensive. This is why they are literally bad for society as a whole. While they do not directly cause malaria, they are preventing malaria from being cured

I don't care whether anyone disables the noisemaker in their car. But I am impressed by this epic illustration of logical fallacy.

And, darn it, the time I just spent typing that response also prevents malaria from being cured.

{edited by mod. If you are going to quote an earlier post, make sure it is properly attributed. }

dandrewk said:
Careful there, Mr. Canadian oilman, you actually made sense for a few seconds. :p

While we don't always agree on everything, we likely have more in common than you realize. With 42 solar panels on my roof charging my car as I write this, I'm not your typical "oilman".

https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

In fact, I don't work in the oil industry. My handle is more about being a fan of the Edmonton Oilers than anything else.

oilerlord said:
dandrewk said:

While we don't always agree on everything, we likely have more in common than you realize. With 42 solar panels on my roof charging my car as I write this, I'm not your typical "oilman".

https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

In fact, I don't work in the oil industry. My handle is more about being a fan of the Edmonton Oilers than anything else.

73818109__sb_2800_25271332.jpg

Forgive me. :p

Back