Exterior Temperature on Display?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterTMiller

I've looked at all the driver information displays and searched the Bolt Owners' Manual but cannot find any mention of this feature.
My Nissan Leaf alerted me to low temperatures and possible icy road conditions. So far, I have seen no sign of this in my new (week old) Bolt.

Stuff like this makes me think seriously about waiting for the next Leaf - even if it is just facelifted and with a bigger battery. Of course, the next Leaf probably won't have a 'hilltop reserve' mode, either...

PeterTMiller said:
I've looked at all the driver information displays and searched the Bolt Owners' Manual but cannot find any mention of this feature.
My Nissan Leaf alerted me to low temperatures and possible icy road conditions. So far, I have seen no sign of this in my new (week old) Bolt.

Hello PeterTMiller,

Please know that you can enable Climate Notifications in your myChevrolet app. When enabled, you'll receive an alert if extremely cold temperatures are predicted in your area within 36 hours of the time you select the option in your app.

I've made sure to also pass along your feedback to my internal teams, and encourage you to reach out to me again if you have further questions/concerns.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

ChevyCustomerCare said:
PeterTMiller said:

Hello PeterTMiller,

Please know that you can enable Climate Notifications in your myChevrolet app. When enabled, you'll receive an alert if extremely cold temperatures are predicted in your area within 36 hours of the time you select the option in your app.

I've made sure to also pass along your feedback to my internal teams, and encourage you to reach out to me again if you have further questions/concerns.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

While this is a neat feature, it does not directly solve the problem at hand. Suppose one lives near mountains. It is springtime, so warm-ish at home. One then decides to take a Saturday excursion to the mountains. On the way up, the air temperature can drop rapidly, while the driver may not be directly aware. Suddenly, they may find themself in a spot cold enough to have ice on the road. They may not be thinking about ice, since it was warm back home. And the myChevrolet app may not have warned them about cold temperatures, because they are no longer "in their area".

The above is precisely when I have found the Low Outside Temperature warning most helpful. Otherwise, it is pretty obvious that it's cold out.

GetOffYourGas said:
While this is a neat feature, it does not directly solve the problem at hand. Suppose one lives near mountains. It is springtime, so warm-ish at home.

In Colorado, often there may be temperature inversions. Where I used to live in Colorado, it was about 60F with Chinook winds blowing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind

I drove about 10 miles to a lower altitude, beyond where the Chinook wind was blowing and into a temperature inversion, and the temperature was -20F.

While this is an extreme example, it shows why I value an exterior thermometer. Not knowing the local outside temperature is a problem.

WetEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:
While this is a neat feature, it does not directly solve the problem at hand. Suppose one lives near mountains. It is springtime, so warm-ish at home.

In Colorado, often there may be temperature inversions. Where I used to live in Colorado, it was about 60F with Chinook winds blowing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind

I drove about 10 miles to a lower altitude, beyond where the Chinook wind was blowing and into a temperature inversion, and the temperature was -20F.

While this is an extreme example, it shows why I value an exterior thermometer. Not knowing the local outside temperature is a problem.

True. That's an exception to the rule (we don't get inversions like that in NY). But it's another great example of when a real-time warning is better than trying to predict conditions based on local weather forecasts.

PeterTMiller said:

Wait a minute. I would swear that exterior temperature is displayed, I'm thinking upper right on the Home screen. Am I mistaken???

I can't check myself, as my Bolt has been in service for a week now. Day 7, and they can't even give me a diagnosis.

phil0909 said:
Wait a minute. I would swear that exterior temperature is displayed, I'm thinking upper right on the Home screen. Am I mistaken???

You are correct. It does show up in the upper right corner of the "main" screen on the infotainment display. It's shown on page 184 of the owners manual and talks about the sensor on page 187.
Outside Air Temperature Sensor
The outside air temperature sensor is behind the front grille of the vehicle. The vehicle uses the sensor information to display outside air temperature. The climate control system uses the information to adjust the climate system operation.

Upper RH corner of main screen! Yes, of course! Now I see it - Wow! It must have been hiding! LOL!

Thanks

Peter

I wish the time and temp would be displayed in the upper right corner of the instrument cluster display. When CarPlay is active, the temp is not displayed on the center display and the time is moved - poor UI to move a commonly needed display.

The Leaf's low outside temp warning is pretty annoying. It can be useful, but since it comes on at 38F it tends to get ignored as being too alarmist. A selectable warning at say, 35F would be helpful.

I've had three cars with "low outside temperature" warnings - Nissan Leaf, Ford CMax, and Honda Insight. All three seemed to be set at 38F. I had assumed that was an industry standard.

I don't find any of them particularly annoying.

PeterTMiller said:
Upper RH corner of main screen! Yes, of course! Now I see it - Wow! It must have been hiding! LOL!

Thanks

Peter

Awesome, Peter! Please feel free to reach back out if you have additional questions.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

ChevyCustomerCare said:
PeterTMiller said:

Thanks

Peter

Awesome, Peter! Please feel free to reach back out if you have additional questions.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

It would be a nice feature to have the ability to display the outside temperature on the Driver Information Center rather than on only the home screen of the main display.

With Chevy's horrid implementation of Android Auto (and its mini-Google-map display) you don't even get the time.

Back