Do we know what size the Bolt is?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchev

From the pictures leaked today is looks like the height of it is somewhere around the Sonic or Trax height.
That puts it at a little smaller than the LEAF doesn't it?

It has 94.4 cu. ft. of passenger volume. A Chevy Equinox has 99.7 cubic feet, '16 Volt 90.3, BMW i3 84, Nissan Leaf 92.

Cargo volume is 16.9 cu. ft.

Externally, it's a bit smaller than a Trax/Encore.

And although it's a different forum factor, as a matter of interest, the Model S has 95.1 cu. ft. of passenger volume, proportioned differently of course.

Wow that's great for the Bolt. People see the exterior of the Bolt and automatically assume it's tiny inside without ever sitting in it. Conversely, they see the hulking behemoth Model S and assume it's spacious inside, which is strange to assume given it's sweeping roof line!

Model S does have a lot more storage though, I'll give it that.

Keep in mind that the Bolt is taller than the Model S. So it will tend to have headroom, and a more upright seating position, but it's still a narrow car so won't be as comfortable sitting three across.

They're also using very light and thin foam in the front seatbacks. This was supposedly intentionally designed for comfort, weight and space maximization, but it remains to be seen how comfortable the thin cusions actually are.

Yep, I've seen tall people complain about a lack of headroom in the Model S.

I'm used to my i3 seats, which are very thin. Hasn't even very noticeable to me, but seats are very subjective. I would expect some will definitely have a problem with the seats just like a certain percentage of people do with every car out there.

It was odd that Chevy claimed the thin seats were an industry first. Must be on technicality of the materials or something because the i3 seats are very thin, and I'd be surprised if the Bolts were meaningfully thinner.

2014_bmw_i3_det_ns_12814_600.jpg

I had a 1998 Dodge Durango SUV that had similarly thin seats. It allowed Dodge to put three seating rows in a much smaller SUV than the competition.

Back