Erratic Bluetooth Connection

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtarlau

Hello all,

We using Android Phones (the Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X on Google Fi) and we are finding the Bluetooth connection between phone and Bolt to be erratic. Sometimes it connects in seconds on startup... sometimes not at all, even after driving several miles.

We always get a connection when plugging the 6P or 5X into the USB. Unplug that and sometimes the Bluetooth will stay... most often not. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do (if anything) as a workaround to correct it.

I have a service appointment on Jan 24 at Rydell... and I will certainly bring this up then. I am wondering if GM might have a firmware update that addresses this Bluetooth connectivity problem.

Thanks in advance to anyone adding to this topic.

Cheers, Bob

FWIW, I immediately disconnected the WiFi feature in my Bolt.

Have 4G unlimited data w/Verizon. Don't need the wifi feature in the car and didn't want to pay extra to OnStar for something that I didn't need. Can also make my Samsung S5 into a wifi hotspot if I like (which I don't).

I believe this feature is available in most smartphones now. You may want to use that instead while driving your Bolt.

Foranyone with an AT&T data account, there's no reason not to use the Bolt's Wi-Fi. In fact, using the Bolt's Wi-Fi improves your reception in spotty areas. It also will allow devices without a data account to connect.

Re the comment from sgt1372: I should have headlined this discussion "Erratic Bluetooth Connection," (I've just changed the title) because that's really the problem I am having. Very erratic connections between our Android phones and the Bolt. Sometimes our phones connect through Bluetooth. Most often they don't.

Our phones always work with the car when we use the hardwire link through USB. So I don't think the Bluetooth issue I'm having has much (or anything) to do with OnStar and its Wi-Fi hotspot. Kindly correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks, Bob

Although both are wireless, WiFi is definitely not "bluetooth". WiFi is (as far as I know) exclusively used for 803.11 (wireless ethernet-style networking).

I now have a completely different understanding of your problem(s) .. :) . (My first reaction when reading OP was "why is he using WiFi between the phone and the car??")

Thanks "Spark E" - I have since corrected both the subject and text of my post to indicate "Bluetooth" rather than "WiFi". :D

If OnStar is using 2.4 GHz for their WiFi connection, then I can certainly understand why there may be issues since Bluetooth uses the same frequency range and phone antenna.

Ideally, Bluetooth is suppose to find a clear channel with the most separation from WiFi to help avoid issues. However, it is possible that Bluetooth isn't doing a very good job, or the WiFi signal is too strong.

Have you tried disabling OnStar WiFi from your phone if you have it listed as being saved in the WiFi settings of your phone.

If possible, I would disable OnStar's WiFi if no one else is going to use it.

marshallinwa said:
Ideally, Bluetooth is suppose to find a clear channel with the most separation from WiFi to help avoid issues. However, it is possible that Bluetooth isn't doing a very good job, or the WiFi signal is too strong.
Every modern phone and tablet in the world has both Bluetooth and WiFi transceivers and use them concurrently regularly. They're designed to work together. This is a solved problem.

SeanNelson said:
marshallinwa said:
Every modern phone and tablet in the world has both Bluetooth and WiFi transceivers and use them concurrently regularly. They're designed to work together. This is a solved problem.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

In reality, it's a intricate dance between Bluetooth and every other device using the over crowded 2.4Ghz frequency spectrum. However when one device is hogging the dance floor like Bluetooth beacons have been know to do, or the other device can't get out of the way or make itself heard, then it's not surprising issues occur.

As popular as Bluetooth is, Bluetooth would be better off using the 5Ghz frequency spectrum going forward.

marshallinwa said:
As popular as Bluetooth is, Bluetooth would be better off using the 5Ghz frequency spectrum going forward.

Easier said than done. Or, rather, the "old shit" will be hogging up the 'legacy bandwidth' for at least a decade. I *still* see my WiFi router dropping into 803.11b 'legacy' mode every now and then, slowing the wireless speed to 11 Mbps.

I believe "marshallinwa" nailed it. I took that advice... and disabled OnStar's WiFi from the MyChevy app on the phone... and that seems to have instantly cleared up my Bluetooth connection issues. In my view, that means extending OnStar's WiFi a total non-starter.

Thanks everyone for your views.

Bob

I am having the same difficulty connecting... when and if I do connect, it rarely auto reconnects for the next drive... Will be interested for any suggestions as well.

I am having the same difficulty connecting... when and if I do connect, it rarely auto reconnects for the next drive... Will be interested for any suggestions as well.

Back