distribution in less populated areas

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi I live in eastern north carolina. I can not buy a Bolt. There is no dealer for the Bolt east of Raleigh, despite many cheverolet dealers being east of Raleigh.

Here is a quote from a dealer:

Good morning , this is so and so with xxx in (eastern NC town). Sorry for the delayed response. At the current time xxx Chevrolet is NOT a Bolt dealer. The closest Bolt dealer I am aware of is in Raleigh. Hopefully in the upcoming years stocking cost with GM will go down and make it cost effective to stock a Bolt. Feel free to contact me anytime for further information.

My Question: do you plan to ease requirements for lower volume dealers? Was the dealer truthful?

IMO, This car would sell well here as there are a lot of retirees with 2 cars, one of which is only locally used.
Thanks.

Franchise dealerships are independent businesses...While the last I heard you at least need a DCFC charger to sell the Bolt, a dealer could chose not to sell various models...The SS sedan, ZL1 Camaro and Z06 Vette are pretty difficult to locate...

My advice would be to wake up early tomorrow and drive to a dealer that supports the Bolt...It will result in a much better experience...

winterescape said:
Bacardi said:
...the last I heard you at least need a DCFC charger to sell the Bolt,..
I do not think that is accurate as upstate NY has near zero DCFC and lots of Bolts
In order to sell the Bolt, you have to be able to service it. Part of that requirement is a DCFC unit. The DCFC is not required to be available to the public, and most will not show up on an app like plugshare.

Average cost to the dealer to sell the Bolt is ~$40K. The Bolt brings in little service revenue which is where dealerships make the most money, so there is little motivation for small dealers to get certified.

Additionally you need Bolt mechanics and reported on these forums, there may be only one mechanic who's Bolt certified per dealership...Certification probably costs money...

The ultimate solution to the dealership problem would be for GM to create a 5th brand/badge or bring back Saturn...All MY19 EV/PHEV will fall under the Saturn EV brand/badge...Stand alone Saturn dealership can exist, yet any GM dealership is welcome to sell and service the PHEVs/EVs along side their ICE offerings...The dealers who invested resources into the Volt, Spark, ELR or Bolt can continue selling EVs/PHEVs if they choose...Far better business model than forcing the small rural dealership in truck country to invest into DCFC chargers who'll most likely "anti-sell" them anyways...

dodahman said:
Hi I live in eastern north carolina. I can not buy a Bolt. There is no dealer for the Bolt east of Raleigh, despite many cheverolet dealers being east of Raleigh.

Here is a quote from a dealer:

Good morning , this is so and so with xxx in (eastern NC town). Sorry for the delayed response. At the current time xxx Chevrolet is NOT a Bolt dealer. The closest Bolt dealer I am aware of is in Raleigh. Hopefully in the upcoming years stocking cost with GM will go down and make it cost effective to stock a Bolt. Feel free to contact me anytime for further information.

My Question: do you plan to ease requirements for lower volume dealers? Was the dealer truthful?

IMO, This car would sell well here as there are a lot of retirees with 2 cars, one of which is only locally used.
Thanks.

Hey dodahman,

Could you email me at [email protected] with your zip code? I'd like to confirm on my end what dealerships in your area have the Bolt EV you want and need.

To review our privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Back